Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 1039098 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #3735 on: September 16, 2024, 12:13:13 pm »
Supergrass announce UK tour for 30th anniversary of "I Should Coco"

and per Mick "More dates in further flung places to come too."  hopefully more flung places on this side of the big pond besides NYC/LA
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #3736 on: September 16, 2024, 01:07:05 pm »
Supergrass announce UK tour for 30th anniversary of "I Should Coco"

and per Mick "More dates in further flung places to come too."  hopefully more flung places on this side of the big pond besides NYC/LA

Yeah I wish…

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3737 on: September 16, 2024, 04:39:15 pm »
Morrissey claims Johnny Marr now owns “100 per cent trademark rights and Intellectual Property” of The Smiths name – and can tour as band without him
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #3738 on: September 16, 2024, 07:00:46 pm »
How can this be true? Marr left the Smiths in 1987 and they didn’t break up when he left.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3739 on: September 17, 2024, 04:28:57 pm »
Marr just clarified the Smith trademark issue among other things, seem like Morrissey need to some publicity...

In terms of the trademark issue, Marr said he only discovered that the Smiths did not own their name after a 2018 “attempt by a third party to use” it. Afterwards, he contacted Morrissey “via his representatives, to work together in protecting the Smiths’ name. A failure to respond led Marr to register the trademark himself. It was subsequently agreed with Morrissey’s lawyers that this trademark was held for the mutual benefit of Morrissey and Marr. As a gesture of goodwill, in January 2024, Marr signed an assignment of joint ownership to Morrissey. Execution of this document still requires Morrissey to sign.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/DABxOVPI697
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #3740 on: September 17, 2024, 05:56:35 pm »
Marr just clarified the Smith trademark issue among other things, seem like Morrissey need to some publicity...

In terms of the trademark issue, Marr said he only discovered that the Smiths did not own their name after a 2018 “attempt by a third party to use” it. Afterwards, he contacted Morrissey “via his representatives, to work together in protecting the Smiths’ name. A failure to respond led Marr to register the trademark himself. It was subsequently agreed with Morrissey’s lawyers that this trademark was held for the mutual benefit of Morrissey and Marr. As a gesture of goodwill, in January 2024, Marr signed an assignment of joint ownership to Morrissey. Execution of this document still requires Morrissey to sign.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/DABxOVPI697

Peak Moz

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3741 on: September 17, 2024, 07:03:04 pm »
Technically Moz isn’t lying when he says Marr owns The Smiths trademark, he just left out the pertinent details
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #3742 on: September 17, 2024, 10:42:29 pm »
It’s just amazing that such a big band doesn’t even bother to secure their name.

One wonders if Moz had been the one to secure the name if he would have used it as leverage regarding a reunion:”listen Johnny boy if you don’t want to do the reunion I will do it without you..”

No matter what rights Marr gave Moz for sure it strengthened his hand…

Remarkable

« Reply #3743 on: September 18, 2024, 09:02:23 am »
Taken from jon Wurster's insta @jonwurster (such a great follow)

Lee “Scratch” Perry recording reggae versions of the Sex Pistols’ “Submission” and “Problems” during John Lydon’s trip to Jamaica in early 1978. The tracks were “not Perry’s best work and have yet to see the light of day.” (I was unable to secure a photo of JL and LSP, so here he is with Big Youth and a fun visor.)

From

great pic with lydon with big youth
slack

Bagley

« Reply #3744 on: September 18, 2024, 10:20:28 am »

Lee “Scratch” Perry recording reggae versions of the Sex Pistols’ “Submission” and “Problems” during John Lydon’s trip to Jamaica in early 1978. The tracks were “not Perry’s best work and have yet to see the light of day.” (I was unable to secure a photo of JL and LSP, so here he is with Big Youth and a fun visor.)

From

great pic with lydon with big youth

Irie!

BTW....Don't know if it's the original members, but it looks like we missed out on the Black Uhuru tour

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3745 on: September 18, 2024, 10:22:24 am »

Don Letts' memoir talks a lot about that Jamaica trip.  I never realized how much Lydon loved Reggae/Dub.  Made me look at early PiL in a different light.