Author Topic: 2012 best shows  (Read 19183 times)

hutch

Re: 2012 best shows
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 04:13:14 pm »
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion at U Street Hall

andyrichter

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 05:43:43 pm »
top 10 in no particular order:
Bob Mould @ Williamsburg Park
The Walkmen/ Dum Dum Girls @ Terminal 5
No Joy @ Bowery Ballroom
Veronica Falls @ South Street seaport
Garbage @ Webster Hall
True Widow @ Union Pool
Frankie Rose/Diiv @ Mercury Lounge
Wild Flag @ Webster Hall
Sick of it all @ Irving Plaza
Bleached @ Knitting Factory

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 06:03:24 pm »
I'm like hutch, can't remember what all i went to but these stand out

The Bigger Lovers / Cliff Hillis - Johnny Brenda's
Ash - DC9
JC Brooks and Uptown Sound - Tropicalia

biggest disappointment - Saint Etienne
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 06:15:24 pm »
I'm going to go through my records at some point and work on it here

El Vez at U Hall
Ash at DC Nine
Bob Dylan at Wicomico Convention Center
Babasonicos at Howard Theatre (maybe #1)
J Geils Band at Fillmore
PIL at 930
JSBX at U Hall
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:58:28 pm by hutch »

dyecraig

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 07:08:05 pm »
neil young w/crazy horse - gmu & outside lands (sf)
peter gabriel - gmu
rollins - 9:30
sun kil moon - howard
rodriguez - 6th & I
dirty three - 6th & I
foo fighters - outside lands
house band @ the tonga room (fairmont hotel - sf) - jack white was at the next table, but that's another story
radiohead - verizon
andrew bird - wyep studios pittsburgH

azaghal1981

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 07:08:58 pm »
Oh man Frankie Rose. She would definitely be in the second half of my top 5. Actually that whole first Chickfactor night would. Believe it or not, I found the first night (with Stevie Jackson and Frankie Rose) better on the whole than the Black Tambourine night (they and Lorelei were both great, not too much else stood out). Hard for me to remember all I saw too.
The Feelies would be in there.

احمد

Relaxer

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 09:29:52 pm »
The worst set I saw was easily Elite Gymnastics, opener for Grimes
I like EG's eps a lot and was really looking forward to this but it was the biggest joke, definitely in my top 5 worst sets ever
oword

hutch

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 10:18:00 pm »

house band @ the tonga room (fairmont hotel - sf) - jack white was at the next table, but that's another story

oh, do tell....

azaghal1981

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2012, 12:44:45 am »
The Clean and Times New Viking would be in my top ten, too. Probably top three if the venue didn't partially fuck up the vibe.

Show automatically loses points for being at the Blowtel through no fault of any of the performers.
احمد

James Ford

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2012, 09:15:33 am »
So when a show "lacks energy" and people blame the audience (instead of the band), is it really the fault of the venue?

The Clean and Times New Viking would be in my top ten, too. Probably top three if the venue didn't partially fuck up the vibe.

Show automatically loses points for being at the Blowtel through no fault of any of the performers.

atomicfront

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2012, 11:11:22 am »

El Vez at U Hall
Ash at DC Nine
J Geils Band at Fillmore
PIL at 930
JSBX at U Hall

Now I know why Hutch doesn't like DAR.  He only sees bands 30 years past their prime and then blames the bad show on the venue.

eros

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2012, 11:20:29 am »
Pulp at Radio City

(with honorable mentions to Ash and Mayer Hawthorne)

ʎɐʍou

hutch

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2012, 11:29:36 am »

El Vez at U Hall
Ash at DC Nine
J Geils Band at Fillmore
PIL at 930
JSBX at U Hall

Now I know why Hutch doesn't like DAR.  He only sees bands 30 years past their prime and then blames the bad show on the venue.

