Author Topic: Favorite First Quarter Albums - 2013  (Read 25112 times)

Relaxer

Re: Favorite First Quarter Albums - 2013
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 10:42:27 am »
can you really put the knife . . . when it hasnt come out yet?  dont make me break out the leather.

Well I understand the mindset here but in this day and age, release dates don't mean much. I've listened to it a half-dozen times and love it, so I include it
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 10:44:28 am »
And yeah, Justin Timberlake will prob be on my end of year list.
oword

brennser

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 01:02:59 pm »

atomicfront

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 01:53:52 pm »

Suede

also very good

it would be a good time for Suede to return to the 930 club.  I guess their original guitarist isn't in the reunion.  What is he up to as it doesn't appear he played on Duffy's last album.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 04:26:14 pm »
Mountains - Centralia
Oval - Calidostópia!
Paint Branch - I Wanna Live
Pere Ubu - Lady From Shanghai

Atom? - HD
😐 🎶

azaghal1981

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 05:29:24 pm »
I heard a track off that Bowie album yesterday and it was much better than the first single.
Makes me want to hear more of it.
احمد

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 05:34:19 pm »
the best part of all these lists is it reminds of the stuff i still need to checkout..

hutch

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 11:02:10 pm »
I heard a track off that Bowie album yesterday and it was much better than the first single.
Makes me want to hear more of it.

I just picked it up yesterday...

its very good..but its brickwalled... hurt my ears to listen to it even though i picked up the vinyl which is supposed to be less compressed...

i don't know why they do this to good music..

the album sounds completely different from that first single..

its not very experimental though... a couple of tracks sound a bit like morphine...  the template seems to be late 70s bowie...but in a more conventional straight ahead rock way..

i'll probably listen to it again now..

of course for someone who loves bowie as much as i do its such a huge and unexpected gift...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:04:02 pm by hutch »

azaghal1981

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 11:34:16 pm »
Ugh. I hate overcompression. Most ugly thing you can do to music. We all have volume knobs and buttons on whatever we use to listen to music and are able to turn it up ourselves, thankyouverymuch.
احمد

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 12:35:36 am »
Contemporary compression came about in the late 90s as a dubiously "practical" solution to volume differences between MP3s. Unfortunately, it became an aesthetic choice of mastering style desired mostly by the labels, not the artists. And not just the majors; lots of indies, too. They wanted their releases to be louder than the competition and a "war" was born. Some acts did this relatively naturally through the sound they developed. A Hüsker Dü tune always blew away whatever came before it on the radio. Japanese noise and psych will hurt your ears because fuck you! that's the way they like it.

A lot of people think that CDs are compressed but that's a myth. In fact a CD can hold a much greater range of volume (dynamic range) than vinyl. A lot of older music on vinyl actually was compressed but very subtly, not the "brick walling" prevalent today. This was especially true of classical music. The producers of the famous Mercury Living Presence releases worked with the conductors to hold back on the fortes and raise the pianissimos so that they didn't have to ride gain (raise and lower the tape input signal as the volume changed), resulting in a more natural sounding record.

Unless a label is intentionally screwing over their CD customers, if a new release CD is compressed then the vinyl will be, too.
😐 🎶

stevewizzle

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 09:01:18 am »
paint branch
tuxedo ep
california x (s/t)
jim james (late edit)

lots of good releases coming out in april
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:34:29 pm by stevewizzle »

bearman🐻

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 09:25:13 am »
The new Face to Face LP came out yesterday. One song sounds exactly like "Making Believe" by Social D. Not sure how I feel about the direction they took yet. I need to absorb the whole thing. On first listen though, I'm not sure how much it'll sink in.