Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 895262 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #1290 on: September 03, 2015, 05:29:27 pm »
making some big generalities there, hutch... do you really think all rap is exactly the same as vanilla ice?

and in case you haven't been keeping up, the age where rappers can rip entire songs via samples as use that as the only basis for a tune is essentially over.  clearing samples has become cost-prohibitive.  other than that Minaj "my anaconda" remake (which she had sir mixalot's permission to do, so nothing to clear), when was the last time you hear a rap song that was a clear, top-to-bottom rip of an old tune?  yeah... vanilla ice.  1990.  all those classic rap albums from the 80's and 90's couldn't be produced in today's environment.  instead, rappers need to use session musicians, royalty-free samples (i.e. music you've never heard of), etc.

i'm not a big fan or rap.  i listen to some, occasionally, but i've def not a fanboy.  on the other hand i feel that dismissing the entire genre as "inane babbling over someone else's music" is asinine.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #1291 on: September 03, 2015, 06:06:36 pm »
making some big generalities there, hutch... do you really think all rap is exactly the same as vanilla ice?

and in case you haven't been keeping up, the age where rappers can rip entire songs via samples as use that as the only basis for a tune is essentially over.  clearing samples has become cost-prohibitive.  other than that Minaj "my anaconda" remake (which she had sir mixalot's permission to do, so nothing to clear), when was the last time you hear a rap song that was a clear, top-to-bottom rip of an old tune?  yeah... vanilla ice.  1990.  all those classic rap albums from the 80's and 90's couldn't be produced in today's environment.  instead, rappers need to use session musicians, royalty-free samples (i.e. music you've never heard of), etc.

i'm not a big fan or rap.  i listen to some, occasionally, but i've def not a fanboy.  on the other hand i feel that dismissing the entire genre as "inane babbling over someone else's music" is asinine.

no I dont' think all rap is the same as vanilla ice, i'm aware of the changes regarding samples and dismissing an entire genre is a bit much BUT overall I tend to agree that rap is a waste..its not the late 60s with Aretha or the 70s with Stevie...these rap albums a year or two after release are consigned to the dustbins of history....they are not art with any sort of lasting impact.. of course there are exceptions but for example ibought the latest Kendrick lamar or whatever his name is and the most interesting thingsabout the album ARE the samples... probably the D'Angelo is closer to my speed.. I think it has staying power..but then again that is more a soul album than a rap album...clearing samples is expensive but its pivotal for the bigname artists.... that and a million guest appearances... I can't stand these rap albums 20 guest rappers..what is the deal with that anyways?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1292 on: September 03, 2015, 06:16:37 pm »
BUT overall I tend to agree that rap is a waste..

fair enough.  some people think that rock n' roll is nothing but "a lot of noise."  whachagonnado...
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #1293 on: September 03, 2015, 06:45:03 pm »
What year are we in?

There's a ton of good hip-hop that is very forward-thinking musically.

<cue killsaly>
احمد

hutch

« Reply #1294 on: September 03, 2015, 06:50:01 pm »
What year are we in?

<cue killsaly>

its really hard to say if its forward thinking unless you go forward, no? but I actually differentiate between rap and hip-hop a bit....maybe that is wrong of me... in any case, feel free to cite some current-ish hip-hop albums you think will leave a lasting legacy on music say in 10-20 years...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1295 on: September 03, 2015, 08:42:33 pm »
Since it's all about the controversial statement today and this has been buggin me for awhile..

I find most major label "neo-soul" acts to slickly produced for my tastes and their records leave me cold.  There are rare exceptions i.e Lianna La Havas.  But I'll be stickin' with Daptone, G.E.D. Soul, Hope Street Records, Acid Jazz, Tru Thoughts, Record Kicks, Ubiquity for my neo-soul.
T.Rex

azaghal1981

« Reply #1296 on: September 03, 2015, 08:44:22 pm »
Most of Timbaland and The Neptunes' productions from 10-20 years ago have made a big impact on what we're hearing now.
(Missy Elliott's ...So Addictive and Supa Dupa Fly, Clips's Lord Willin' just to name a few)
W/R/T stuff that will leave a big impact in 10-20 years, Kanye West's Yeezus set a pretty high bar and yeah, that Kendrick Lamar album is also up there.
What year are we in?

<cue killsaly>

its really hard to say if its forward thinking unless you go forward, no? but I actually differentiate between rap and hip-hop a bit....maybe that is wrong of me... in any case, feel free to cite some current-ish hip-hop albums you think will leave a lasting legacy on music say in 10-20 years...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:46:03 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #1297 on: September 03, 2015, 08:45:15 pm »
This, I can fully get behind.
Since it's all about the controversial statement today and this has been buggin me for awhile..

I find most major label "neo-soul" acts to slickly produced for my tastes and their records leave me cold.  There are rare exceptions i.e Lianna La Havas.  But I'll be stickin' with Daptone, G.E.D. Soul, Hope Street Records, Acid Jazz, Tru Thoughts, Record Kicks, Ubiquity for my neo-soul.
احمد

« Reply #1298 on: September 03, 2015, 10:15:55 pm »
This, I can fully get behind.

but as perpendicular to thread at this point as possible

true as it may be
slack

« Reply #1299 on: September 03, 2015, 10:21:05 pm »
e, feel free to cite some current-ish hip-hop albums you think will leave a lasting legacy on music say in 10-20 years...
I seriously want to know this answer too
since 1995...so past 20 years

Name 10 rap (hip-hop as the hipster prefer to call it) albums we'll be talking about ....in 10-20 years
(although I really would have a hard time making a list of indie/alt bands either...but that's not the point)
slack

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #1300 on: September 03, 2015, 11:55:58 pm »

Some of these guys are as market researched and tested as Josh Groban and Michael Bubbly. The cover for Leon Bridges album couldn't be more cynically assembled.
😐 🎶

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1301 on: September 04, 2015, 05:51:18 am »

Some of these guys are as market researched and tested as Josh Groban and Michael Bubbly. The cover for Leon Bridges album couldn't be more cynically assembled.

which of course helps to explain why he went from SXSW darling to a sold out club tour six months later.  and likely why one see more major label single/ep debuts posted up on soundcloud with the obligatory links to itune.   
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1302 on: September 04, 2015, 06:23:28 am »
You can also be assured that Andra Day is the next big thing, although her album is far to much in the Amy Winehouse range for my liking
T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #1303 on: September 04, 2015, 07:33:49 am »
And when az cites kanye as an important album to the genre and era, there is no point in debating.

« Reply #1304 on: September 04, 2015, 08:29:29 am »
And when az cites kanye as an important album
I know I thought that was one of the signs of the upcoming apocalypse
slack