I just don't agree that bands are past their prime because people age.. I don't believe you have to be young to play music although you probably have to be young to play music for the young (and those still trying to be).. allowing for the effects of time the great performers only get better as they learn to get every nuance out of their talent.. I'm sure most performers would tell you that at 20 they didn't know jack shit about performing and where basically going on energy... as they get older they learn to perform.

But for the record Babasonicos, JSBX and Ash are in their "prime"...

I saw Pinetop Perkins when he was over 90... a great show...  Tony Bennett in his 80s still provided a great show at Wolftrap...

must be sad to be 47 though man... way past your "prime"...

as far as venues not sure what you're talking about... DAR is not a music venue... but I've seen good shows there...just don't believe in supporting venues that are deficient unless I feel I have to.. same goes for Rock and Roll Hotel, Patriot Center, Verizon Center etc... there are enough great venues in town to focus on.

having said all that, it is true that I'm finding it harder to get into the music of newer bands... I don't identify with it...and often when I try, say a Kurt Vile (that reminds me: worst show of the year?), I find it horrifying.. talk about boring and low energy no matter what his age is.... I can't believe people compare this guy to Bruce .. Bruce has more talent in half his smallest toe nail than Vile.

I'm always on the lookout for bands that play what I call Chuck Berry rock and roll (Berry, early Beatles, early Stones, Flamin Groovies, AC DC, Faces, etc.).. any suggestions most welcome !seriously.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:31:23 am by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2012, 11:45:19 am »
Amadou and Mariam at 930 was also really good

maybe worst show other than Kurt Vile of course, Daryl Hall at the Warner.....ugh...

atomicfront

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2012, 12:21:24 pm »

El Vez at U Hall
Ash at DC Nine
J Geils Band at Fillmore
PIL at 930
JSBX at U Hall

I just don't agree that bands are past their prime because people age.. I don't believe you have to be young to play music although you probably have to be young to play music for the young (and those still trying to be).. allowing for the effects of time the great performers only get better as they learn to get every nuance out of their talent.. I'm sure most performers would tell you that at 20 they didn't know jack shit about performing and where basically going on energy... as they get older they learn to perform.

But for the record Babasonicos, JSBX and Ash are in their "prime"...

I saw Pinetop Perkins when he was over 90... a great show...  Tony Bennett in his 80s still provided a great show at Wolftrap...

must be sad to be 47 though man... way past your "prime"...

as far as venues not sure what you're talking about... DAR is not a music venue... but I've seen good shows there...just don't believe in supporting venues that are deficient unless I feel I have to.. same goes for Rock and Roll Hotel, Patriot Center, Verizon Center etc... there are enough great venues in town to focus on.

having said all that, it is true that I'm finding it harder to get into the music of newer bands... I don't identify with it...and often when I try, say a Kurt Vile (that reminds me: worst show of the year?), I find it horrifying.. talk about boring and low energy no matter what his age is.... I can't believe people compare this guy to Bruce .. Bruce has more talent in half his smallest toe nail than Vile.

I'm always on the lookout for bands that play what I call Chuck Berry rock and roll (Berry, early Beatles, early Stones, Flamin Groovies, AC DC, Faces, etc.).. any suggestions most welcome !seriously.

Most musicians creative output is done by the time they hit 40.  You might find an occasional Johnny Cash or U2.  I wish more people could keep putting out great stuff as they get older.  But it just doesn't happen.  When was the last time Paul McCarntney had a great pop song?

I saw Pete Seeger peform at 92 and it was awesome.  Patti Smith wasn't bad last week but the songs she did that were good were from the 70's.  If she only did songs from the 70's the show would have been much better.  Plus when you are seeing bands you are most likely only seeing part of the bands. Like Jesus and Mary Chain when I saw them the first time they were amazing but Douglas Hart and Bobbie Gillepsie are long gone from that band.

Anyway I find it sad that you have given up on new music at your age.  If you like PIL you must have had a zest for new music once.  I suggest of Monsters and Men to you.  Every song on their album is great.