Author Topic: Coachella 2013 - The Postal Service reunites, music snobs love/hate it  (Read 14619 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Coachella 2013 - The Postal Service reunites, music snobs love/hate it
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 05:12:53 am »
Who do the Red Hot Chili Shits keep blowing to get all these headlining gigs? They are horrendous yet keep getting all these high end headlining slots.

On the bright side: good time to vacate to beat the crowd and get a bit of sleep before moving on the following day.

This also means only one thing: Sonic will be there. Remember Sonic from a couple years ago who use to post here all the time? He once said that he was cursed with these guys. Everytime he went to some festival, he got stuck having to put up with them. Sonic, if you are reading this, sorry dude. What a miserable curse! Or, is it your fault they're on the bill?  ;D

wml7

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 08:23:27 am »
None of the Coachella headliners are wow, but the undercard is pretty decent.  Primevera still looks good.  Let's hope Bonnaroo and Lolla are great
 ;D

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 08:36:20 am »
uh stone roses / blur are  ;D

and what this thread is missing now is a Brian W. rant about how the Stone Roses have gone in popularity...
T.Rex

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 08:56:36 am »
None of the Coachella headliners are wow, but the undercard is pretty decent. 

My take as well.  Undercard is strong enough to make going very worthwhile (wish I were, in fact).

The Chili Peppers' ongoing ability to score headlining gigs at festivals is rather astounding.

K8teebug

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 09:38:42 am »
Grinderman and Nick Cave.  Pretty cool.

wml7

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 10:09:58 am »
Still one of the top festivals I would love to attend but so damn expensive
 ;D

stevewizzle

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 10:15:20 am »
so damn expensive.  that saturday line-up is nice, but friday and sunday seem pretty meh to me.

if i had the money to do one big festival, i would skip over to primavera this year. would probably cost less than coachella, too.

bearman🐻

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 10:21:18 am »
Primavera looks incredible. But there is a HUGE chunk of truly great bands at Coachella this year. And I must give a shoutout to DC's own Deathfix and the Evens for being there too, which is really nice to see. I'm happy for those guys. My only consolation for not going is that I've seen most of these bands anyway, and I'm sure a bunch will come through the area at some point this year.

bearman🐻

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 10:44:54 am »
Aside from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the other band I'm getting sick of is the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. They have to be one of the most overrated, non-deserving bands out there. I just don't get the appeal. Vampire Weekend too. I think it just boils down to the fact that the YYYs and RHCPs have very good management and they can get the bands whatever they want. The RHCPs is basically a legacy act that fills a void at these events when they can't get the Rolling Stones or a Pink Floyd reunion or whatever. There's a few of them out there. I'd include the Foo Fighters and Metallica in that category. Sad that a band like the Beastie Boys, whom I really like and don't mind seeing, won't be appearing at these things again. But I guarantee you in a few years you'll see an Oasis reunion, a Sugarcubes reunion, and I'm sure Coldplay will headline sometime again within the next 3 years. All they can keep doing is making sure there are decent 2nd tier bands to keep it interesting.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 10:49:13 am »
what you say about my coldplay?

atomicfront

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 10:58:57 am »
Aside from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the other band I'm getting sick of is the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. They have to be one of the most overrated, non-deserving bands out there. I just don't get the appeal. Vampire Weekend too. I think it just boils down to the fact that the YYYs and RHCPs have very good management and they can get the bands whatever they want. The RHCPs is basically a legacy act that fills a void at these events when they can't get the Rolling Stones or a Pink Floyd reunion or whatever. There's a few of them out there. I'd include the Foo Fighters and Metallica in that category. Sad that a band like the Beastie Boys, whom I really like and don't mind seeing, won't be appearing at these things again. But I guarantee you in a few years you'll see an Oasis reunion, a Sugarcubes reunion, and I'm sure Coldplay will headline sometime again within the next 3 years. All they can keep doing is making sure there are decent 2nd tier bands to keep it interesting.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs are one of the best live bands in the world.  Their last album was one of the top 10 of the decade.  I think they are very underrated as a band and if they had a male lead singer they would be headlining. 

Relaxer

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 11:00:01 am »
Hoping this means Earl Sweatshirt is back and active.
oword

bearman🐻

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 11:04:02 am »
Funny, I've seen the Yeah Yeah Yeahs 3 times, never thought of them as being a great live band. I've tried, trust me. But I'm glad that folks get enjoyment from them.

atomicfront

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 11:05:02 am »
None of the Coachella headliners are wow, but the undercard is pretty decent. 

My take as well.  Undercard is strong enough to make going very worthwhile (wish I were, in fact).

The Chili Peppers' ongoing ability to score headlining gigs at festivals is rather astounding.

Even though I told Antony Kiedis "why don't you do us both a favor and change professions" in 1984.. I don't think it is hard to see why they get headlining gigs.  They have had a ton of radio play for the stuff that came out during the Frusciante years.  He is a musical genius and incredible guitarist.  I am sure people going to a festival don't realize that Frusciante isn't in the band they just want to hear all the hits.  

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 11:08:07 am »
atomicfront, two things

everybody here knows you are a past boardie and trying to pass yourself off as somebody new.  nobody believes a single word that comes out of your hands.  it is amusing, for me, to read what you post, so by all  means keep it up . . . just realize that everybody else thinks you are a ______.