Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863241 times)

vansmack

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #2565 on: November 16, 2021, 04:23:22 pm »
Girl Band is now known as Gilla Band

also apologizes for choosing a 'misgendered name' in the first place

Just as long as the Gir-illa Biscuits and C*nt Sparrer don't change their name too... 
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2566 on: November 21, 2021, 10:26:21 am »
Just watched the Hulu doc on the Janet Jackson super bowl incident which is really well done… but wow what little has changed with regards to conservative outrage since then.. and it was interesting to see all the coverage from the time which I hadn’t seen because it was a non story for me… Justin doesn’t come off very well at all from that time period

And as a side note Kid Rock was also in that show and upset people for wearing the American flag, which of course is now celebrated but this fan base… dude could have been canceled at the time
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #2567 on: November 21, 2021, 10:30:41 am »
America is a prude.

Space Freely

« Reply #2568 on: November 21, 2021, 05:50:53 pm »
Not sure the Facebook link will work, so I'll copy and paste this story from the Wilco Facebook fan group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/390889574423674/?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=2026914127487869

’ve been a Wilco fan since the 90’s and I just joined this group to share an awesome story with you all.  My dad bought this Kapa Minstrel new in 1966 when he was 15.  About 25 years later, not having been played in decades, I convinced him to sell it at a yard sale (I was a young teenaged idiot, getting 10% of profits for helping!). So foolish. I almost immediately regretted it - much more so after I began playing guitar myself, and my dad’s death in 2008.
I searched for this guitar for decades. Kapas were never popular or collector’s items, and six-string Minstrels are basically impossible to find. They just don’t exist. Over the years I had asked around on Connecticut musician sites, searched the world on Craigslist and eBay, and just about given up. 
Earlier this week I happened across this picture online, which linked to a 2016 sale on Reverb. There it was - a scuffed-up, candy apple-red ‘66 Kapa Minstrel. I contacted the seller and it turns out he is located right here in Connecticut, and bought the guitar here in the state. I can’t say for sure this is my dad’s guitar, but they are so rare that I have a hard time believing two identical ones exist right here in CT, bought and sold within a few miles of each other.  My mom, sisters, and I are pretty certain this is the Minstrel that my dad played in his high school band in the late 60’s, the guitar I screwed around on for hours on end as a kid.
The Reverb seller kindly connected me to the buyer, and within literally minutes I heard back from him. Yes, they still have the Minstrel, and yes, they were willing to sell the guitar back to me. When I asked about the quality and condition of the guitar, he explained that it was well cared for and well used by its current owner…. the one and only Jeff Tweedy.
Jeff heard about my story and, despite being an avid Kapa collector, didn’t hesitate to sell it back to me at a very fair price - complete with an impromptu pic of him playing it! We did the transaction and the guitar was on its way to me within a couple hours of me first reaching out to the Reverb seller.
It arrived on Friday. It still sounds amazing and feels just like I remember - the stupid teardrop shape sliding off my lap and all.  I literally can’t believe it. I’m blown away by the kindness and generosity of Jeff, the Loft’s manager Mark who connected with me, and the original Reverb seller who put us in touch.
I keep getting emotional holding this guitar and remembering the days of me sitting in my bedroom as a young kid trying to learn chords on it, cranked through a tiny little ‘60’s solid state amp, my dad poking his head in the door to remind me that it was almost time for church. It feels like I have recovered and reconnected with a special part of my dad, and I am overwhelmed with gratitude!

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #2569 on: November 21, 2021, 08:33:45 pm »
That's a great story Space. I'm so glad you were able to find your dad's guitar.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2570 on: November 24, 2021, 11:54:23 am »
The story of The Wrens and their never to be released album  might not make for a captivating “Behind The Music” episode, but wow their history is seriously complicated

https://twitter.com/guardianculture/status/1463468822216646670?s=21
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2571 on: December 01, 2021, 02:26:15 pm »
Qobuz aka the man cave audio streaming site announced their top stream tracks, etc for the year. a site said it showed Qobuz listeners had "diverse" tastes if classic rock, with  a smattering of classical and jazz mixed is diverse...

QOBUZ TOP TRACKS OF 2021
Max Richter – ‘Richter: Exiles’
London Grammar – ‘Californian Soil’
Eagles – ‘Hotel California’
Fleetwood Mac – ‘Dreams’
Phil Collins – ‘In the Air Tonight’
Daft Punk – ‘Get Lucky’
Marvin Gaye – ‘What’s Going On’
Billie Eilish – ‘bad guy’
The Doors – ‘Riders on the Storm’
Melody Gardot – ‘If You Love Me’
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #2572 on: December 01, 2021, 08:06:41 pm »
Nick Cave …who else interacts like this with fans?

https://www.theredhandfiles.com/i-just-cant-forgive-myself/

« Reply #2573 on: December 01, 2021, 10:22:01 pm »
I don't read them that often, but the red hand files are just incredible
Kinda what his show at the Lincoln was like

this was a great line, gotta imagine he stole it: A person with no regrets is simply leading an unexamined life.

