Author Topic: Best rock clubs in America list  (Read 32062 times)

hutch

Best rock clubs in America list
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:19:32 pm »
cannot believe the 930 did not make the top 20...
as someone wrote in the comments the 930 club may be the best club on the planet.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-best-clubs-in-america-20130328

azaghal1981

Re: Best rock clubs in America list
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 09:27:53 pm »
List voided.

Fact that it is an RS list hurts its cred bad enough as it is. The only thing left worth reading in RS is anything Matt Taibbi writes.
احمد

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:33:28 pm »
List voided.

Fact that it is an RS list hurts its cred bad enough as it is. The only thing left worth reading in RS is anything Matt Taibbi writes.

+1
😐 🎶

hutch

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:37:02 pm »
List voided.

well when you look at the list there are some people on there that you'd think would have voted for the 930... like corin tucker

but there are a bunch of pieces of shit too.. michael rapino from live nation??? sharon osbourne? why are these clowns voting? when was the last time sharon osbourne went to a rock club???

i think they should have based it more on bands that play clubs rather than so many industry people..its tough to compile this kind of list though....  phoenix never played the 930...why would mars vote for the place?

i think their voting sample is just too small to be meaningful

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:46:15 pm »
Actually Phoenix played the 9:30 club twice in 2005 and 2006.
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:49:17 pm »
Actually Phoenix played the 9:30 club twice in 2005 and 2006.

really? wow...had no idea.

not that it is germane to the thread but did they headline or open? thanks.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 09:56:07 pm »
Headline both times and I got to DJ both shows...

T.Rex

azaghal1981

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 10:09:41 pm »
I am more surprised to see Tucker listed there than I am to see Rapino and Osbourne. Those two are major industry figures and Rolling Stone is the closest thing there is to a Music Industry magazine.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 10:24:03 pm »
Headline both times and I got to DJ both shows...

fascinating....given that in 2009 or thereabouts they played rock and roll hotel...i take it they were a bit down before Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix blew up...

I wish I'd been at those 930 shows....

azaghal1981

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 10:37:09 pm »
I definitely remember seeing at least one of those shows announced.
It was at like...the end of April?
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 05:50:33 am »
I think the Phoenix RRH show ended up there in part because both the 9:30 club and the Blackcat already had artists booked that night.  There is also the build hype via a intimate gig strategy...
T.Rex

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 10:03:30 am »
though i tend to agree that rolling stone magazine is a very biased slanted point of origin . . . but then again, what really isn?t?  everybody lets personal opinion slip into their writings.  it forms part of the structure of what they want people to gain from said writing.  but rolling stone magazine has had money for article scandals, "friends with the owner gets you everywhere? talk, and just downright questionable reviews of movies and music that did not deserve the praise/bs heaved at us, with their red stars.  i hate those fucking red stars.  but the point of all this is that i look at the nine thirty club and i just see a place that gets that same sort of "forced write up" from everybody around here, because it is home, it is the place we feel "apart of."  i have my place as well that i worship and say is the best but on a grand scale nobody truly recognizes.  i actually feel that the national in richmond (not my favorite) gives nine thirty a run for the prize every time.  but that is my write up.  nine thirty cant be the best or the greatest . . . when you have an entire country of ?greatest places? with stories and people that promote them.  the end.

stevewizzle

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 10:16:55 am »
I think the Phoenix RRH show ended up there in part because both the 9:30 club and the Blackcat already had artists booked that night.  There is also the build hype via a intimate gig strategy...

yeah - when they played DAR later that year they got to say "last time we were in DC we played some shitty hole in the wall called rock and roll hotel!".  it gave the crowd a warm, nostalgic feeling, like they were witnessing the ascent of a band.

they should have blown up with it's never been like that, and it just didn't happen.

anyways, that list is stupid, and nobody should give rolling stone the online traffic.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 10:45:13 am »
Presented by Stub Hub

atomicfront

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 12:09:36 pm »
I don't get the complaints on this thread.  You haven't even mentioned one club on the list that doesn't belong.   You know the 930 club and you have been there what benefit would it be to you if it were on the list?  I was suprised that just about every club in Chicago is on the list.  But whatever, if you are ever in one of the cities with a club listed you can use the article as a reference if you want or not. 

I have never been to any of these places though Union Transfer does seem to get a lot of cool bands.  I will probably visit it before too long.