Author Topic: Best rock clubs in America list  (Read 32069 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Best rock clubs in America list
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2013, 04:27:24 pm »
the next thing your going to tell us is that you lived in a paper bag in a septic tank
T.Rex

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2013, 04:57:08 pm »
i live in the vanilla-white safe suburbs, but i have to trek through the evil chocolate depths of downtown DC for work.

i get shot and stabbed on a daily basis - on my way to work, and then again on my way back.  you people who live far away from here and don't spend time in the city totally have it right.  this place is death waiting to happen. 

advice: please stay away.

i enjoy how you assume it is a "white/black" thing.  i feel it is a city thing.  now stay in "your city", get shot in the gut and fuck off.

atomicfront

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2013, 08:01:59 pm »
living in baltimore, i find it laughable anywhere around the 930 would be considered 'bad'

although i do remember the WUST days..i was also much younger and not as experienced back then...much less 'street smart'

I live in Baltimore but not in a bad area like the 930 club is in.  I live a block from the county line.

atomicfront

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2013, 01:46:09 am »
One thing of interest related to parking is that once I was at one of the meter spots and I waited in my car until after the meter was in effect.  I got out and no one was around when I came back I had a ticket for parking without paying the meter.  I of course refused to pay the ticket.  DC government put it on my credit report.  I then contacted the credit bureaus and they removed it.  This wasn't the first time I had gotten a bogus parking ticket in DC either.   And DC is the only place I have ever gotten bogus parking tickets. 

I did get pulled over for running a red light a couple of months ago in DC.  Which I actually did do.  The cop only gave me a warning though. 

atomicfront

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2013, 01:42:37 pm »
OK so I looked up on the DC Murder Map and in 2010 on two occasions someone was murdered within a  block of the 930 club.  In 2008 someone was murdered where ShowlistDC told me to park. In 2005 someone was murdered on 8th and Florida.  In 2007 and 2008 three  people were murdered on 9th in the block below Florida. In 2006 someone was murdered at 10th and V. In 2006 and in 2011 someone was murdered at Georgia and W.  And there were a shitload of murders within 3 blocks of the club. 

I am not stopped from going to the club because of Crime but I park in the pay lot before wandering the neighborhood looking for free parking.  And to advise others that the  area is safe is quite dangerous.

Interestingly enough the area  west of conneticut avenue in DC seems to be almost murder free. 

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2013, 06:58:21 pm »
I got killed on the Booka Shade show the other night

Here's the thing

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2013, 09:16:23 pm »
You should have parked in the secure lot.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2013, 08:32:21 am »

Sweetcell did it with a glowstick in the backbar
T.Rex

Relaxer

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2013, 01:00:02 pm »
That post is going to give walkonby a love missile f-101.
oword

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2013, 01:17:11 pm »
 :o
T.Rex

Relaxer

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2013, 02:52:54 pm »
I mean, it just works on so many levels.
oword

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2013, 03:16:15 pm »
I mean, it just works on so many levels.

totally agree... it's a Clue reference gone rogue
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2013, 06:46:42 pm »

too bad, too, it was a really fun show.  shame it wasn't more attended.
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2013, 10:52:13 am »

Booka who?

bearman🐻

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2013, 11:32:12 am »
Funny, I bet most of you weren't living in DC or old enough to go to 9:30 Club shows in 1996/97, when it opened and around the time I worked there. And probably not around to see shows at WUST. That being said, the neighborhood (and the city) were far more transitional then. I couldn't even find a cab at 3 in the AM on a Saturday night after work because there were NO CARS on U Street. Nobody walking either. Can you comprehend that now? The reality is that crime (and murder) can happen ANYWHERE, even in affluent areas (and it does). You're in a city, use your street smarts. Park under a bright light, don't leave anything in the car that is worth taking. Look around you. Have people with you. The 9:30 Club doesn't need Sharon Osbourne's validation to be great. We all now that it's a terrific place to see a show. Lists don't mean anything

For the record, here are some of my favorite clubs to see a concert, and the 9:30 is the first...but here are the others top 5:

1) Belly Up (San Diego)
2) TLA (Philly)
3) The Abbey Pub (Chicago)
4) World Cafe Live Downstairs (Philly)
5) The Double Door (Chicago)