Author Topic: ticket insurance?  (Read 1569 times)

Bombay Chutney

ticket insurance?
« on: September 25, 2012, 07:35:22 am »
Has anyone ever used the ticket insurance offered by TicketMaster?   Their policies look pretty strict.  I'm wondering how difficult it is to actually get a refund from them.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: ticket insurance?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:21:04 am »
I had never heard of ticket insurance until I read that. Obviously, TM is looking for a new revenue stream. Instead of offering something real, they apparently invented something out of thin air. Before selling any such insurance they have to first sell the idea of it. Ideally, this works to make others think that it is necessary, puts doubt into their minds that without it they risk losing a lot of money. Sell the paranoia.

If you're prone to losing things then it might be okay, especially considering the price of tickets these days. Otherwise, it's just paying a higher service charge.
😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 11:02:18 am »
i've always considered it another cash-grab on the part of the vendor, just like in-store extended warrantees.  they almost never work out to the consumer's favor.

If you're prone to losing things then it might be okay, especially considering the price of tickets these days. Otherwise, it's just paying a higher service charge.

i believe the insurance is for case when you are sick, get in an accident, etc and can't make the show.  loss of the tickets isn't a reason to get insurance - TM will replace lost tickets: they cancel your lost ones and issue news ones for you at will-call, for pickup on the night of the show.  i've done this a few times, one of the services that justifies a small part of TM's fees in my mind.
<sig>

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 11:44:48 am »
No doubt it's a money grab, but they farm it out to a 3rd party.  I don't think TM has much to do with it, other than taking their cut.

They're quite explicit in that they don't cover lost/stolen tickets, change of plans, work obligations or most other reasons.  They cover things like a death in the family, serious illness, loss of job, moving, etc.   They even mention that you need to provide documentation of your illness, if that's the excuse you use.  No mention of documentation requirements for the other things, but I wouldn't be surprised if they required it.  I was just wondering how strictly they enforced it.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 03:46:47 pm »
i've always considered it another cash-grab on the part of the vendor, just like in-store extended warrantees.  they almost never work out to the consumer's favor.

i believe the insurance is for case when you are sick, get in an accident, etc and can't make the show.  loss of the tickets isn't a reason to get insurance - TM will replace lost tickets: they cancel your lost ones and issue news ones for you at will-call, for pickup on the night of the show.  i've done this a few times, one of the services that justifies a small part of TM's fees in my mind.

This pretty much covers it. This is why it's best to ALWAYS put your ticket on a credit/debit card because your name will then be placed on a manifest in case you do lose the ticket. Of course, this is only good if you are trying to replace a lost/stolen/destroyed ticket.

Missing the show for personal reasons is a whole other ball of wax. That's where insurance would come in handy. Then again, in the grand scheme of things, balance that out with how often you buy tickets and what it might come to over the course of maybe a year versus eating a ticket if you must miss a show. Guess that's all best figured out on an individual basis. Doubt I'd opt for it unless I'm gambling on a big ticket item and know there's a good chance that I might not make the show and can back up easy my loss.

So, if my dog ate my ticket, would the pile afterwards count as proof? Little shreds of ticket, like corn, works for me as proof.

andyrichter

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 08:17:34 pm »
No doubt it's a money grab, but they farm it out to a 3rd party.  I don't think TM has much to do with it, other than taking their cut.

They're quite explicit in that they don't cover lost/stolen tickets, change of plans, work obligations or most other reasons.  They cover things like a death in the family, serious illness, loss of job, moving, etc.   They even mention that you need to provide documentation of your illness, if that's the excuse you use.  No mention of documentation requirements for the other things, but I wouldn't be surprised if they required it.  I was just wondering how strictly they enforced it.

Do not get it.  I bought the ticket insurance from them last year because a show was going to sell out but I may not have been able to make it.  Of course I couldn't make it so I called for a refund saying I was sick.  They require documentation for everything.  If you're sick, you have to see a doctor within 72 hours.  I can imagine it's incredibly difficult to get your money back.

Jesse

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 09:01:30 pm »
I have lost tickets before for 2 events. Both were tickets purchased from Ticketmaster. Each time i called Ticketmaster, told them I lost my tickets, and had no issues getting the problem fixed and going to the shows. And I did not purchase ticket insurance.

I can't imagine what the benefits are of Ticket Insurance. Another way for Ticketmaster to get your money.

Darth Ed

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 02:52:25 pm »
I've gotten the insurance a few times for shows that are expensive, like around $100 per ticket. If it's less than $75 per ticket, it's not worth it. They are pretty strict as to what you can file a claim for and the documentation you'll need (signed form from a doctor, death certificate, etc).

I actually couldn't attend an expensive concert once due to a death in the family. :( I had the insurance, so I actually filed a claim and got my money back eventually. It took like 3 months, as I recall. They wanted an original death certificate (not a photocopy), which I thought was a little too strict at the time. (Death certificates cost like $10-20 each, and you always need more than you think you will.)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:54:29 pm by Darth Ed »