Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863659 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #2415 on: August 18, 2021, 08:11:57 am »
Anyone else watch the "This Is Pop" documentary series on Netflix?

Overall I would give it a B as some episode were far more interesting then others.

As mentioned in the Listening to thread, the one that turned to probably the best was the "When Country Goes Pop" hosted by Orville Peck.  The Britpop episode was weighed down by the umpteenth rehashing of the Oasis vs Blur chart battle, etc. 

The Protest song episode had the usual suspects Billy Bragg talking about Woody Guthrie, Public Enemy, etc.  But did include MILCK "Quiet" song which was a great addition. The episode on festivals was ok, except for the bit on the US festival. 

The episodes on Boyz II Men and the Swedish Songwriters\Producers cranking many of the current hits didn't really reveal anything groundbreaking. 
T.Rex

« Reply #2416 on: August 18, 2021, 03:40:52 pm »
speaking of one note guitar solos...
https://youtu.be/z8IGGylTjOk
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2417 on: August 18, 2021, 04:04:05 pm »
speaking of one note guitar solos...
https://youtu.be/z8IGGylTjOk

first solo: there are multiple notes, due to bending.  FAIL.
second solo: i hesitate to call that part a solo... but fine.  WIN, i guess.
third solo: legit.  WIN (although some might say the use of the wah is cheating...)
fourth solo: uh... "a few seconds later"?  how convenient to skip THE OTHER NOTES.  FAIL.
fifth solo:  legit.  WIN.

60% - barely a passing grade.  we need better next time.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2418 on: August 18, 2021, 04:24:10 pm »
Anyone else watch the "This Is Pop" documentary series on Netflix?

Overall I would give it a B as some episode were far more interesting then others.

As mentioned in the Listening to thread, the one that turned to probably the best was the "When Country Goes Pop" hosted by Orville Peck.  The Britpop episode was weighed down by the umpteenth rehashing of the Oasis vs Blur chart battle, etc. 

The Protest song episode had the usual suspects Billy Bragg talking about Woody Guthrie, Public Enemy, etc.  But did include MILCK "Quiet" song which was a great addition. The episode on festivals was ok, except for the bit on the US festival. 

The episodes on Boyz II Men and the Swedish Songwriters\Producers cranking many of the current hits didn't really reveal anything groundbreaking. 

Finished it last night actually. 

Auto-tune was my least favorite episode and When Country Goes Pop was probably my favorite:

(1) When Country Goes Pop
(2) Stockholm Syndrome
(3) Festival Rising
(4) What Can a Song Do
(5) Brit Pop
(6) Brill Building
(7) Boyz II Men
(8) Auto-tune

What can a song do would have been higher, but the Hozier story felt forced and would have been better to end on MILCK.  Agree that the Brit Pop story was like a USA Today story or British tabloid, nothing else.  I liked Stockholm more than you apparently, even though The Brand hasn't stopped listening to ABBA since we watched it.  Also, when country goes pop should have included more Tay-Tay/Kacey like stories, but was still really good.  In the Brill building episode, I spent way too much time trying to remember where I knew Linda Perry from, I know it wasn't producing Gwen Stefani songs, but then realized it was because I blocked her and her band completely from my life.   
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2419 on: August 18, 2021, 06:52:48 pm »
The problem with the auto-tune episode was they should have just focused on how it’s just another tool used in the recording process, but instead they got all philosophical about it.  Instead of highlighting  the reaction to T-pain’s Tiny Desk Concert, they should shown him winning Masked Singer instead

They only alluded to how vocals had been recorded prior to auto-tune… I.e. Bowie being one of the rare ones who could do one or two take vocals, or singers use to sing flat and they compensated with arrangements behind them..

Both the inclusion of Hozier and Linda Perry  seemed really forced… and was surprised Kacey didn’t get mentioned, but Neko did instead which was good

T.Rex

Space Freely

« Reply #2420 on: August 18, 2021, 07:48:15 pm »
I also liked the country episode best, which probably comes as a surprise to no one.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2421 on: August 19, 2021, 01:44:15 am »
everyone take a deep breath, visualize your happy place, and know that there is a way forward through the struggle:

How to Tell a Loved One They’re Coiling Cables Wrong
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2422 on: August 19, 2021, 12:07:24 pm »
Also, to treat New Edition as a passing comment in the Boyz II Men episode was criminal and probably why I stuck so far at the bottom.
27>34

Yada

« Reply #2423 on: August 19, 2021, 12:13:55 pm »
Also, to treat New Edition as a passing comment in the Boyz II Men episode was criminal and probably why I stuck so far at the bottom.

Considering they hired Bivens as their manager,  I think it was a given how much impact they had on the Boyz from Philly.

Space Freely

« Reply #2424 on: August 19, 2021, 12:17:38 pm »
I've got a voluntary, fun work assignment. Pasted below. Anybody have any good suggestions?

Share Labor Day Lyrics:  There are lots of songs that focus on work and labor, and maybe even some that focus on economics or statistics.  Identify your favorite and share the lyrics. 

Here’s an example:

I got a job working construction for the Johnstown Company.
But lately there ain’t been much work on account of the economy.
Bruce Springsteen – The River

« Reply #2425 on: August 19, 2021, 12:30:34 pm »
take this job and shove it might have some good gems
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2426 on: August 19, 2021, 12:31:33 pm »
somewhere Coldplay is kicking themselves over this...  "Dammit why didn't we think of this, to  go along with the box of the same album on different colored cassettes"

Lorde is bringing us yet another new format... The "Discless Music Box" at twice the price of a regular CD a steal at 24.98 list...  as it pointed even more expensive than an actual book...
T.Rex

Space Freely

« Reply #2427 on: August 19, 2021, 12:40:09 pm »
take this job and shove it might have some good gems

They said to list three. Combine that one with Career Opportunities by the Clash, and I'm two-thirds of the way there.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2428 on: August 19, 2021, 12:51:27 pm »
Don't Worry About the Government

I see the states, across this big nation
I see the laws made in Washington, D.C.
I think of the ones I consider my favorites
I think of the people that are working for me

Some civil servants are just like my loved ones
They work so hard and they try to be strong
I'm a lucky guy to live in my building
They own the buildings to help them along
It's over there, it's over there

My building has every convenience
It's gonna make life easy for me
It's gonna be easy to get things done

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2429 on: August 19, 2021, 12:55:59 pm »
speaking of CDs... if I had a CD player in the car I'd consider this from Light In The Attic...

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/8072-light-in-the-attic-cd-revival-sale

CDs are back, baby, and we’re celebrating with a limited secret bundle sale! $100 (plus shipping) gets you a random 15 CD bundle of LITA classics, rare gems, and more! Only available for a week (8/17-23), don’t miss out! From Hazlewood to Hosono, and Armchair Boogie to Zulu Rock, you never know what could end up in your bundle!
T.Rex