Author Topic: DC United Stadium in SW  (Read 5886 times)

imbecile

Re: DC United Stadium in SW
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:37:17 am »
http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2013/07/26/2361051/dcs-new-soccer-stadium-might-look-like-a-good-deal-but-it-isnt/

Bah, it's only been a few days and I'm already sick of these articles where the writer has about a 4th graders grasp of the situation.

First, the $100m Reeves center isn't being given away, it's being traded to Akridge for property, plus cash which makes up the difference in value.  Which will then put the highly valuable property (14th and U) on which the Reeves center sits back on the citys tax books.

Furthermore, does anyone know of anyone else aching to develop in Buzzard Point and complete the Riverfront develop that goes from Navy Yard to the Fish Market.  No?  didn't think so.  I've been to Buzzard Point, it's a dump and a half and is in need of development.  Yeah, the city spends some money to make this happen, but it needs done and if the team wants to help make it happen, let them.

Finally, everyone yammers on in these articles about the city having more pressing needs for the $150 million that they're about to spend.  They had an $80m surplus the year before last; $80m they couldn't think of one good thing to spend it on.  You want more failed social programs?  More programs to drive the good schools forward and the weak schools further into the shitter?  Job growth in Ward 7 or 8; well, this is atually doing this because the Reeves center is being moved to Ward 8 and all the boosts to the area that it will provide.

All of these articles boil down to nothing more than "I'm still crying over Nationals Park and I don't understand and/or care about soccer, so I'm gonna make up a bunch of uneducated shit and crap all over this idea."

K8teebug

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 08:46:32 am »
I think it's a great idea.

hutch

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:06:36 am »
I also think this is a great idea...having it in SW in particular....glad United is staying in DC

I don't know about these studies about stadiums.. yes the Nats where expensive but do people really want to say it wasn't worth it to DC to get the Nats? I think they've had a big and very positive impact on the city...

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:48:20 am »
do people really want to say it wasn't worth it to DC to get the Nats? I think they've had a big and very positive impact on the city...

Please cite explicit examples of how the Nats have had a "big and very positive impact" on the city, especially to the tune of a $700 million taxpayer funded stadium. I like the Nats, but saying they were worth spending $700 million on is a reach.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:15:55 am »
Explicit example:  I like living 2 miles from Nationals Park and taking my kids on a whim after nap-time.
(o|o)

K8teebug

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 01:33:41 pm »
do people really want to say it wasn't worth it to DC to get the Nats? I think they've had a big and very positive impact on the city...

Please cite explicit examples of how the Nats have had a "big and very positive impact" on the city, especially to the tune of a $700 million taxpayer funded stadium. I like the Nats, but saying they were worth spending $700 million on is a reach.

And how many people has that stadium brought into the city?  It's also great for the O's/Nats fans.  Going to RFK was depressing.

hutch

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 01:40:50 pm »

why would I? I don't care what you think and you are annoying and rude!

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 01:56:49 pm »

Thousands of people going into Anacostia almost on a nightly basis from spring to fall...? You can tune into MASN tomorrow and see the people. On TV. Live.

Stoked for the new United stadium!!! RFK is seriously a big piece of shit.
‼‼?‼‼

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 02:53:35 pm »
Thousands of people going into Anacostia almost on a nightly basis from spring to fall...?

huh?

http://goo.gl/maps/4HbX8
(o|o)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 03:22:37 pm »
Thousands of people going into Anacostia almost on a nightly basis from spring to fall...?

huh?

http://goo.gl/maps/4HbX8
............................................Did.....Did you know what I meant? I'm sorry, The Anacostia Water Front, close to the Navy Yard. Half Street and such. Close to, if not totally around, Nationals Park. The Washington Nationals are DC's baseball team. That's.......the point I was trying to make. Sorry for any confusion!!!  :'(
‼‼?‼‼

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 04:23:41 pm »
totally off topic, but not really . . . if i ever wanted to go to the national stadium, you know, to see hagar or something, how difficult is it really to get there.  what is the best way?

and i posted that article, because i could not find any good articles dealing with any issues of "clearing out the old" parts of dc to make way for the new parts of dc.  i am not familiar with the part of dc this soccer thing is going into, so i never know what i am talking about when i attempt to talk about it.  isnt that right, sweetcell.

killsaly

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 04:30:04 pm »
Navy Yard Metro is a pretty easy way to get there.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 04:31:48 pm »
is it right there, or do you have to walk?  uhh . . . walking.