Author Topic: Is there a worse "band" than Sleigh Bells?  (Read 15813 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Is there a worse "band" than Sleigh Bells?
« on: July 22, 2012, 11:50:01 pm »
Holy Christ on a pogo stick. Does Sleigh Bells even count as "music?" What the fuck is that shit? Oh, and when she screams...kill me now. Yeah, she's "attractive," but totally in a trashy way. I guess that's just not my thing.

Oh yeah, ticket sales were PATHETIC tonight for Hot Chip/Sleigh Bells/James Murphy DJ set. As in WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. Not even a fucking Hot Chip encore? What a joke.

$35-45 for that lineup at the Club would have been a reach. MPP? Tonight's lineup was doomed from the start.

As the NBA Jam announcer said: BAD DECISION!

azaghal1981

Re: Is there a worse "band" than Sleigh Bells?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:54:23 pm »
I'm not following this whole book 930 sized bands at MPP idea, either.

This is not the first time.

Oh, yeah, and Sleigh Bells are annoying.
But Crystal Castles are just as, if not more annoying.
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 12:12:17 am »
It definitely was too big of a venue.  I had a great time though.  I also had a free ticket, so that helped. 

Got Haggis?

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 06:28:43 am »
Yeah I had a free ticket as well - and agree that sleigh bells are pretty bad live. I was also a tad disappointed in James Murphy's dj set.  Hot Chip sounded great though?

At least Crystal Castles pretend they are playing live.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:18:52 am »
I didn't go to the show but looks like they don't do encores. However, they only played 11 songs (NY was 16  and Philly was 14).

Not even a fucking Hot Chip encore? What a joke.
(_|_)

imbecile

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:52:23 am »
Two years ago when they did their first DC show at RNRH, I walked out after about 4-5 songs as it was just an incoherent mess.  I somewhat wrote it off as them being very new to playing live and not having figured out how to deliver their sound and/or perform in a live environment yet. 

I'm not sure if i'm surprised or not to hear that it's still not very good.  You'd think with as simple as a setup as they have going they'd be able to dial it in and make it work; apparently not.

Driveway

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 10:00:12 am »
In my humble opinion, Sleigh Bells is the ultimate example of a tastemaker blog confusing people by convincing them that something awful is 'revolutionary.'

This SNL performance was all I needed to see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyxyu3WPIO4

Those guitars should not sound that bad with that set up.  Are they even actually playing?  If they are, they appear to be playing the exact same thing.  It's no wonder the singer sucks, there seems to be no discernible melody in the "guitars" or the super annoying synth that's playing.  Also, the guitar solo is one of the worst I have ever heard.  Just terrible.  This is 4th grade musicianship right here.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 10:11:44 am »
yeah i'm not sure if they are actually playing....i assume they are...however last night on several songs the guitar players left the stage and there was just a backing track with her singing over it

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:15:21 am »
i hate sleigh bells, but love HRO's coverage of sexi lexi.
(o|o)

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 10:19:30 am »
No worse than 90% of the shit that tries to pass themselves off as bands these days.

This is bad though.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 10:21:34 am »
yeah i'm not sure if they are actually playing....i assume they are...however last night on several songs the guitar players left the stage and there was just a backing track with her singing over it

Saw them a few months ago and this is standard operating procedure, I guess.

Not sure what their stage looked like this weekend but the lineup of Marshall stacks I saw were a nice back drop. How many of them were actually turned on is up for debate, though. I'd guess a third, tops.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 10:34:27 am »
Not sure what their stage looked like this weekend but the lineup of Marshall stacks I saw were a nice back drop. How many of them were actually turned on is up for debate, though. I'd guess a third, tops.

i suspect a lot less than a third.  like, maybe one or two stacks (i'm assuming that by "wall of marshalls" there were more than 6, i haven't seen their show).  they need tight control over sound so they can't have more than that interfering with front of house (PA).  i'm willing to bet that most of those heads & cabinets are props - there are no electronics, speakers, etc inside them.  they're just empty shells that look good (insert analogy here...)
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:52:17 am »
They're good running on the treadmill music, but I wouldn't go see them live.

atomicfront

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 12:44:33 pm »
First album was pretty good.  Second album not so good.  I saw them live at the Ottobar.  They were entertaining.  I don't know if they were playing at all.  Reminded me of the Kills.

As for worse bands, I could name a million. Starting with Wilco.  No redeeming qualities with them.  How about Deerhunter.  Or how about Drive by Truckers.  Or Clutch or Ryan Adams.  Or pietasters.  Tons of bands much worse than them.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 12:54:42 pm »
sounds like a list of great bands.

As for worse bands, I could name a million. Starting with Wilco.  No redeeming qualities with them.  How about Deerhunter.  Or how about Drive by Truckers.  Or Clutch or Ryan Adams.  Or pietasters.  Tons of bands much worse than them.
(_|_)