Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 894881 times)

Space Freely

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #1710 on: May 25, 2016, 12:44:10 pm »

Gord Downie, the lead singer for the Canadian rock band The Tragically Hip, has terminal brain cancer.

Downie was diagnosed in December and "since then, obviously, he's endured a lot of difficult times," the band said on its website Tuesday morning.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1711 on: May 25, 2016, 01:28:37 pm »

Gord Downie, the lead singer for the Canadian rock band The Tragically Hip, has terminal brain cancer.

Downie was diagnosed in December and "since then, obviously, he's endured a lot of difficult times," the band said on its website Tuesday morning.

http://www.thehip.com/news/an-important-message-from-the-band/

sad, sad news.  like a huge number of a canadians my age, these guys were a big part of my high-school and college days.  these guys a bona fide rockstars north of the border.

there is a chance i'll be back home in canuckistan when they perform in august.  will definitely be going to that show if i am.  hopefully they do more dates, come this way, and we can get a show.
<sig>

walk,on,by

« Reply #1712 on: May 25, 2016, 04:00:28 pm »
the go gos on the billboard awards.  good, lord . . . what happened.

vansmack

« Reply #1713 on: May 25, 2016, 04:03:09 pm »
the go gos on the billboard awards.  good, lord . . . what happened.

Gravity.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1714 on: May 27, 2016, 12:37:39 pm »

http://www.thehip.com/news/an-important-message-from-the-band/

sad, sad news.  like a huge number of a canadians my age, these guys were a big part of my high-school and college days.  these guys a bona fide rockstars north of the border.

there is a chance i'll be back home in canuckistan when they perform in august.  will definitely be going to that show if i am.  hopefully they do more dates, come this way, and we can get a show.

cross-post:

Check out tonight's opening to Hockey Night in Canada, dedicated to Tragically Hip lead singer Gord Downie.
https://www.facebook.com/CompleteHockeyNews/videos/897019307091600/
<sig>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #1715 on: May 28, 2016, 10:52:06 am »
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:30:20 am by ßèétſ »
😐 🎶

walk,on,by

« Reply #1716 on: May 30, 2016, 09:24:39 am »
I love Spotify for most reasons except for this. They have a workout section where you can choose different types of workout music for the kind of workout you want to do, whether it's beast mode or chill or fast paced or hardcore or light day or whatever the topic is for the selection of songs they'll give you for your work out. The only problem is, that every single fucking one of them is 100% shitty rap music. According to Spotify, we're only allowed to work out to shitty rap music.

hutch

« Reply #1717 on: May 30, 2016, 10:28:06 am »
that is weird/. I always think techno is the best workout music..

killsaly

« Reply #1718 on: May 30, 2016, 12:09:11 pm »
Are you using Techno as a banner term for all electronic music, or do you mean techno, the genre?

killsaly

« Reply #1719 on: June 08, 2016, 12:42:18 pm »

moeszyslak

« Reply #1720 on: June 08, 2016, 03:18:11 pm »

Aaahahaha!  I think the club would benefit from a Surprise at the club! with Gucci Mane 

hutch

« Reply #1721 on: June 08, 2016, 07:47:49 pm »
I'm on a major reggae kick.. even bought 2 books about reggae

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1722 on: June 08, 2016, 09:19:17 pm »
WTF is books.

evilizac

« Reply #1723 on: June 09, 2016, 10:20:56 am »
I really enjoyed the Marley documentary from a few years ago.
Also, Rockers is great fun and a cool look into a semi-fictional world of the late 70s reggae scene.
Made in Jamaica is good as well for a more modern view of Jamaican music.
Not a fan of the The Harder They Come film, but dig the soundtrack.
If you can still find them online, Mikey Dread's Dread at the Control podcasts were really cool. Made me extra sad when he kicked it.

Reggae is definitely a genre that can lead one down a rabbit hole of culture and music... Ended up in a roots reggae band for a couple years and it took over my life, but in the end I guess I was just an overenthusiastic fan.   
WHAT?

killsaly

« Reply #1724 on: June 09, 2016, 06:16:30 pm »