Author Topic: Kim replaces Kim in Pixies  (Read 6627 times)

James Ford

Re: Kim replaces Kim in Pixies
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 01:38:23 pm »
I was thinking maybe it was Kim Gordon.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 01:51:58 pm »
thats about as bad as what billy does with his pumpkins line up.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 10:56:21 am »
Kim Shattuck talks Pixies Exit (from Stereogum):

http://www.stereogum.com/1598631/kim-shattuck-talks-pixies-exit/franchises/wheres-the-beef

"I was surprised. Everything had gone well, the reviews were all good and the fans were super-nice about everything. They were like, ?We love you, New Kim!? We said goodbye at the airport, and the following morning, the manager called me and said: ?The band has made the decision to go with another bass player.? I was shocked? I get the feeling they?re more introverted people than I am. Nobody really talked about deep issues, at least out loud. There was a show at the Mayan in Los Angeles where I got overly enthusiastic and jumped into the crowd, and I know they weren?t thrilled about that. When I got offstage the manager told me not to do that again. I said, ?Really, for my own safety?? And he said, ?No, because the Pixies don?t do that.?? I would have preferred it is they told me face to face as a group, but they?re nice people. I?m still a fan of the Pixies!"
(_|_)

atomic

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 10:59:37 am »

When I saw Sonic Youth they had someone from  Pavement playing bass in the back while Kim Gordon pretended to play bass up front.  She is done.

atomic

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 11:02:30 am »
thats about as bad as what billy does with his pumpkins line up.

Well I guess no one would go to see the bands if they called them  Frank Black and Billy Corrigan but  people go if they call them the Pixies or Smashing Pumpkins ...More a problem of the fans. I can see why they kicked someone out of the band. I saw their tour documentary on Netflix and they are probably the most boring people in the world.  It wouldn't be hard for someone else to get more attention and make them jealous.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 11:03:22 am »
Pixies are rolling with Paz Lenchantin, who coincidentally, is a previous Corgan fill-in as well.
LVMH

Vas Deferens

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 11:06:40 am »
Paz better not crowd surf! 
(_|_)

emmanuel

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 11:38:26 am »

When I saw Sonic Youth they had someone from  Pavement playing bass in the back while Kim Gordon pretended to play bass up front.  She is done.

There a medical reason... but yeah don't expect her to fill bass duties for other bands.

At least the Pixies have a few original members, don't they?

hutch

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 12:01:20 pm »
Pixies are rolling with Paz Lenchantin, who coincidentally, is a previous Corgan fill-in as well.

they are.

I have to say I think its so stupid.. who cares? I mean its obviously someone on retainer with no say in anything; someone the manager/roadie tells what to do.. . they seem to want to pretend they have picked a new "band member"....well they haven't... and without Kim its really the Frank Black, Black Francis, and Charles Townsend show..... I don't have a problem with that but the way the story has been covered it sounds like the Rolling Stones just selected Mick Taylor to fill Brian Jones' shoes or something..... except, you know, the Pixies haven't had anything to say to the world in over 20 years ago and aren't going to say anything of note going forward..this isn't the Stones going on to record Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street etc.

Has there ever been a reunion which went from being so wanted to so unwanted? Its like break up already guys.. Of course if I got a free ticket I'd go see "the Pixies" but these guys now have nothing left in common with that Boston band from the 1980s...

Vas Deferens

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 12:08:10 pm »
They definitely overstayed their welcome.

It was exciting in 2004, though (10 years ago!) ......
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 12:12:26 pm »
They definitely overstayed their welcome.

It was exciting in 2004, though (10 years ago!) ......

it was very exciting.. I was at the DAR show..the first one they played in DC on the reunion..

a friend had a front row center ticket and he let me "sit" in his seat for a few songs...I was in heaven looking up at Joey...

Its very weird that they never even tried to cut an album.... I've always heard it was Kim Deal who didn't want to do it....I've never understood why..

But then I read the Pixies oral biography and what I learned was that basically almost all of the stuff the Pixies did were songs that Black Francis wrote around 1986-87... even a lot of the stuff on Trompe le Monde... .much of it he'd woodshedded with Joey... but I guess where I'm going with this is that the band really just kept putting out those songs until they had nothing left..

K8teebug

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 01:16:00 pm »
I went to Coachella in 2004 specifically for them and also was at DAR.  They were both perfect.  IMO, Kim needs to be in the band.  The real one, not the fake one.

K8teebug

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 01:16:57 pm »
I'm cool with him still making music.  I like the Frank Black and the Catholics stuff, but I think if you're going to call it Pixies, it needs to have Kim Deal in the band.

atomic

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 01:54:40 pm »
The girl from Matt & Kim would be a good choice to be in the Pixies.  Liven things up a bit.