Author Topic: Pitchfork writers needed  (Read 13455 times)

thirsty moore

Re: Pitchfork writers needed
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2004, 01:19:00 pm »
You bring up radio.  It's important to look at how radio exposure has changed over the decades.  I'm certainly no expert, but a station such as WHFS -- which apparently used to be fantastic -- has definitely taken a turn for the worse.

Originally posted by mankie:
 My point about todays music is that it just doesn't have the 'staying power' for want of a better term....in 10 years time, "Classic/Oldie" stations will be playing the exact same stuff they're playing now, because there's nothing classic about the stuff being turned out today.

mankie

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2004, 01:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by PseudoScouseTwat:

Originally posted by mankie:

Originally posted by PseudoScouseTwat:

Just to add my two cents, I think The Waterboys were/are a great band!  Even though I don't agree with Mankie that all music post 1989 is shit, he's spot on about The Waterboys.  I'll be playing "Fisherman's Blues" ten years from now while my Interpol and BRMC cd's are collecting dust in the rack. [/b]
I don't say all music post 89 is shit, well okay I do, but just to wind people up. My point about todays music is that it just doesn't have the 'staying power' for want of a better term....in 10 years time, "Classic/Oldie" stations will be playing the exact same stuff they're playing now, because there's nothing classic about the stuff being turned out today.

The only exeption that I can think of is Metallica. I don't care for them personally but I think people will still be playing their albums years from now. [/b]
Mankie, I know you're taking the piss most of the time.  I've lived here long enough to know that most Mancunians are piss merchants.  The problem that I have with that "classic" sound is that I'm not really into that kind of music anymore.  Most stuff I like isn't being played on the radio now and it most likely won't be in ten years from now either.  I don't care if thousands or millions of people like the songs or not....it's what I like.  Sometimes the songs do have mass appeal, but very rarely.  If you're listening to new music and it doesn't do anything for you, that's a fair comment.  Most people think that the music of their youth is the best and everything after is crap!  I know that I'm a little older than you, but I havn't reached that stage, and may never get there.  Like John Peel, I'm always searching for new music.  It's an addiction (and a very expensive one at that), but I truly do love it.  So leave me alone, dammit! [/b]
That's odd, the one and only time I'm not talking the piss, you bite!

Go have a pint lad.

Jaguär

« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2004, 12:29:00 am »
(How am I going to remember all of this?)

Rhett, I think you would like some of Phaser's songs; however, different songs than most of us like. On record, the Sway album actually has some Alt Country influences. They don't sound as Alt Country live but more Brit Rock. You really should give them a chance and decide for yourself.

As many times that I've seen them live, their last show opening for BSP was probably my least favorite. They were breaking in a new drummer and trying out some new songs. Also, they were just off that night and Shiayko was out of key. Without going into detail that I don't want to explore here, it just wasn't a good night for them.

Pollard, don't worry, I won't pounce on you for your Phaser comment. You're entitled to your opinion.

Speaking of, count me in with the "I Hate Dead Meadow Club". And I know lots of people in Manchester who saw them and absolutely hated them too. They opened for some band but can't remember who. Maybe Longview.

I love the Carlsonics but I think Rhett would hate them considering they are very 60s Garage oriented.

3wk.com Underground internet radio plays lots of local DC and Baltimore bands. Some examples are Q And Not U, Cex, Black Eyes, Phaser, The Apes, The Lilys, and Beauty Pill.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2004, 05:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  3wk.com Underground internet radio plays lots of local DC and Baltimore bands. Some examples are Q And Not U, Cex, Black Eyes, Phaser, The Apes, The Lilys, and Beauty Pill.
Thanks for the tip.