Author Topic: Cassette Store Day?  (Read 20022 times)

Nigel Tufnel

Re: Cassette Store Day?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 09:05:14 am »
I occasionally go down to the basement to look for my old cassettes.  I haven't found them yet, but I've noticed that whenever I ask my wife if she's seen them, she changes the subject.  That's probably not a good sign.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 09:34:31 am »
I've also got SHTF

Where'd you find yours? I bought mine ar Kemp Mill in Rockville. Was the only copy I ever saw and my first Mats recording. Was once offered $50 for mine.

James Ford

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 09:43:24 am »
Old enough to vote but not old enough to drink.

if you've got any you want to give me, i'll take them. That's what my car plays.

i don't get the supposed fetish with cassettes.....does anybody know a single person who collects tapes???

Hers how old is your car?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 09:48:12 am »
You should let it go serve the country!  I'd make a mixtape for you, but as you are aware it will likely end badly...
T.Rex

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 09:55:13 am »
I've also got SHTF

Where'd you find yours? I bought mine ar Kemp Mill in Rockville. Was the only copy I ever saw and my first Mats recording. Was once offered $50 for mine.

I worked for Waxie Maxie's at the time but I don't remember if I bought it there or elsewhere.
😐 🎶

Relaxer

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 10:36:13 am »
I used to have ~600 Dead shows, comprised of more than a thousand cassettes, which I painstakingly compiled in the 90s.

But a couple years ago my wife rightly pointed out that they were taking up way too much space and I rarely listened to them to so I pulled out my top 100 shows and then put in ad on Craigs List offering the rest for free to the first person who showed up. An hour later, a VW bus pulled up and Toked Out Teddy and a woman who introduced herself as "Teddy's old lady" showed up and almost wept in appreciation as they hauled it all away.

So now I have around 200 cassettes in my music area and I occasionally will pull one out. But if I want to hear, say, a 5/2/70 or 5/8/77 or 2/28/69, I'll just pull up the mp3 file most likely.
oword

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 11:00:01 am »
you dont seem like the person who has ever liked the dead, especially enough to have that many tapes.  and your tone toward toked out teddy and his traveling terrific treat trader, makes me even more suspicious.

Yada

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 11:02:18 am »
you dont seem like the person who has ever liked the dead, especially enough to have that many tapes.  and your tone toward toked out teddy and his traveling terrific treat trader, makes me even more suspicious.

closet jam fans walky, closet jam fans.

Relaxer

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 11:09:53 am »
I can assure you that it's completely true. I realize it's not so in-line with my current RAWK tendencies, but I was a major deadhead, a veteran of 62 shows (as in Jerry shows, none of this Further or Phil & Phriends stuff), and I still will put on Boston Garden 5/7/77 (personally, I think Barton Hall 5/8/77 is overrated) or that incredible Harpur College 5/2/70 or maybe even a playful June 1985 or something from the Spring 1990 tour. I loved the Dead so much and still do. I will geek out on Dead talk any time and have very concrete theories on:
Donna: Bummer or Bonus? (I love Donna shows)

Space: Never warranted the amount of time devoted to those sets. To be sure, I was blown away at times by the space sets, but too often it was the time to get a beer/piss/pass out

Pigpen vs Keith vs Brent vs Vince: Keith was the best piano player, Brent had the best voice, Pigpen had the best presence/vibe

Jerry's playing pre- and post-stroke: Post-stroke, Jerry got super lazy and too many of his solos were either arhythmic soloing or he just played glorified scales

Merits of the Wall of Sound: I don't particularly love any of the 73 or 74 shows and the sound quality on most of the tapes tends to be prety blown out because of that speaker system. And those 'Ned & Phil' sets in 74 were god-awful

And I wasn't disparaging Toked Out Teddy at all. It was just such a funny sight to see a genuine 60s throwback and the bliss he was having out of getting all these "new" tunes.
oword

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 11:14:18 am »
ok, you are now believed

donna  =  awful

pigpen

space  =  not awful

barton hall, so tired of hearing about that show

wall of sound . . . owlsey was good for one thing

Relaxer

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 11:19:05 am »
I used to really dislike Donna, and I don't really care for her solo singing spots like Sunrise (though 'You Aint Woman Enough' kicks ass) but I really grew to love her caterwauling in stuff like Playin and Music Never Stopped and Samson. Somehow it just fit in with the ramshackle nature of those mid-70s shows. And Keith's piano playing was so jazzy. Brent's keys were so 80s synthy that I could never love them, but he had the most soulful voice.

Pigpen also had a great voice and his singing on Good Lovin, This is a Man's World, Lovelight, etc. was great but his light flashed too bright and brief and then he was gone. Its a shame there's so few good 66 and 67 shows. Anyway, like I said, I can geek out on the Dead for hours and often do.
oword

hutch

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 11:21:26 am »
I was thinking last night... about the Dead as I dug out my Jerry LPs and admired them....just this weekend I bought the Steal your face double lp for $3 (yes I realize people think its shit), Robert Hunter's rum runners for $3 and wake of the flood for $1 (two of my copies got beat in a flood two years ago.. talk about fitting)..

anyways I want to say I prefer Pig Pen but the truth is I prefer Keith... there I said it..except for singing wise.. singing wise Pig Pen was the best..

can't stand Donna though...

in fact I'm listening to Jerry's Compliments on this morning...

the Dead is one of those acts that I can put down for years and go back to and really get into...and its such a broad world

atomicfront

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 11:25:03 am »
I occasionally go down to the basement to look for my old cassettes.  I haven't found them yet, but I've noticed that whenever I ask my wife if she's seen them, she changes the subject.  That's probably not a good sign.

When my basement flooded all my old cassettes got ruined.  I talked them into giving me 20 bucks a cassette as I was going to replace them with Vinyl and my insurance had replacement coverage.  So I got 2400 dollars for 120 cassettes.  So who says cassettes don't have value?

hutch

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 11:29:01 am »

When my basement flooded all my old cassettes got ruined.  I talked them into giving me 20 bucks a cassette as I was going to replace them with Vinyl and my insurance had replacement coverage.  So I got 2400 dollars for 120 cassettes.  So who says cassettes don't have value?

yeah yeah we heard this story... made me feel great about donating mine...

Yada

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 11:45:34 am »

yeah yeah we heard this story... made me feel great about donating mine...