Author Topic: Mates Of State Roll Call  (Read 2072 times)

wml7

Mates Of State Roll Call
« on: November 21, 2008, 01:40:00 pm »
Who's in for Sunday at Ottobar??  So, I've never been to the Ottobar how is it, parking, and all that?

killsaly

Re: Mates Of State Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »
Parking is usually ok.  There is a lot right behind the building, and plenty of street parking.  Ill be there.  I missed the Black Cat show, but the Ottobar might be an even better venue for their songs.  As for the venue itself, its pretty cool.  really small, not a bad seat in the house, decent sound, and inexpensive drinks.

wml7

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 02:02:00 pm »
Awesome to hear this will be my 4th time seeing them.

killsaly

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 02:15:00 pm »
This would have been my third if i would have went to the Black Cat.  I didnt get into them until this year, and so far have only seen them at Lollapalooza, which was excellent.

wml7

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »
Exactly that's where I saw them too, also at All Points West, and Charlottesville.  They sound great in a club setting.  Should be a great show!

wml7

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 03:03:00 pm »
Great show as usual.  Got pretty much all the songs on video.

killsaly

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 03:59:00 pm »
I thought it was awesome as well.  It took a minute for me to get into the opener, but they rocked it as well.  I loved the set list MOS played.  Very nice.  I liked them  more as a duo/trio with the guitar, instead of the Lollapalooza duo/quartet with the strings.  Good thing they are taking a touring break, because they need to get working on their next record.  Was their stuff on sale, due to it being the last night?  I bought a great poster for 5 bucks, and it was of the same calibre that people usually charge 20 + for.

wml7

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRhMyJF_rOI

One of the many vids I have from the show.  Got all the songs.  Great performers.  Avacado Happy Hour was alright and Brother Reed was good too.

wml7

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »
Oh yeah it's a nice little venue too.  I'll try to hit up Boris and Ra Ra Riot there for sure.

killsaly

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »
I have been there many times, but never watched a set from the upstairs.  Interesting angle, you can really see whats going on.  I was on the floor, dead center a couple back.  I really dig the venue as well.  It is a great size to see bands and really get up close, and it is usually not too crowded.  I was thinking about doing the Boris show as well.