Author Topic: Pitchfork writers needed  (Read 14086 times)

redsock

Re: Pitchfork writers needed
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2004, 12:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by mark e smith:

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB] Based on your knowledge of my taste, which of these am I most likely to like?

Probably non of them. Actually, Metropolitan, Washington Social Club, Carlsonics, Phaser I would rate them in that order for you.

Metropolitan would probably pull off the best Arlo cover in my opinion. [/b]
You don't think Rhett would like Phaser? I forgot about The Apes...

markie

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2004, 12:05:00 pm »
Phaser are too farty for Rhett. Would Rhett like Spiritualized or the doves, probably not.

Even I cant stand the apes though.

ratioci nation

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2004, 12:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  You don't think Rhett would like Phaser? I forgot about The Apes...
I don't think he would like them at all.  

Actually I also found Phaser's album got boring fast and was not very impressed with their live show. *ducks as Jag pounces*

redsock

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2004, 12:13:00 pm »
  Phaser are too farty for Rhett. Would Rhett like Spiritualized or the doves, probably not.

Mmm...maybe there's some comparison to Lost Souls Doves, but not Last Broadcast. Phaser is just dreamy...their sound, not the guys in the band. I guess the sound could get boring.

The Apes are just different. Not sure if they're really any good, but still woth listening to. If that made any sense.

« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2004, 12:20:00 pm »
I dunno...I went to see the Waterboys about the time of "Room to Roam", and they played a pretty fucking big venue in NYC.

I would venture to say that for people over 32 or so who were into music, they were a well heard of band. For those younger folks only versed in the post-Nirvana landscape, they're probably unheard of or irrelevant.

Originally posted by Bags:

Originally posted by mankie:

Originally posted by poorlulu:
  ooh bags that's a bit harsh.........it's a cracking song.........
I wasn't being snarky...have the Waterboys had a hit?  
   I honestly don't remember them having a hit. [/b]
The whole of the moon. It was on the 1985 album, This is the sea. [/b]
This is the sea....wasn't a hit? [/b]
A hit....where?  I was a senior in high school, and I never heard it anywhere (except on my stereo) and no one I knew ever heard the song.  

Mank, I'm not trying to argue, but I'd bet that most people, even folks who listen to HFS or whatever (ie, not way into indie/alternative the way folks here are, but have varied musical tastes) don't know Waterboys.  Doesn't mean Wateboys aren't great or seminal.... [/b]

ggw

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2004, 12:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
 Actually I also found Phaser's album got boring fast and was not very impressed with their live show. *ducks as Jag pounces*
I thought they were good when they opened for Interpol.  But I didn't think they sounded very good when they opened for British Sea Power.  I think they tried to change their sound to get in on the big '70s arena-rock fad.

mankie

« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2004, 12:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB] I dunno...I went to see the Waterboys about the time of "Room to Roam", and they played a pretty fucking big venue in NYC.

I would venture to say that for people over 32 or so who were into music, they were a well heard of band. For those younger folks only versed in the post-Nirvana landscape, they're probably unheard of or irrelevant.

I was thinking it was an Atlantic Ocean thing, not just age, but if you saw them in a large venue in NYC....maybe it is just an age thing.

Yank

« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2004, 12:53:00 pm »

Originally posted by poorlulu:
  ooh bags that's a bit harsh.........it's a cracking song.........
I wasn't being snarky...have the Waterboys had a hit?  
   I honestly don't remember them having a hit. [/b]
The whole of the moon. It was on the 1985 album, This is the sea. [/b]
This is the sea....wasn't a hit? [/b]
A hit....where?  I was a senior in high school, and I never heard it anywhere (except on my stereo) and no one I knew ever heard the song.  

Mank, I'm not trying to argue, but I'd bet that most people, even folks who listen to HFS or whatever (ie, not way into indie/alternative the way folks here are, but have varied musical tastes) don't know Waterboys.  Doesn't mean Wateboys aren't great or seminal.... [/b]
Whole Of The Moon was pretty popular in the '80s on HFS and MTV but you never heard most of the other radio stations.  The song still gets radio airplay on the 'pop' stations here in the UK.  I still here it about once a every two weeks or so.  

