Author Topic: The new Howard Theatre  (Read 4910 times)

Bags

The new Howard Theatre
« on: October 22, 2012, 11:34:25 am »
So I haven't been to this renovated venue yet.  Tonight is Psych Furs with the Lemonheads (Juliana Hatfield bailed).

I've heard that the venue has tables and chairs, like a supper club -- is this true for 'rock' shows as well?  Has anyone been there, have advice on navigating?  Show starts at 8:00; if I'm fighting for a table, I'd think I'd have to get there earlier than I normally would.

THANKS fellow music fans.

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
Re: The new Howard Theatre
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 12:37:21 pm »
We've discussed this a bit before, here, but here's a quick summary.

Sometimes they have tables/chairs set up, and sometimes they don't.  When it's a seated show, there will be a $10 minimum per person charge to sit at the table.  I found the food to be pricey and not terribly vegetarian/vegan-friendly (it's soul food, after all), but I was able to manage by getting a salad and having them not put in the hardboiled egg.

It's not always obvious from their web site which seating/standing configuration they'll have-- sometimes the event page says "standing room only", but the Lemonheads show doesn't have that text.  Bottom line: go early for the best seats, and be prepared to spend $$ on food/beverage on top of the ticket price.

Bags

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 02:08:22 pm »
THANKS!  I went back to look for a thread but didn't look back far enough.  AND, I keep forgetting we can search now!

Apparently there will be very few tables tonight, which is good.  I'm way not planning to eat there, though $10 in drinks is easy to accomplish.

lagas

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 08:50:35 pm »
their staff sucks
zorra

lily1

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 09:17:15 am »
i haven't had issues with the staff consistently. it's hit or miss. when i went there for the first time in june, the service was so bad we had to speak to the manager on 3 occasions. the couple of times i've been there since, including just a couple weeks ago, the staff were great and the service was spot on.

its a beautiful spot and super public transportion accessible. i'm just concerned about its ability to make enough money to stay open. none of the times i've been there have the shows been anywhere near sold out.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 11:55:49 am »
their staff sucks
Really? Been there twice, once for a seated show, another for GA, and neither time did I have a problem with the staff. Even with a busy bar I didn't have to wait very long to get a drink.
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 01:41:10 pm »
one time i went was a very underattended show....the three staff members i dealt with were great.. well two were great and one didn't make an impression..

i will say though that when i called they had no clue as to whether there was an opener or when the act would go on.

Bags

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 04:33:12 pm »
Very low turnout last night for Lemonheads and Psych Furs.  You think that's why Evan Dando looked like he was going to fall asleep at the mic?

No service problems for me, though as I say, it was maybe 1/6 full so there was lots of staff to serve customers.

Beautiful place.  Hope it 'sticks.'

hutch

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 05:26:11 pm »
Very low turnout last night for Lemonheads and Psych Furs.  You think that's why Evan Dando looked like he was going to fall asleep at the mic?

No service problems for me, though as I say, it was maybe 1/6 full so there was lots of staff to serve customers.

Beautiful place.  Hope it 'sticks.'

They are being idots.. they should price shows lower to fill the place up more

This bill never made any sense.. the Furs have played the market so much .. I think last year they played the Fillmore and this year the State Theatre

The Lemonheads couldn't sell out Iota at this point! They added nothing.. Not to mention they've played DC so much.. only recently at the Black Cat.

It is as if the people booking the NY shows just add the DC show without thinking about the market

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 09:34:39 am »
I saw the GZA perform "Liquid Swords" there last Tuesday and I'd say it was about 60% full. I thought it was a steal to see that for only $20.
‼‼?‼‼

Yada

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 10:08:43 am »
  You think that's why Evan Dando looked like he was going to fall asleep at the mic?

That was the heroin.

hutch

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 10:18:31 am »
  You think that's why Evan Dando looked like he was going to fall asleep at the mic?

That was the heroin.

If he's doing heroin that is a shame.

Driveway

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 12:14:53 pm »
I thought about going to this, but I opted for the AWESOME Sea Wolf at DC9 instead.  How were the Lemonheads?  I use to always go see them, but I've grown tired of them always playing the same old, old, songs.  They also seem to get sloppier every time I see them.  The 'Shame About Ray' show at the Black Cat was kind of terrible.  I wish they'd play some songs written after 1996... Is that asking a lot?

hutch

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 12:55:18 pm »
I thought about going to this, but I opted for the AWESOME Sea Wolf at DC9 instead.  How were the Lemonheads?  I use to always go see them, but I've grown tired of them always playing the same old, old, songs.  They also seem to get sloppier every time I see them.  The 'Shame About Ray' show at the Black Cat was kind of terrible.  I wish they'd play some songs written after 1996... Is that asking a lot?

They have albums after Car Button Cloth or whatever ?

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 02:09:57 pm »
The 'Shame About Ray' show at the Black Cat was kind of terrible.

I think this was the one I walked out of 3 songs into the set.  It was all kinds of awful.