Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 895546 times)

hutch

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #1275 on: September 01, 2015, 06:43:45 pm »
I liked all of Dee-lite's stuff....bet it was a fun show.

walk,on,by

« Reply #1276 on: September 01, 2015, 06:58:25 pm »
I saw dee lite at some rave way back when in the 90s, off of 495 somewhere, in a big field.  there was a stage and everything.  dc101 even talked about it.  lady miss kier was doing coke in front of everyone . . . allegedly.  I say that, because I did not see her do it, but was told by everyone, that she did.  the cops came and broke it up finally and some guy was crying because they took all his pot.

« Reply #1277 on: September 01, 2015, 08:49:22 pm »
slack

killsaly

« Reply #1278 on: September 02, 2015, 06:54:43 pm »
Juggalos And Maggots why cant we be friends?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssTA32P3ufM&feature=youtu.be

NSFW Language

If Maggots and Juggalos can be friends, then there is hope for our country.

« Reply #1279 on: September 02, 2015, 10:43:07 pm »
horrorcore...meh
is sad more than scary
slack

walk,on,by

« Reply #1280 on: September 03, 2015, 12:14:26 am »
there are, 125 thousand people who have watched that video, including me.  I,ve tried to come up with something to express how I feel after watching it, and I can,t.  I can,t move.   

killsaly

« Reply #1281 on: September 03, 2015, 09:44:53 am »
You are welcome. 

« Reply #1282 on: September 03, 2015, 02:10:59 pm »
oh keef

Rap ? so many words, so little said,? laughs Richards, 71.

?What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,? he says. ?All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they?re happy. There?s an enormous market for people who can?t tell one note from another.?
slack

hutch

« Reply #1283 on: September 03, 2015, 03:04:04 pm »
well he's right... name the last rap album you loved? Tribe?

all he forgot to add is that they are stealing the riff from some song everyone already loves.

Yada

« Reply #1284 on: September 03, 2015, 03:57:21 pm »

all he forgot to add is that they are stealing the riff from some song everyone already loves.

I agree with keef as well. Rap is pretty, pretty meh...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1285 on: September 03, 2015, 04:00:58 pm »
complaining that rappers are tone-deaf is missing the point about rap.  it's like saying that atonal jazz isn't melodic... no shit.  not supposed to be, nor trying to be.
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1286 on: September 03, 2015, 04:01:12 pm »
Ardamus is going to be so mad the next time he shows up to de facto panhandle on here in hopes we'll see his shitty, shitty concert.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1287 on: September 03, 2015, 04:10:25 pm »
complaining that rappers are tone-deaf is missing the point about rap.  it's like saying that atonal jazz isn't melodic... no shit.  not supposed to be, nor trying to be.

as Miles Davis wrote in his autobiography the minute Coltrane left his band and started with the weird free "jazz" shit like the 45 minutes of crap that is Ascension was when jazz died..

« Reply #1288 on: September 03, 2015, 04:18:32 pm »

true...Low End Theory was probably the last rap/hip hop album I have purchased or liked
well king krule kinda has a rap'esq thing going on...not sure if anyone in rap would think that counts

what's funny is the stones were stealing riff's from the American blues guys too
slack

hutch

« Reply #1289 on: September 03, 2015, 04:23:52 pm »

true...Low End Theory was probably the last rap/hip hop album I have purchased or liked
well king krule kinda has a rap'esq thing going on...not sure if anyone in rap would think that counts

what's funny is the stones were stealing riff's from the American blues guys too

its different to play the same riff in your own way... with different recording facilities, equipment etc...as part of a different song... than to take an actual recording and simply place your own words over it...

the concept of the Stones taking a riff that sounded like Muddy Waters or whoever, or Mick Jagger singing like a dead-on Don Covay, is different than Vanilla Ice taking the keyboard and bass from under pressure and singing his banalities over it..

I have a wonderful cd by the Hellacopters (HighVisibility) which at times sounds quite a bit like Thin Lizzy but its not Thin Lizzy... a lot of these rappers would simply take the Thin Lizzy recording and rap over it..

Now I happen to think a lot of early hip hop which relied on samples is tons of fun and I love it......but there is a difference between Deacon kind of ripping off the bass from Good Times for Another One Bites the Dust and the Sugarhill Gang simply rapping over Chic....or not?