Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 457603 times)

Yada

Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #375 on: April 03, 2014, 04:18:16 pm »
Anyone have any college park recommendations for lunch?

In no particular order:

Sardi's in Beltsville, rotisserie chicken
Fishnet, fresh fish yum
The Original Ledo's, CP institution
Simply Ovo, unique asian vegan
Plato's Diner, CP institution, if you're into that kind of thing
Tara Thai, Hyattsville, local chain thai
Busboys and Poets, Hyattsville
Franklins, Hyattsville, better beer than decent pub food
Jewel of India, Hillandale
Tiffin, Indian, Langley Park
Julia's Empanadas, Langley Park

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I don't venture to CP all too often, but can vouch for Tiffin. Killer indian, maybe the best in DC.

hutch

« Reply #376 on: April 03, 2014, 07:36:30 pm »
a great denny's by the patriot center

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #377 on: April 03, 2014, 07:46:49 pm »
actually its nowhere near the patriot but that's ok.  the service is top notch after midnight.  try, the breakfast burrito.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #378 on: April 03, 2014, 09:42:34 pm »
Anyone have any college park recommendations for lunch?

Don't forget Marathon Deli. Arguably one of the best gyros you'll find in the Washington area. Their fries are highly addictive, too.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #379 on: April 03, 2014, 10:16:38 pm »
The new Dennys in CP will be open soon.

I like College Park Diner better than Plato's. Cheaper and way more authentic.
😐 🎶

K8teebug

« Reply #380 on: April 04, 2014, 01:11:06 pm »
Awesome!  Thanks!  Have been to busboys, but haven't really ventured out much yet.  Started working here in Feb!

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #381 on: April 10, 2014, 10:26:02 am »
Awesome!  Thanks!  Have been to busboys, but haven't really ventured out much yet.  Started working here in Feb!

BonChon!

http://www.hyattsvillewire.com/2014/04/09/bonchon-coming-to-university-town-center/

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #382 on: April 22, 2014, 11:10:17 am »
I love it that Chipotle rounds down your check to the nearest 5-cent increment so they don't have to deal with pennies.  I'm sure they get some smartass who wants to pay with all pennies every once in a while, but their cashiers never have to give out pennies as change.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #383 on: April 22, 2014, 11:20:21 am »
if only they would 'round down' their publicly produced lies.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/09/chipotle-commercial-sustainable-food-truth

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #384 on: April 22, 2014, 01:36:06 pm »
That article is ridiculous.  Chipotle has done more to elevate the concept of fast food than any other company in 60 years.  Wouldn't you be better off eating at Chipotle every day than rotating between McDonalds, Taco Bell, KFC, Wendy's and Arby's?  Let's take it point by point.

1. Does Chipotle support genetically modified organisms (GMOs)?
Scare tactic.  There's no science that indicates GMOs are dangerous.  None.  People don't understand what GMOs are and buy into new age BS claiming they're going to turn into aliens if they eat it.  Guess what.  You're already eating GMOs, it doesn't do anything bad and there's nothing you can do about it.

2. Do Chipotle pigs, chickens, and cows frolic in big grassy fields?
No.  Neither does anybody else's meat pets, unless you grow your own or buy from Polyface.  Did anybody think that their cartoon was a documentary?

3. Are most Chipotle ingredients locally sourced?
Nope.  you wouldn't want to eat a burrito in January in Minnesota made from locally sourced ingredients.  Its a national chain.

4. Does Chipotle ever use animals that are given antibiotics ?
Yep.  You also wouldn't want to eat meat that wasn't treated with antibiotics.  You might be OK for a while, but if we completely eliminated antibiotics from the meat industry, we'd have, well, a diseased meat industry.  And people would get sick.  Lots of people.  Then there would only be the memory of meat.  Then people would wish we would add antibiotics back to meat.  But it would be too late.

5. Is most Chipotle food organic?
Probly not.  Also, doesn't matter.  Most people don't know what organic means, and even the ones who do, don't actually eat organic food all the time.  If they think they're getting organic fast food, they're wrong.  They should grow their own organic food.  Bonus fact:  it would be locally sourced.  Downside:  They'd get sick of organic ramps really really quickly.

Yada

« Reply #385 on: April 22, 2014, 01:37:41 pm »
That article is ridiculous.  Chipotle has done more to elevate the concept of fast food than any other company in 60 years.  Wouldn't you be better off eating at Chipotle every day than rotating between McDonalds, Taco Bell, KFC, Wendy's and Arby's?  Let's take it point by point.

1. Does Chipotle support genetically modified organisms (GMOs)?
Scare tactic.  There's no science that indicates GMOs are dangerous.  None.  People don't understand what GMOs are and buy into new age BS claiming they're going to turn into aliens if they eat it.  Guess what.  You're already eating GMOs, it doesn't do anything bad and there's nothing you can do about it.

2. Do Chipotle pigs, chickens, and cows frolic in big grassy fields?
No.  Neither does anybody else's meat pets, unless you grow your own or buy from Polyface.  Did anybody think that their cartoon was a documentary?

3. Are most Chipotle ingredients locally sourced?
Nope.  you wouldn't want to eat a burrito in January in Minnesota made from locally sourced ingredients.  Its a national chain.

4. Does Chipotle ever use animals that are given antibiotics ?
Yep.  You also wouldn't want to eat meat that wasn't treated with antibiotics.  You might be OK for a while, but if we completely eliminated antibiotics from the meat industry, we'd have, well, a diseased meat industry.  And people would get sick.  Lots of people.  Then there would only be the memory of meat.  Then people would wish we would add antibiotics back to meat.  But it would be too late.

5. Is most Chipotle food organic?
Probly not.  Also, doesn't matter.  Most people don't know what organic means, and even the ones who do, don't actually eat organic food all the time.  If they think they're getting organic fast food, they're wrong.  They should grow their own organic food.  Bonus fact:  it would be locally sourced.  Downside:  They'd get sick of organic ramps really really quickly.

A+

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #386 on: April 22, 2014, 01:44:43 pm »
Chipotle is some of the highest fat, highest calorie fast food out there. Their veggie burrito is like 1000 calories. I don't do fast food aside from the occasional veggie sub, but someone eating the relatively healthiest options at the other fast good places you listed had to be much better off then someone eating chipotle daily.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #387 on: April 22, 2014, 01:47:21 pm »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:51:51 pm by grateful »

Yada

« Reply #388 on: April 22, 2014, 01:47:39 pm »
Chipotle is some of the highest fat, highest calorie fast food out there. Their veggie burrito is like 1000 calories. I don't do fast food aside from the occasional veggie sub, but someone eating the relatively healthiest options at the other fast good places you listed had to be much better off then someone eating chipotle daily.

The meal I get at chipotle has 530 calories.

If you don't load it up with unhealthy items like a fat ass, it's actually quite healthy.

ggw

« Reply #389 on: April 22, 2014, 01:49:06 pm »
GMO foods are not dangerous in and of themselves, but the primary purpose of the genetic modification is to make the crop pesticide resistant, which leads to steep increases in the use of pesticides.  Pesticides are linked to fun stuff like cancer.