Author Topic: the lube  (Read 3283 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
the lube
« on: July 31, 2013, 02:53:26 pm »
Sorry to spam up the board as I know this has been discussed before but the search function is practically useless.  I'm considering trying to go see sabbath on friday night if secondary market tickets go low enough.  Show is at 7:30 and Andrew WK is opening.  I don't really care to see him (did I hear somewhere it's just a dj set or something?).

Anyway, coming from Falls Church, how early should i leave?  If I leave at 6:30 or so so I even have a chance of getting there on time?  Suggested routes or do they all equally suck?

It's for the kids man...If I go I'll be taking my little man.

Yada

Re: the lube
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 03:20:18 pm »
I'd leave around noon... seriously.

atomicfront

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 03:40:36 pm »
Why does everyone like Black Sabbath and dislike Andrew WK?  SHouldn't it be the opposite.  I am confused.

K8teebug

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 03:59:48 pm »
Every time I go there, I leave Columbia around 1:30/2pm.  It's insane if you go later...Can't wait to drive there on a Tuesday in September!

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 04:01:24 pm »
eh...think I'll sit this one out.

wml7

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 04:02:11 pm »
Do not leave at 6:30, leave as early as possible I would say at least 3.  Maybe I'm being cautious, but you already know the horror stories with traffic.

hutch

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 04:15:50 pm »
forgive them chaz they do not know what they speak of

leave at 630 from falls church..i would say maybe even at 7.. take 29 up to nutley , right on nutley to 66 west

you should be completely fine... you could probably leave at 7:30 and be fine..

factors in your favor: friday traffic, people on vacay

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 04:21:16 pm »
Andrew WK kicks ass. If he's doing his "party" set, then it's him playing piano and singing with a band recording and a back up singer [who dances hilariously]. I paid like... 15 bucks to see that "set" or "show" about a month ago and wasn't disappointed. The dudes energy is through the God damn roof. The first thing he did was acknowledge that he was obviously not doing a live show, but he was performing at a party. So, I wasn't mad.

He'll probably be far more entertaining playing along to a recording of a band than Ozzy Osbourne schlepping his 900 year old to moan horribly into a microphone.
‼‼?‼‼

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 05:51:29 pm »
ok ok . . . ill give the ole wk a chance to entertain.  that description you gave, does intrigue.

and i must admit it makes me sad, when listening to others tell tales of their trips, to think on the fact that my travels to the jiffy popped peanut butter lube, are so relaxed and easy with nothing but empty yellow and white line spaces plus lonely trees to watch go by.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 07:32:48 pm »
Yeah, I want to see depeche mode but no way am I dealing with that traffic on Tuesday and taking off work.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 11:19:26 pm »

friday traffic is a plus?!?  are we living in the same region?  friday evening traffic is a nightmare.  it is far worse than any other day of the week.  i assume it's because of all the people headed out of town for the weekend... whatever it is, it's horrible around here.  when i worked in tysons, on fridays we had the "3 PM decision" - leave now, or have your ride home take twice as long.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 11:45:49 pm »

friday traffic is a plus?!?  are we living in the same region?  friday evening traffic is a nightmare.  it is far worse than any other day of the week.  i assume it's because of all the people headed out of town for the weekend... whatever it is, it's horrible around here.  when i worked in tysons, on fridays we had the "3 PM decision" - leave now, or have your ride home take twice as long.

yes its WAY worse at 3 or 4 or 5 but by 6 and 7 its way better because a lot of peope leave work early on friday...combine it with lighter traffic flows in general due to people being on vacation and going to the lube from falls church at 7 should not be that bad.. if you avoid 66 until Nutley or so you will have avoided the worst of it.

bottom line is black sabbath probably goes on 8:45 or 9... if you don't care about missing the opener and leave late i really don't think there will be much issue.

K8teebug

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 08:46:21 am »
Yeah, I want to see depeche mode but no way am I dealing with that traffic on Tuesday and taking off work.

I skipped it last time and regretted it.

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 11:17:08 pm »
Andrew WK kicks ass. If he's doing his "party" set, then it's him playing piano and singing with a band recording and a back up singer [who dances hilariously].

For the 4,000th time: AWK is doing a DJ set before Black Sabbath.  He is not performing his own material.  He will not have a band.  From his own web site:
the King of Partying will perform a special DJ set every night before the definitive heavy metal band takes the stage. Andrew promises to spin a rabble-rousing selection of classic riffs, heavy jams, and crowd pleasing favorites spanning every era of hard rock and metal.
link: http://andrewwk.com/news/andrew-tours-with-black-sabbath