Author Topic: Hard Rains a-Coming  (Read 10533 times)

K8teebug

Re: Hard Rains a-Coming
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 05:11:05 pm »
I am just glad I'm not getting married this time.  Got married 2 days after Isabel on the water in Havre de Grace.  No power, lots of generators, ran out of ice, but most importantly, not booze.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 08:09:16 pm »
Heading back home from Miami

Talking to them about a hurricane coming is like talking about snow in Utah

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 10:08:42 pm »
Weather for San Francisco, CA
   64°F | °C   Fri   Sat   Sun   Mon

Hum: 46%   68°   72°   73°   70°   

Oh, it was 70° here today and absolutely beautiful, especially considering that it's the end of October. The past week has been wonderful and even went up to 75° a few days ago.

I was going to go swimming the other day but opted instead to go to the Farmers Market in Berlin since after this month it will be over until next spring. Spent the day there and had a great time.

In the meantime, everything has still been great but leave it to stupid Comcrap to act like the storm has hit already. The Weather Channel, the local Government Access Channel and the Resort Channel have dropped out their video. Even the audio dropped out for a short time about 10 minutes ago. Just what we need! Thank God I have the internet.

Tomorrow will not be fun at work with all of the very concerned people calling and asking us questions that we don't have answers to. It's just those who expect us to have an in with the weather gods as though all has already been written in stone who make it so difficult. It will be busy!

From what I'm hearing (again, no visuals), it's been downgraded but can easily pick up strength as it moves along. Of course, even if the hurricane portion of it dies down by it comes this way, it doesn't mean all will be clear.

Hey Walkie, you might get snow!  :o

Jaguar

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 10:27:03 pm »
Heading back home from Miami

Talking to them about a hurricane coming is like talking about snow in Utah

Cavalier attitudes like that can be deadly!

Hope you make it back safely.

James Ford

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 08:12:41 pm »
I was out walking my dog and got hit by water from someone's lawn sprinkler. On October 27. A day before the hurricane. They had TWO lawn sprinklers going. Welcome to the burbs.

For the record, they had an Obama sign on that lawn.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 12:41:20 am »
today, i saw a father beating his kid because she didn't rake the leaves to his satisfaction.

for the record, there was a "vote for romney" sign on the lawn.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 12:54:31 am »
I am just glad I'm not getting married this time. 

If I had a dollar for every time I've said that...
27>34

ggw

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 09:13:52 am »
I'm calling bust on this. Everyone is too well prepared.

shemptiness

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 11:03:23 am »
Yeah, well good luck with that. 

Jaguar

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 03:08:50 pm »
Comcrap came back on later that night. I never, ever watch tv but when I want, or even need to, it doesn't want to cooperate.

Still in town and plan to ride out the storm, barring a complete evacuation or other. I got the skinny on the partial evac. about 24 hours before it was released to the public so had a bit more time to think this out. Ultimately, I've decided that all that driving to and from would be more dangerous than staying. My building is pretty strong and the location is a little better than some. They did evacuate downtown and aren't allowing people to go through there short of necessity. Brought all of the patio furniture and plants inside.

Currently, the wind is blowing and there's a little rain. Not much to speak of as of yet. More wind than rain so far. The bay has risen just below the pier but seems to have gone down some in the past couple hours, probably due to tide levels. That's what I'm really keeping an eye on.

Here's a great page to play around with for various weather maps:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east

hutch

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 03:50:10 pm »
good luck everyone!

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2012, 05:04:05 pm »
today, i saw a father beating his kid because she didn't rake the leaves to his satisfaction.

What did you do?

Jaguar

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2012, 05:41:26 pm »
From the front lines:
(Bold is mine.)

"Ocean City Emergency Services is continuing to monitor the projected path of Hurricane Sandy. At this time the path remains consistent with initial forecasts, estimating sustained winds at 40-45 mph and gusts between 55-60 mph. Approximately 10 inches of rain is expected, which will result in severe flooding when combined with the storm and tidal surges.

At approximately 9 a.m. today, October 28, the Town of Ocean City implemented Phase II of the Emergency Evacuation Plan. Due to the severe flooding which is expected during the storm, a mandatory evacuation of all residents in the downtown area (south of 17th Street) was issued and was effective immediately. All residents in these areas must evacuate before 8 p.m. today. All non-resident property owners, vacationers and visitors must also evacuate by the 8 p.m. deadline. In addition, a voluntary evacuation order is in place for residents and occupants of known low lying areas.

Ocean City Mayor Rick Meehan declared a local State of Emergency, issuing an order to close the beach to all persons until further notices. In addition, the inlet lot will be closed beginning at 5 p.m. and will not reopen for the duration of the storm, which is expected to last two to three days.

The Ocean City Police Department, with the assistance of the Maryland State Police, has conducted and finished a door-to-door notification of the mandatory evacuation zone. A hard road closure will be set at 17th Street and Coastal Highway beginning at 5 p.m. today. In addition, Route 50 will be closed at Inlet Isle Lane for entry into Ocean City. Route 90 will remains open both ways at this time.

During the storm, the Town of Ocean City will be posting storm related information on various websites, social media outlets, through the GovDelivery system and the television access channel. Citizens are asked to tune into Ocean City?s Government Access Channel (4 & 15) for further detailed information or advisories.  To subscribe to GovDelivery, visit the ?City Wide Alerts? tab on the Town of Ocean City?s website at http://oceancitymd.gov."

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2012, 06:27:03 pm »

What did you do?

waited for them to go inside and then stole the Romney sign.  Duh.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2012, 06:27:49 pm »
in honor of the missus who will be running the marine corps marathon on sunday:

Long Hard Slog by Ivan Bodley (http://sharemyplaylists.com/artists/Ivan+Bodley/track/Long+Hard+Slog/lyrics)

dedication not needed, rain held off for the duration of the race.  what a great day for a run!  missus is in several different states of pain at the moment.  off to fetch her a beer.
<sig>