Just to add my two cents, I think The Waterboys were/are a great band!  Even though I don't agree with Mankie that all music post 1989 is shit, he's spot on about The Waterboys.  I'll be playing "Fisherman's Blues" ten years from now while my Interpol and BRMC cd's are collecting dust in the rack.

thirsty moore

« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2004, 12:54:00 pm »
Mark, that's not saying much.  If I'm not mistaken, your tastes lean towards pop/punk.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2004, 12:58:00 pm »
i always thought of black eyes and q and not u as national acts. well, most discord bands really.
o/\o

redsock

« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2004, 12:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Mark, that's not saying much.  If I'm not mistaken, your tastes lean towards pop/punk.

[/b]
how would you even classify The Apes? Post-modern?

ggw

« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2004, 01:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:

[/b]
how would you even classify The Apes? Post-modern? [/b]
From Allmusic:

Rock  
 Styles:  Garage Punk, Experimental Rock, Post-Punk, Dub
 Tones:  Street-Smart, Brash, Confident, Amiable/Good-Natured, Tense/Anxious, Cathartic
 Labels:  French Kiss (2)

by Mike DaRonco

With a sound that resembles what would happen if Tony Iommi played organ rather than guitar in Black Sabbath, the Apes have been playing throughout their native of Washington, D.C., since their formation in 1999. Consisting of Erick Jackson (bass/moog), Amanda Kleinman (organ), Jeff Schmid (bass), and Paul Weil (vocals), Frenchkiss Records would eventually release their debut full-length, The Fugue in the Fog, in 2001. The Self-Starter Foundation put out the vinyl version.

markie

« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2004, 01:05:00 pm »

[/b]
I was judging my tastes, compared to Rhetts. I think there is more chance I would like the Apes than Rhett, and I dont like the apes.

I think spastic, is the best way to categorise them, Redsock.

mankie

« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2004, 01:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by PseudoScouseTwat:

Just to add my two cents, I think The Waterboys were/are a great band!  Even though I don't agree with Mankie that all music post 1989 is shit, he's spot on about The Waterboys.  I'll be playing "Fisherman's Blues" ten years from now while my Interpol and BRMC cd's are collecting dust in the rack. [/b]
I don't say all music post 89 is shit, well okay I do, but just to wind people up. My point about todays music is that it just doesn't have the 'staying power' for want of a better term....in 10 years time, "Classic/Oldie" stations will be playing the exact same stuff they're playing now, because there's nothing classic about the stuff being turned out today.

The only exeption that I can think of is Metallica. I don't care for them personally but I think people will still be playing their albums years from now.

Yank

« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2004, 01:18:00 pm »

Originally posted by PseudoScouseTwat:

Just to add my two cents, I think The Waterboys were/are a great band!  Even though I don't agree with Mankie that all music post 1989 is shit, he's spot on about The Waterboys.  I'll be playing "Fisherman's Blues" ten years from now while my Interpol and BRMC cd's are collecting dust in the rack. [/b]
I don't say all music post 89 is shit, well okay I do, but just to wind people up. My point about todays music is that it just doesn't have the 'staying power' for want of a better term....in 10 years time, "Classic/Oldie" stations will be playing the exact same stuff they're playing now, because there's nothing classic about the stuff being turned out today.

The only exeption that I can think of is Metallica. I don't care for them personally but I think people will still be playing their albums years from now. [/b]
Mankie, I know you're taking the piss most of the time.  I've lived here long enough to know that most Mancunians are piss merchants.  The problem that I have with that "classic" sound is that I'm not really into that kind of music anymore.  Most stuff I like isn't being played on the radio now and it most likely won't be in ten years from now either.  I don't care if thousands or millions of people like the songs or not....it's what I like.  Sometimes the songs do have mass appeal, but very rarely.  If you're listening to new music and it doesn't do anything for you, that's a fair comment.  Most people think that the music of their youth is the best and everything after is crap!  I know that I'm a little older than you, but I havn't reached that stage, and may never get there.  Like John Peel, I'm always searching for new music.  It's an addiction (and a very expensive one at that), but I truly do love it.  So leave me alone, dammit!