--edit...looks like this might be the source “An unexamined life is not worth living.” – Socrates.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 10:24:11 pm by himpathy-hatch ® ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2574 on: December 02, 2021, 11:39:39 am »
There are Emo Dance Parties, Gimme Gimme Disco: A Dance Party Inspired by ABBA, 90s Indie, Britpop,80s,  etc dance parties.

i've wondered why there aren't just a decade spanning Rock Dance party, here's a mix I put together awhile back... so do a shot of jager and fill the floor.. YOWSA!

Swagger - "Rock of Ages"
The Trailer

Primal Scream - "Rocks"
Grand Funk Railroad - "Some Kinda of Wonderful"
Kiss - "Detroit Rock City"
The Dead Boys - "Sonic Reducer"
Burning Brides - "Glass Slipper"
The Go - "But You Don't Know"
The Sights - "That Ain't Right Little Girl"
Easybeats - "Sorry"
The Romantics - "She's Got Everything"
Poison - "Talk Dirty To Me"
Social Distortion - "When She Begins"
The Rationals - "I Need You"
The James Gang -"Funk #49"
Foghat - "Slow Ride"
Guns and Roses - "Mr Brownstone"
Foo Fighters - "My Hero"
Thin Lizzy - "Boys Are Back In Town"
INXS - "Suicide Blonde"
Dandy Warhols - "Boys Better"
T. Rex - "20th Century Boy"
Lenny Kravitz - "Are You Gonna Go My Way"
Aeroesmith - "Sweet Emotion"
Night Ranger - "Sister Christian"

Opening Soon
Rated R for ROCK

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4QZZTXqb3CKz48nAScob55?si=82f012b128ec426c
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2575 on: December 02, 2021, 11:48:00 am »
part of what got me pondering what i would spin at a rock dance party came about while re-watching the brilliant Reservation Dog series which heavily features the Redbone classic 'Come And Get Your Love" in an episode.  it dawned on me this track could easily fit in with the 70s psychedelic inspired output of The Temptations, so i was adding to what would work along side these.  so War, Rare Earth, Meters, Sly, etc would all work... my mind works in bizarre ways most of the time..
T.Rex

« Reply #2576 on: December 02, 2021, 03:33:00 pm »
Wreck of the Old 97
Question:  In what state did events happen that resulted in the writing of the first country song to sell more than 1 million copies?  Answer: Virginia.
A 1903 train accident in Danville, VA was the inspiration for the song “Wreck of the Old 97” whose 1924 recording by Vernon Dalhart sold more than 1 million copies.  The ballad, which tells the tragic tale of Southern Railway mail train 97, became a staple of the country music genre, and is one of the most famous railroad songs of all time.
This is the story of the 1903 train accident.
Southern Railway had a lucrative contract with the US Government to move mail from DC to New Orleans, but the company was fined heavily for every hour it arrived past deadline at each stop.  On September 27, 1903, mail train 97 was late leaving Monroe, VA en route for Spencer, NC.   Because the train was late leaving Monroe, the train’s conductor, Steve Broady, had to hurry to reach Spencer on schedule.  When approaching Danville, the train famously descended a steep grade leading to the 45-foot-tall Stillhouse Trestle Bridge.  The train descended the grade so fast that Broady wasn’t able to slow it down enough before reaching the curve before the bridge.  The train careened off of the bridge and fell into the ravine below, killing eleven and injuring seven more.   The crash was devastating, not only for the families involved, but for the city.  The only good news were the canaries onboard, housed in a large case, who managed to escape and fly to safety.  The accident was immortalized in the song "Wreck of the Old 97."
The N. C. Transportation Museum has a well-put-together video about the accident and the song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ggBWk-Q_NY
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2577 on: December 03, 2021, 10:43:11 am »
Honest Question...

Has anyone listened to the Olivio Rodrigo album?  I gave it one listen to see what all the fuss was about and was like MEH, back to marginal UK bands for me...
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #2578 on: December 03, 2021, 10:52:01 am »
Nope

« Reply #2579 on: December 03, 2021, 11:14:59 am »
Honest Question...

Has anyone listened to the Olivio Rodrigo album?  I gave it one listen to see what all the fuss was about and was like MEH, back to marginal UK bands for me...
sadly about 100 times due to having a 12 year old girl in the house
it's not horrible and better than some of the other bubblegum stuff out there...like her way more than anything in Miley's catalog

Kinda hoping she DOESN'T tour as I'll be required to spend an absurd amount on tix/merch
slack