Author Topic: 2012 best shows  (Read 19147 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: 2012 best shows
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2012, 12:31:59 pm »
The list of artists I enjoy who still (or have) put out great music past age 40 is so long I won't even try listing it. 

hutch

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2012, 12:32:31 pm »
I'm going to go through my records at some point and work on it here

El Vez at U Hall
Ash at DC Nine
Bob Dylan at Wicomico Convention Center
Babasonicos at Howard Theatre (maybe #1)
J Geils Band at Fillmore
PIL at 930
JSBX at U Hall

Now I know why Hutch doesn't like DAR.  He only sees bands 30 years past their prime and then blames the bad show on the venue.

I just don't agree that bands are past their prime because people age.. I don't believe you have to be young to play music although you probably have to be young to play music for the young (and those still trying to be).. allowing for the effects of time the great performers only get better as they learn to get every nuance out of their talent.. I'm sure most performers would tell you that at 20 they didn't know jack shit about performing and where basically going on energy... as they get older they learn to perform.

But for the record Babasonicos, JSBX and Ash are in their "prime"...

I saw Pinetop Perkins when he was over 90... a great show...  Tony Bennett in his 80s still provided a great show at Wolftrap...

must be sad to be 47 though man... way past your "prime"...

as far as venues not sure what you're talking about... DAR is not a music venue... but I've seen good shows there...just don't believe in supporting venues that are deficient unless I feel I have to.. same goes for Rock and Roll Hotel, Patriot Center, Verizon Center etc... there are enough great venues in town to focus on.

having said all that, it is true that I'm finding it harder to get into the music of newer bands... I don't identify with it...and often when I try, say a Kurt Vile (that reminds me: worst show of the year?), I find it horrifying.. talk about boring and low energy no matter what his age is.... I can't believe people compare this guy to Bruce .. Bruce has more talent in half his smallest toe nail than Vile.

I'm always on the lookout for bands that play what I call Chuck Berry rock and roll (Berry, early Beatles, early Stones, Flamin Groovies, AC DC, Faces, etc.).. any suggestions most welcome !seriously.

Most musicians creative output is done by the time they hit 40.  You might find an occasional Johnny Cash or U2.  I wish more people could keep putting out great stuff as they get older.  But it just doesn't happen.  When was the last time Paul McCarntney had a great pop song?

I saw Pete Seeger peform at 92 and it was awesome.  Patti Smith wasn't bad last week but the songs she did that were good were from the 70's.  If she only did songs from the 70's the show would have been much better.  Plus when you are seeing bands you are most likely only seeing part of the bands. Like Jesus and Mary Chain when I saw them the first time they were amazing but Douglas Hart and Bobbie Gillepsie are long gone from that band.

Anyway I find it sad that you have given up on new music at your age.  If you like PIL you must have had a zest for new music once.  I suggest of Monsters and Men to you.  Every song on their album is great. 

Well, I think we look at differently... just because an artist isn't necessarily "writing" their best material doesn't mean they can't perform their albeit older material in really great ways... there is a difference between writing and performing...

Definitely have not "given up" on anything... although I don't think "new music" is better than "old music"..its all MUSIC.. I don't care that much when it was made.. I listen to stuff going from the 1920s on... I have 10,000 records in my basement and most of it is "old"..so what?

Also the new JSXB album is great... just because the hipsters moved on doesn't make it not so... and Bob Dylan's Tempest is fabulous.... the fact he is old is irrelevant....its great music.. same for Dr John's Locked Down

I dont' try to live my musical listening life like Pitchfork.. hypes up the one album then the follow up isn't as good and then they are over the hill at 23.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 12:36:41 pm »
Nicolas Jaar @ FYF, Los Angeles
Bjork @ Roseland Ballroom
Antony & the Johnsons @ Radio City
PULP @ Radio City
Afghan Whigs @ 930
Omar Souleyman @930 & Mezzanine SF
Chromatics @ RNR/FYF
Tim Hecker @ Public Assembly
Bill Orcutt/Chris Corsano @ Wind Up Space
Dirty Three @ Sixth and I
ASH @ DC9
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion @ U Hall
Papa M @ Golden West Cafe
Ssion @ Ottobar
Trust @ 930
Fiona Apple @ Sixth and I
Shabazz Palaces @ Sonar
Cass Mccombs @ Ottobar
Refused @ Fillmore
(_|_)

atomicfront

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 12:50:01 pm »
Cass Mccombs @ Ottobar

I really hated this show.  First off he was performing in the dark.  Second I like that one album  (Wit's end)  but it seemed he was just playing straight ahead rock n roll that I find so boring.  I left after 5 songs.   I did enjoy both of the openers so it wasn't a total waste.  Frank Fairfield + Walker and Jay I believe.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2012, 12:59:15 pm »
Will it be more appealing to you if Cass has a song called "I"ll wait for you" and he sings that chorus 40 times in 4 minutes?

