Author Topic: Your top 10 all time New York music acts  (Read 20897 times)

Bagley

Re: Your top 10 all time New York music acts
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 02:01:05 pm »
Ok, somebody had to do it ..............  Billy Joel

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 02:01:17 pm »
i dont understand the point of this thread

atomicfront

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 02:12:40 pm »

Wow Billy Joel is from NYC.  THey seem to have a lot of hit makers.  Why do people focus on the the 70's heroin addicts staying at the Chelsea hotel and playing at CGBG's when they actually have superstars?  What about Madonna?  She made it from NYC right? 

Yada

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 02:15:08 pm »

Wow Billy Joel is from NYC.  THey seem to have a lot of hit makers.  Why do people focus on the the 70's heroin addicts staying at the Chelsea hotel and playing at CGBG's when they actually have superstars?  What about Madonna?  She made it from NYC right? 

Michigan.

bearman🐻

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 02:57:33 pm »
To me the Velvets belong entirely on their own list, just as the Stooges do too. And really the Ramones as well. Some bands just don't contribute to the musical landscape; they invent an entirely new language.

James Ford

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 03:07:04 pm »
Madonna Louise Ciccone[1] (/tʃɪˈkoʊneɪ/ chi-KOH-nay; born August 16, 1958) is an American singer-songwriter, actress, director, dancer, and entrepreneur. Born in Bay City, Michigan, she moved to New York City in 1977 to pursue a career in modern dance and performed in the music groups Breakfast Club and Emmy. In 1982, Madonna signed to Sire Records (an affiliate of Warner Bros. Records) and released her self-titled debut album the following year.

Michigan.

atomicfront

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 03:08:32 pm »
Madonna Louise Ciccone[1] (/tʃɪˈkoʊneɪ/ chi-KOH-nay; born August 16, 1958) is an American singer-songwriter, actress, director, dancer, and entrepreneur. Born in Bay City, Michigan, she moved to New York City in 1977 to pursue a career in modern dance and performed in the music groups Breakfast Club and Emmy. In 1982, Madonna signed to Sire Records (an affiliate of Warner Bros. Records) and released her self-titled debut album the following year.

Michigan.

So then  you could say she is a NYC act since she didn't make it until 1984. 

reggie

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 03:18:28 pm »
At one point does an artist get to claim they are a "New York artist"? Is Ryan Adams a New York artist ?(I'm assuming he still lives there)

he lives in LA now....but my favorite stretch (Cold Roses, Jacksonville City Nights, 29)  comes from his NYC years, so, yknow...

Yada

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 03:32:12 pm »
At one point does an artist get to claim they are a "New York artist"? Is Ryan Adams a New York artist ?(I'm assuming he still lives there)

he lives in LA now....but my favorite stretch (Cold Roses, Jacksonville City Nights, 29)  comes from his NYC years, so, yknow...

Interesting, first person ever I've heard consider those albums their favorite of his catalog.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2013, 04:51:02 pm »

As for Television I think they are the most over-rated band of all time.  Case of all the press being in NYC so they overrate the bands fro NYC. 

they really are... i mean arguably one great album side (the first one on the first lp)..
I'd actually agree on their output, but side one of Marquee moon is so great.  And they get so many bonus points for impact and style in my book.

bearman🐻

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2013, 05:58:29 pm »

As for Television I think they are the most over-rated band of all time.  Case of all the press being in NYC so they overrate the bands fro NYC. 

they really are... i mean arguably one great album side (the first one on the first lp)..
I'd actually agree on their output, but side one of Marquee moon is so great.  And they get so many bonus points for impact and style in my book.

Funny thing about a band like Television...they don't sound so revolutionary now because people copied them and probably did a better job expanding on what they started doing. But for the time they came out, their music was so different and like a breath of fresh air. Amazing guitar playing. If you've heard "Marquee Moon" on a rainy Saturday at 3am, it's perfect music. It has its place, but it's not something you need to hear all the time.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2013, 06:33:00 pm »
Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings
Menahan Street Band
Ikebe Shakedown
Television
Kid Creole and the Coconuts
Talking Heads
T.Rex

radley17

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 12:31:30 am »
Y'all have mentioned most of the "classic" NYC bands and artists. Here's a few that merit mention.

KISS
Magnetic Fields
Silos
Fleshtones
Steely Dan
Dirty Projectors
Pete Seeger
Anthrax
Public Enemy
Liars
Helmet
Blonde Redhead

hutch

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 01:15:36 am »
To me the Velvets belong entirely on their own list, just as the Stooges do too. And really the Ramones as well. Some bands just don't contribute to the musical landscape; they invent an entirely new language.

huh? they are new york bands who could arguably only have come from new york. ... that is what the poster was asking...

I would add New York Dolls to my list... very NYC...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2013, 07:32:14 am »
No love for LCD Soundsystem?
<sig>