Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863569 times)

hutch

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #1965 on: February 07, 2018, 09:44:43 pm »
Q is a badass....

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #1966 on: February 08, 2018, 11:19:54 am »

The Q effect
😐 🎶

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #1967 on: February 13, 2018, 07:07:51 pm »
😐 🎶

ggw

« Reply #1968 on: February 25, 2018, 01:57:59 pm »
"Today, in the age of Facebook, Google and Amazon, it's hard to tell how a new and growing musical artist could make it in the way we did," Young wrote. "The Tech Giants have figured out a way to use all the great music of everyone from all time, without reporting an artist's number of plays or paying a f--king cent to the musicians. Aren't they great companies!!! It makes you wonder where the next generation of artists will come from. How will they survive?"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/neil-young-goes-on-epic-vent-about-google/ar-BBJx8kb?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #1969 on: March 01, 2018, 07:54:00 pm »

Robert Plant has morphed into the Cowardly Lion.
😐 🎶

vansmack

« Reply #1970 on: March 03, 2018, 04:55:01 pm »
"Today, in the age of Facebook, Google and Amazon, it's hard to tell how a new and growing musical artist could make it in the way we did," Young wrote. "The Tech Giants have figured out a way to use all the great music of everyone from all time, without reporting an artist's number of plays or paying a f--king cent to the musicians. Aren't they great companies!!! It makes you wonder where the next generation of artists will come from. How will they survive?"
https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/neil-young-goes-on-epic-vent-about-google/ar-BBJx8kb?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

It's never the artist's or the industry's fault.  First it was the cassette recorder, then Napster, then it was the CD-ROM and iTunes, youtube, Facebook, Amazon....

The industry had Shawn Fanning and Napster offering up the future on a platter and the artists and the industry fought it.  Figure out how to get on board and be part of the future, because the past is dead.
27>34

ggw

« Reply #1971 on: March 19, 2018, 09:42:08 am »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1972 on: March 21, 2018, 08:19:37 am »
cool little piece on I.M.P. COO Donna Westmoreland by UMD

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10215112925472130&id=1101362495
T.Rex

« Reply #1973 on: March 21, 2018, 08:34:11 am »
glad to hear they are doing this...kinda like the 3 bands 3 bucks era (inflation...so it's now 3 bands for 3 $5 bills)
don't love the name 'homebrew'  but at least they are trying to cultivate local talent

All great bands start somewhere, and we want that somewhere to be right here at 9:30 Club. That's why we're presenting HomeBrew - a new series of shows carefully curated to pay homage to the local/DIY music that we love - all with the simple goal of giving the stage to the great bands that deserve it. The inaugural HomeBrew, this Friday at 9:30, features experimental alt-rockers Maneka, melodic indie-rockers Bleary Eyed, droney guitar lords Tosser, and a set from DJ Franzia to cap things off. Don’t miss your chance to sample treats from these budding D.C.-area artists. Indulge in the first HomeBrew – regret it you will not.

HomeBrew
MANEKA
w/ Bleary Eyed • Tosser • DJ Franzia
@ 9:30 Club
This Friday!
March 23
8pm Doors
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:35:46 am by S↑dëHã〒çh ✄ ☪ ☣ ☢ ☠ ☭ ♝ »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1976 on: July 16, 2018, 07:37:31 pm »

Bronx and Mariachi el Bronx drummer Jorma Vik called out Warped headlining act, Black Veil Brides for using potemkin (i.e. fake) amplifiers during their set

edit...this was from 5 years ago

"We use staging in our stage show. Also these are tattoos, I wasn't born with the batman logo on my arm."

AKA "no shit sherlock".  every band with a wall of speaker cabinets behind them is using them as stage props.  even *if* they are real Marshall cabs, with actual speakers inside them, they aren't plugged in and powered by an amp - but generally they're pure props.  having an wall of actually plugged-in stacks makes no sense technically, musically, logistically nor financially.  this article is the equivalent of "exposing" the lip-syncing of boy-bands or pop-tarts. 

that being said, i shit on this band for not even slapping some black-painted particle board across the back of those fake cabs.  that's just sloppy.  amateurs. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:39:12 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

« Reply #1977 on: July 17, 2018, 08:42:00 am »
AKA "no shit sherlock".  every band with a wall of speaker cabinets behind them is using them as stage props.  even *if* they are real Marshall cabs, with actual speakers inside them, they aren't plugged in and powered by an amp - but generally they're pure props.  having an wall of actually plugged-in stacks makes no sense technically, musically, logistically nor financially.  this article is the equivalent of "exposing" the lip-syncing of boy-bands or pop-tarts. 

that being said, i shit on this band for not even slapping some black-painted particle board across the back of those fake cabs.  that's just sloppy.  amateurs.
this I did not know...I can see in a stadium why a bunch of marshal stacks wouldn't really work
but at the club when bands have a stack behind them...are they always fake

Want to say it was sonic youth..and I feel like it was intentional...but their amps said marsha
slack

ggw

« Reply #1978 on: July 17, 2018, 09:43:20 am »
Van Halen, The Who, Neil Young, Grateful Dead... just a few of the many many bands that use or have used fake amps as part of their stage show. I remember seeing Green Day torch a couple of empty cabinets at the end of their Warped Tour show. This is such a non-story. Jorma Vik comes off as a bit of a douche.

« Reply #1979 on: July 17, 2018, 10:37:52 am »
Please tune-in to Forbidden Alliance radio on Sunday July 22, 2018 at 9AM on WOWD 94.3 FM. In honor of my interview guest, I'll play all 70s-80s punk rock songs from 9:00-10:30AM.

Then from 10:30-12:00 we will interview Ian MacKaye (Minor Threat, Fugazi, the Evens, & Dischord Records). Ian will discuss what influenced him to become a musician & label owner, and play his favorite songs.

In the picture below you see Ian, Skip Groff (Yesterday And Today Records, where Ian worked when he was in high school) & Henry Rollins. You can listen online at takomaradio.org (Takoma Radio)

slack