Author Topic: Animal Collective / Geologist on Life in Capitol Hill  (Read 7186 times)

Yada

Re: Animal Collective / Geologist on Life in Capitol Hill
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:27:08 pm »
Interesting... I didn't know he was part owner of Toki.

That place is fucking delicious.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 04:34:35 pm »
the school they all met at in baltimore costs around $20k/year to attend...including kindergarden.  I can't imagine what 20k/year kindergarden must be like.

Yada

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 04:37:12 pm »
the school they all met at in baltimore costs around $20k/year to attend...including kindergarden.  I can't imagine what 20k/year kindergarden must be like.

It gives you the opportunity to live the life of a trustafarian indie rock star.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 09:52:01 am »

no frills federal daycare in DC is $18k+/yr
(o|o)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 11:00:12 am »
how much do y'all think daycare costs?  free?

$20k is on the high end, but it's not unheard of. 
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 11:12:30 am »
We had a nannny for 2+ years and her regular pay, plus one or two evening babysitting gigs, was usually between $2,500 and $3k a month. I was so happy when the kids hit school age.
oword

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 11:18:59 am »
We had a nannny for 2+ years and her regular pay, plus one or two evening babysitting gigs, was usually between $2,500 and $3k a month. I was so happy when the kids hit school age.

which is still cheaper than two kids in daycare - we're making that calculation right now :(
(o|o)

nkotb

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 11:54:47 am »
No shit...four years ago if you had told me I would be looking into hiring a nanny like some yuppie douchebag, I would've laughed.  First at the thought of being a yuppie douchebag and second at the thought that I'd have enough money to hire a nanny.

Turns out, I am a yuppie douchebag, and nanny's are the same goddamn cost as full-time day cares, especially for two.  Brutal.

which is still cheaper than two kids in daycare - we're making that calculation right now :(

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 12:03:11 pm »
Fuck.  Out of curiosity I just checked the current rates of the place my kids went to daycare.  Infants are $1600 a month and pre-schoolers are $1300.  I think when mine were there it was about $900 each.

We rent our basement to a student for about 1/2 of market value.  In exchange she does about 8 hours of child care a week for us, is there when the school bus comes etc.  THIS IS LIVING.  She also takes care of the pets when we are out of town, and will stay home with them when we go out of town for weekends and stuff.  We throw her some extra cash when she goes much above the normal.  Plus she gets tons of free meals and incidentals out of us.  I hope she stays until they graduate.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:07:45 pm by chaz »

wml7

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 12:06:19 pm »
No shit...four years ago if you had told me I would be looking into hiring a nanny like some yuppie douchebag, I would've laughed.  First at the thought of being a yuppie douchebag and second at the thought that I'd have enough money to hire a nanny.

Turns out, I am a yuppie douchebag, and nanny's are the same goddamn cost as full-time day cares, especially for two.  Brutal.

you rich bastard
 ;D

Relaxer

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 12:07:26 pm »
And nannies come to your house so the kid(s) gets to sleep in his own bed, be around his own stuff, etc. And ours also did a fair amount of cleaning and would also cook meals for our kid, though not for us, disappointingly.

On one hand, we were lucky that our two kids were spaced far apart (3 1/2 years) that Rosa Maria never had to double up and could give each kid her devoted love and attention. We were, however, unlucky in that it stretched out the nannydom for about an extra year. When I think about it, I'm realizing we actually had her for just over 4 years.

But like I said before, very glad to have that chapter closed though we really do miss Rosa Maria.
oword

nkotb

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 12:14:31 pm »
You didn't mention squeezers?

And nannies come to your house so the kid(s) gets to sleep in his own bed, be around his own stuff, etc. And ours also did a fair amount of cleaning and would also cook meals for our kid, though not for us, disappointingly.

Relaxer

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 12:24:13 pm »
I don't know what "squeezers" are but my dong is out and I'm eagerly awaiting your reply.
oword

hutch

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 12:28:52 pm »
cost of living get so high.. na na na na..oh what a tribulation