Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies: local venues  (Read 5628 times)

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
Dropping Like Flies: local venues
« on: February 13, 2013, 04:50:42 pm »
Thought it made sense to put local venue RIPs in a separate thread.

the Recher Theatre in Towson is shutting down at the end of March and will become a nightclub called the Torrent Lounge.
http://parkville.patch.com/articles/recher-theatre-shutting-down-torrent-lounge-opening-in-stead

atomicfront

Re: Dropping Like Flies: local venues
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 04:54:10 pm »
Thought it made sense to put local venue RIPs in a separate thread.

the Recher Theatre in Towson is shutting down at the end of March and will become a nightclub called the Torrent Lounge.
http://parkville.patch.com/articles/recher-theatre-shutting-down-torrent-lounge-opening-in-stead

Actually not bad news.  They never had bands I wanted to see there anyway.  Of Montreal played their last year but I was out of town. Other than that the last time I saw someone there was Echo and the Bunnymen probably 10 years ago or something. 

Dance Club!!!!

azaghal1981

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:02:00 pm »
Never been. I was set to go up for Future of the Left then Sandy delayed their arrival to the States until after they were due to play.
احمد

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:11:32 pm »
Saw Clutch and a couple other shows there. A shame but I'm not surprised.

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 05:22:54 pm »
I went there once-- Sonic Youth & the Liars in November of 2002.  Any other show I wanted to see up there made its way through DC eventually (except for the aforementioned Future of the Left tour last year).

James Ford

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 05:25:34 pm »
By far and away the smokiest venue I've ever been to. Back when the assholes were still allowed to smoke at shows, the smoke got so bad there at a 3+ hour DBT show, my wife went and sat in the car for awhile.

azaghal1981

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 05:38:24 pm »
I bet the backbar got pretty horrible back then unless they always left open the outside door.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 05:43:49 pm »
saw some very cool shows there but its been a long time since they booked anything interesting..something changed with that venue's booking..

some cool shows I saw there were Wilco around when Mermaid Avenue II came out, Ween, Guided By Voices..forget what else

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 05:59:12 pm »
Sorry to hear this.  Loved the venue.  Saw Nils Lofgren, Psych Furs, Crack the Sky, and of course The Runways, amongst other bands.  Seeing Bad Books this month, if they don't sell out.

evilizac

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 06:49:58 pm »
Kept wanting to go there recently when my friend (GF's Cousin) got into Towson. . . seemed to only have terribly uninteresting or just terrible shows. . . I enjoyed seeing Interpol there (went for Raveonettes. . . got wowed by the headliners).
Was new in town and got lost on the way back home on the beltway. . . so I circled the entire thing until I saw the exit for my grandma's (Silver Spring/Georgia Ave). 
Oh well.
WHAT?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 07:45:43 pm »
By far and away the smokiest venue I've ever been to. Back when the assholes were still allowed to smoke at shows, the smoke got so bad there at a 3+ hour DBT show, my wife went and sat in the car for awhile.

that, is what you, get for listening, to drive by truckers.  what beer did you have this evening.  i had firestone walker on draughffft growler style.  oh yeah! 

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 07:51:46 pm »
I saw 4 or 5 shows there over the years.  As I recall we had a pretty good time at all of them.
FUKIT

James Ford

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 08:08:48 pm »
red wine tonight!

that, is what you, get for listening, to drive by truckers.  what beer did you have this evening.  i had firestone walker on draughffft growler style.  oh yeah! 

Unsanity

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 03:57:32 am »
First the Red Palace now Recher. Damn

Recher always kinda sucked. They have not booked anything worthwhile in 5 years. I did see maybe 6 or 7 shows there and had a good time at each one but the place just did not do anything for me.

K8teebug

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 10:03:55 am »
I used to go there all the time in the late 90's early 2000's.  Saw some really great shows there.  I always loved it.  The Wilco show especially stands out in my mind.