Author Topic: Movie Recs?  (Read 35330 times)

Cali

Re: Movie Recs?
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »
decided to see let the right one in last night and that mess is kinda creepy and funny. good story now i want to read the book

slumdog is next on my list

Darth Ed

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Greer Zoller:
 So, Rachel Getting Married is pretty good, eh?
Yeah, I really loved it. Excellent performances. Well written. Nice doc-style cinematography. Plus it has the lead singer from TV on the Radio (he's the groom, it's a small role and he's not bad in it) and a cameo by Robyn Hitchcock (as himself, singing a song at the wedding).

Darth Ed

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by pdx pollard:

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  welcome to the dollhouse and george washington were two of the most depressing movies i've ever watched. . .

really has nothing to do with what you are saying, but the next movie by both these directors are in my top 10 favorite movies (Happiness and All the Real Girls) [/b]
I'm a big fan of David Gordon Green's. I prefer George Washington to All the Real Girls, but they're both excellent. FWIW, I don't find George Washington to be depressing really. More thoughtful than depressing. And much of it is actually funny. I also really like his third film, Undertow, which is similar tonally to George Washington. Snow Angels was a big disappointment. It was OK, but not as good as his previous films.

Relaxer

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 02:03:00 pm »
Happiness. Man, that movie just hurts so good.
oword

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »
RocknRolla was great, plenty of laugh out loud moments
(o|o)

ratioci nation

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:
  I'm a big fan of David Gordon Green's. I prefer George Washington to All the Real Girls, but they're both excellent. FWIW, I don't find George Washington to be depressing really. More thoughtful than depressing. And much of it is actually funny. I also really like his third film, Undertow, which is similar tonally to George Washington. Snow Angels was a big disappointment. It was OK, but not as good as his previous films.
Yeah Snow Angels was fine, but nothing special.  I feel the same way about Undertow, althought it was better than Snow Angels.  Pineapple Express was definitely a weird choice for him.

ratioci nation

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
  Happiness. Man, that movie just hurts so good.
He is working on a movie which he says isnt really a direct sequel to Happiness but is related.  Starring Paris Hilton. I dont expect much.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »
I haven't cried at a movie in a long time the way that I cried last night watching Milk. Seriously, it was gut-wrenching for me.

I think everyone should see this movie. Everyone.
Woof.

Relaxer

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »
Saw Slumdog last night and really liked it a lot.
oword

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »
John Tucker Must Die

thirsty moore

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2008, 05:56:00 pm »
I saw Synecdoche, New York last night.  The movie turned out to be a bunch of people growing older and crying.  The theater was crowded, I'll give it that.

brennser

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2008, 08:35:38 am »
ok so it took a couple of weeks but we finally got out to see slumdog last night - incredible stuff - heartbreaking, heartwarming, funny - thanks for the suggestion

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2008, 01:31:26 pm »
I saw Milk in San Francisco and it was a great crowd. A good chunk of the crowd had lived in SF when all of this happened. There wasnt a dry eye in the theater. Probably one of the best films Ive seen this year (granted now is the time for all the award films to come out). Id have handed the Oscar straight to Sean Penn, but Im hoping it goes to Mickey Rourke. His performance in The Wrestler is amazing!

I haven't cried at a movie in a long time the way that I cried last night watching Milk. Seriously, it was gut-wrenching for me.

HeyLa

Darth Ed

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2008, 02:24:58 pm »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:
Yeah Snow Angels was fine, but nothing special.  I feel the same way about Undertow, althought it was better than Snow Angels.  Pineapple Express was definitely a weird choice for him.
You're right. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the face that he directed Pineapple Express. I really love Undertow.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2008, 08:31:35 pm »
Damn, this movie made me cry, too!!!   :'( :'( :'(

(_|_)