Author Topic: atomicfront's Thread of Contrarianism?  (Read 126822 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: atomicfront's Thread of Contrarianism?
« Reply #195 on: June 26, 2013, 03:06:52 pm »
After attending the Dwight Yoakam concert last Friday and subsequently walking down U Street at 1am or so, I almost started a thread when I got home to the effect of "DC has more douchey people than any other city". But I held off.

Just thought I'd add that to the conversation.
I was walking down 14th, between U and R, on Saturday night around 6 or 7 and there are SO many douchebags. Too many patios, too many restaurants, too squeaky clean. Damn you, gentrification.

I guess you prefer when that stretch was filled with prostitutes and massage palors.
I was talking about diversity, you dingus.
‼‼?‼‼

James Ford

« Reply #196 on: June 26, 2013, 03:09:29 pm »
For a moment i did have that longing for some panhandler to threaten and verbally abuse me when i refused to give him anything. Which always happened in the old days (you got worse if you were a cute girl walking alone) But only for a moment.

After attending the Dwight Yoakam concert last Friday and subsequently walking down U Street at 1am or so, I almost started a thread when I got home to the effect of "DC has more douchey people than any other city". But I held off.

I was walking down 14th, between U and R, on Saturday night around 6 or 7 and there are SO many douchebags. Too many patios, too many restaurants, too squeaky clean. Damn you, gentrification.

I guess you prefer when that stretch was filled with prostitutes and massage palors.

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #197 on: June 26, 2013, 03:32:20 pm »

The Matchbox has good mini burgers, though.

James Ford

« Reply #198 on: June 26, 2013, 03:39:36 pm »
Sure, if eating murdered animals is your thing.

Yada

« Reply #199 on: June 26, 2013, 03:43:41 pm »
I guess that is an unfortunate reaction to gentrification.

All of the other hoods; C. Heights, Petworth, H. Street, hell even 9th and U street areas five/six years ago had nice little hidden gems, but now those are the popular spots. You can't escape douchiness in this city any longer.

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #200 on: June 26, 2013, 04:00:29 pm »

Isn't it everybody's?

hutch

« Reply #201 on: June 26, 2013, 05:41:49 pm »
the change on 14th street the past few years has been dramatic...personally I think some of the development is nice but a lot of it is so boring.. I mean how many overpriced restaurants/bars does one street need? I guess all people care about is drinking and eating....... thank god for Som Records, Miss Pixies, etc... it was a shame that chocolate shop couldn't make it.. and before the development there was a nice bookstore there..

I read in City Paper that last month (or month before now) 8 new restaurants opened up on 14th St.

for a few years i was taking pictures of every block on 14th between N and just north of U.. unfortunately life got in the way and I abadoned that project a few years back... 14th street still had some grit and remnants of the old industrial zone ...

what really set the whole thing in motion was that Whole Foods moving in... that got things going...that was probably about 12-13 years ago now.. the change has only really  picked up pace in the past 3 years..

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #202 on: June 27, 2013, 10:05:35 am »

I only eat animals that died of natural causes.
‼‼?‼‼

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #203 on: June 27, 2013, 10:11:35 am »
I guess that is an unfortunate reaction to gentrification.

All of the other hoods; C. Heights, Petworth, H. Street, hell even 9th and U street areas five/six years ago had nice little hidden gems, but now those are the popular spots. You can't escape douchiness in this city any longer.
You can escape it a little in Petworth. Right around where the metro is still isn't the best area and you can chill out at Looking Glass/DC Reynolds/Chez Billy.

The whole U St Corridor area has attracted an epic proportion of douchebags. H St has good dive bars BUT are they really that divey when they're crammed with douches? I still love me Velvet/Duffy's/Solly's/Dc9.
‼‼?‼‼

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2013, 10:50:00 am »
I only eat animals that died of natural causes.

I once had somebody tell me that they don't eat anything with a central nervous system.  I nearly convinced him it was OK to eat starfish, on the grounds that their nervous system is decentralized.

I never did go back to check and see if that was true in any way.

atomicfront

« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2013, 03:25:19 pm »
This is photo you have to love.  James Woods with his new 20 year old girlfriend.  He dated his previous girlfriend for 6 years but as she was now 26, time to trade her in for a newer model.

James Ford

« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2013, 03:58:01 pm »
Google "James Woods large penis"

atomicfront

« Reply #207 on: June 28, 2013, 10:09:58 am »
Are newspapers dead?  I subscribed to Baltimore Sun online to read their sports section and then I realized I don't even read their sports section anymore.  Their Sports staff is so small and is made up almost entirely of Opinion writers who don't have very good opinions.  I end up reading MASN Sports for Orioles coverage and the Ravens site for Ravens coverage.  What is the point?  Other than seeing how many people have been shot in my city today.

killsaly

« Reply #208 on: June 28, 2013, 10:19:09 am »
City Paper does a good job of posting the weekly murder count. 

atomicfront

« Reply #209 on: June 28, 2013, 11:04:00 am »
Google "James Woods large penis"

I am sure it has more to do with him being rich and famous than the size of anything on his body.