Cass Mccombs @ Ottobar

I really hated this show.  First off he was performing in the dark.  Second I like that one album  (Wit's end)  but it seemed he was just playing straight ahead rock n roll that I find so boring.  I left after 5 songs.   I did enjoy both of the openers so it wasn't a total waste.  Frank Fairfield + Walker and Jay I believe.
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2012, 01:17:20 pm »
The audience rarely, if ever, factors into my enjoyment of a show or lack there of. Big beefy "security" goons nearly knocking me over running around playing detective with flashlights in a crowd of the least druggy people ever (a fucking clean show!) all night can, though. That on top of all the other usual Hotel complaints.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:21:18 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2012, 01:22:44 pm »
Will it be more appealing to you if Cass has a song called "I"ll wait for you" and he sings that chorus 40 times in 4 minutes?

Cass Mccombs @ Ottobar

If he played a banjo while singing it.  But really what was the deal with playing in the dark?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2012, 01:26:05 pm »
Dismissing Paul McCartney's output means that one hasn't listen to the Fireman record he released for one thing...
T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2012, 02:55:41 pm »
Real Estate @ Black Cat
Matthew E. White @ R+R Hotel
Sean Hayes @ Iota
Bahamas @ Iota
War on Drugs @ 930
Roger Waters @ Verizon
Phish @ AC
Dr. Dog/Avett Bros/Wilco @ Camden

James Ford

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2012, 04:00:13 pm »
Exactly. And this has been a banner year for 40+ artists. Off of the top of my head, I can think of at least eight who will make my top 20 of the year list...

Neil Young
Leonard Cohen
Jimmy Cliff
Bob Mould
Rhett Miller
Wanda Jackson
Dwight Yoakam
Bryan Ferry Orchestra (does that one count?)

The list of artists I enjoy who still (or have) put out great music past age 40 is so long I won't even try listing it. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2012, 04:14:29 pm »
1 show

1 show mattered

mattered so much the other shows can go away from my memory.  like a seizure expulsion.

dead milkmen @  u street

fuck yeah

atomicfront

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2012, 05:52:48 pm »
Exactly. And this has been a banner year for 40+ artists. Off of the top of my head, I can think of at least eight who will make my top 20 of the year list...

Neil Young
Leonard Cohen
Jimmy Cliff
Bob Mould
Rhett Miller
Wanda Jackson
Dwight Yoakam

Wanda Jackson has another album out this year? I will have to check it out. 

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2012, 06:37:19 pm »

Neil Young
Leonard Cohen
Jimmy Cliff
Bob Mould
Rhett Miller
Wanda Jackson
Dwight Yoakam

We finally agree on something.  It's a non denominational holiday miracle.  ;D

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2012, 07:15:55 pm »
Pretty fertile year for me.  5 shows in April alone was a lot for this old man.

Best of the Best

The Hold Steady @Ottobar
Bob Mould: Copper Blue, etc. @930
Glen Hansard @930
Ted Leo "Tyranny 10" show @BlackCat
Allo Darlin'/Wave Pictures @BlackCat Backstage

Also Great

Ted Leo solo @St. Stephen's
Don Dixon/Marti Jones @Strathmore Mansion
Fountains of Wayne @930
*Ryan Adams @Strathmore (forgot about this one entirely, thanks Bagley)

Honorable Mentions

Clutch @Paramount NY
Springsteen @Nat's Park
Springsteen @Verizon
Wilco @WolfTrap
Black Keys @Merriweather
Ben Gibbard @6th&I
Of Monster's & Men @Fillmore

Less than favorite

DeathCab @Strathmore #fellasleep
VirginiFest generally

Looking forward to DBT/Deer Tick (have never seen either band)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:28:14 pm by challenged »

andyrichter

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2012, 01:43:19 am »
just got back from yeah yeah yeahs @ union pool in NYC.  amazing.  instantly leap frogs to best show of the year.   8)