Author Topic: Vertical earbud banded headphone apocalypse  (Read 10592 times)

bellenseb

Vertical earbud banded headphone apocalypse
« on: December 20, 2012, 10:37:53 am »
These are my preferred style headphones, but they have become impossible to find in stores. Best Buy, Target, etc. have hundreds of high-end cans and bandless earbuds but none of my banded buds. It's easy enough to order online when I need a pair, but kind of shocked.

Does everyone really prefer earbuds for their cheap lightweight headphone needs? Banded buds stay in my ears much better and they rest on my neck when I need to take them off. AM I ALONE

K8teebug

Re: Vertical earbud banded headphone apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:40:51 am »
I love earbuds.  Have you tried a running store?  There are alot of earbuds used by runners...

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 12:05:14 pm »
Does anyone have or use a headphone amp with their iDevice?  Something like this?  I keep hearing about portable amps, but there's so much snake oil in the "audiophile industry" that I have doubts about whether these things are worthwhile.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 12:27:37 pm »
Earbuds hurt my ear and regular headphones also hurt my ears. I need to find the right pair, I always seems to find headphones that [over prolonged usage] press on my ears too much and it ends up hurting after an hour of use or so. Same thing with ear buds. I need to find ones that conform to my gigantic, El Salvadorean ears.
‼‼?‼‼

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 01:21:46 pm »
i have two sets of earbuds.  my fancier buds are Klipsch S4.  they sound awesome.

my everyday cheapies for jogging, commuting, etc are Sony MDR-AS40EX (link).  i like the "earclip" design better than a headband.  sound is quite good.  they aren't the strongest on bass but i can take care of that via equalizer.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 02:40:22 pm »
I have the Plantronic wireless backbeat 903+ as my earbuds for running and commuting, and a set of UrbanEars Plattan's for traveling. 
27>34

slappy

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 03:28:21 pm »
I always go to head-fi.org first for research.
Well organized and has user reviews and rankings. A bunch of audiophiles that cover all prices and generally aren't snobs.
Here's their 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for in-ear.
http://www.head-fi.org/a/2012-head-fi-holiday-gift-guide-in-ear

I got a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50s over-ear headphones based on reviews. The sound is better than most headphones that are twice the price. 

ggw

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 04:19:00 pm »
I hate earbuds.  Uncomfortable and they always fall out when I run.  The best phones I have found for running are these Sennheisers.  They stay in place and the fit is loose enough that I can detect any kamikaze cyclists or would-be muggers bearing down on me from behind. 

I went through a couple of pairs of those Sonys that sweetcell linked but they crapped out after a few weeks due to the apparently unusually large quantity of sweat I produce in the ear region.

James Ford

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 04:21:15 pm »
I think it's probably best not to run with music playing in your ears, particularly if you're crossing streets or running on a the side of a road with no sidewalk.

ggw

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 04:26:34 pm »
I think it's probably best not to run with music playing in your ears, particularly if you're crossing streets or running on a the side of a road with no sidewalk.

Thanks Grandma.

shemptiness

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 04:37:38 pm »

Seriously.

K8teebug

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 05:00:39 pm »
I do not run with headphones or music.  One - I love to listen to the outdoors, Two - I'm deaf in my right ear and can't hear much anyway, Three - I need the other ear for listening for cars and dogs and other things which might injure me while running.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 05:14:17 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 05:55:53 pm »
I went through a couple of pairs of those Sonys that sweetcell linked but they crapped out after a few weeks due to the apparently unusually large quantity of sweat I produce in the ear region.

considering how much hair you have pouring out of your ears, i'm not surprised to hear this (and frankly, i'm shocked you can hear anything at all).
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 06:06:35 pm »
Are right folks, what are the people using these days?

I was using these Micro-USB plug headphones instead of 3.5mm Analog plug to keep the digital sound and power the DAC, but this weekend I upgraded from the LG G4 to the LG G5.  The G5 uses a USB-C plug and the upgraded version aren't going to be ready until July (if they meet their target).  I tried a Micro-USB to USB-C adapter, but it didn't work.

So, I'm need of a stop gap 3.5mm analog in ear head set.  I'd like to stay in the $25-$75 range if possible as I only need to use them for a few months. 

What say ye, people of the analog world?
27>34