Author Topic: First show of the year at 9:30...  (Read 3227 times)

Re: First show of the year at 9:30...
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2004, 03:31:00 pm »
Well I wasn't going to school. I was working full time, and didn't have anything paid for me. Still managed not to steal anything.

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:

Makes me long for the college town I moved here from where I left my car doors unlocked all the time.
college towns are nice because everyone there gets everything bought for them while they are at school so they dont have to steal from each other   :)  [/b]

Bags

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2004, 03:34:00 pm »
You can always go back, Rhett.

I've been in DC for 14 years -- no crime.  Never lived in NYC and my car's been broken into twice there (no doubt the out of town plates are enticing).

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2004, 03:43:00 pm »
Probably because you live in a boring white part of town populated by conventioneers and tourists, and don't park your SUV in a sketchy neighborhood with nice shit locked inside it.

If I could take my job with me, I would go back. Maybe I'll go ask my boss if they'll move our agency to North Carolina.

Originally posted by Bags:

I've been in DC for 14 years -- no crime.  

Bags

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2004, 03:46:00 pm »
Like I said, Rhett, go back.  You can find another agency.  Or maybe just find an agent, and find gigs as "avatar of all that's good and right."

The n.y. break-ins were upper west side, around John McEnroe's place.  In DC, I go out almost entirely around U, 14th or east of Howard.  So shove it.

mankie

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2004, 03:47:00 pm »

I've been in DC for 14 years -- no crime.  Never lived in NYC and my car's been broken into twice there (no doubt the out of town plates are enticing).
17 years in DC and nothing....well there was one time two eejits tried to either mug me or just beat me up while I was using the phone right outside Nannies on CT Ave, I smacked one of them over the head with the phone and the other legged it so I don't even count that.

My wife had the headlights nicked from her VW while it was parked at Twinbrook metro, and I had the radio nicked out of my car in Gaithersburg, the piece of shit factory radio too! (They actually did me a favor because my insurance agent just wrote me a check and I bought a better one)

My experience tells me there's less petty crime in DC than the burbs.

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2004, 04:01:00 pm »
Like my wife said, "Wow, Mankie's a big guy. I wouldn't want to piss him off."

Someone would have to be pretty stupid to try to mug you, Mank. They're more likely to pick on guys like me or even smaller.

helicon1

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2004, 07:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by muke:
  where did you park?
I parked on U St which is highly trafficked. Normally I park on Georgia but from now on will park in the 9:30 lot...

helicon1

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2004, 07:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Originally posted by PseudoScouseTwat:

Originally posted by helicon1:
  and my car was broken into     :) ]

helicon1

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2004, 07:32:00 pm »

Originally posted by muke:
  where did you park?
And what show was it (ie, night of the week).

I've had really good luck, as I only drive to shows during the week, and they're usually the more sparsely attended shows.  But that gives me the heebie jeebies. [/b]
It was Vic Wooten on Wednesday night. It was full but not sold out.

Bags

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2004, 07:34:00 pm »
Man, on U street?!?  That's nuts, man.

YouSayThatImADreamer

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2004, 08:09:00 pm »

and my car was broken into    :(  
Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!! [/b]
Mine was towed

Samantha

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2004, 08:36:00 pm »
I smashed the front end of my cheapo hyundai accent on halloween.  but damn, I used to park that thing on the worse streets, and I rarely locked it, kept the windows down (it didn't have A/C).  never touched.  I never kept anything in it either, so maybe someone has poked around in it, didn't find anything, so just left.  after the halloween accident it wasn't worth repairing, so I got a new one...but I do miss being able to park on DC streets with my windows down and not worrying if someone just drove off with it...ha.  now my dad always gives me an extra $10 for parking whenever I go to DC, which is nice too  :D

Yank

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2004, 03:03:00 am »
Originally posted by mankie:

and my car was broken into     :(    
Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!! [/b]
If you ever visit Liverpool UK I'm sure you'll be able to buy back the stuff they nicked out of your car. [/b]
Except for the drugs...they'd be in the druggy capitol of the UK....manCHESTER!

Urbansprite

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2004, 08:56:00 am »
my car was once broken into parked next to the reservoir in front of million dollar homes (not mine).  there wasn't even anything in there for them to get.  twangirl is right - it happens in any city anywhere, unfortunately.  i've had more luck parked at the club than away from it, actually.

in my college town, we'd walk to the back door to take the trash out and find prospectors boldly staring through our windows to see if there were any good pickings.  they didnâ??t even both to stand to the side out of view.