Author Topic: RIP - Josh Burdette - thatguy  (Read 80215 times)

Relaxer

Re: RIP - Josh Burdette - thatguy
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2013, 01:01:18 pm »
It is very cool how rich his legacy is, as indicated by, among other articles and responses today, the very moving Washington Post obituary.  The folk-hero status is a true testament to the way he infused his responsibilities at the club and other I.M.P. venues with integrity and a distinct personal vision, not just his Schwarzenegger sized physical presence.

I thought the Post article in this morning's paper was kind of lousy. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it seemed like the overall tone was "Wow, can you believe this huge tattooed guy was actually smart?" It seemed pretty condescending in a lot of places.
oword

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2013, 01:50:22 pm »
What a shock to everyone's collective Labor Day. I read the post on 930's facebook feed and didn't understand it at first and thought he was resigning or moving on to another job opportunity, and then with a second read through understood what had happened and it was just so jarring to the system. There are certain people you just associate with certain places, as so many people have said already, and it will definitely be weird the next time I go to 930 or Merriweather and not see him there.

Josh certainly meant a lot to a great many people and 36 is soberingly young for anyone to pass. My best wishes to his family, friends, and the entire 930 community. In the words of the Dismemberment Plan, "Respect is Due."

-Julian
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:01:48 pm by Julian, Respect Paying Aficionado »
LVMH

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2013, 01:52:32 pm »
Gutted...absolutely gutted.

Josh would always have a nod or a smile as I walked in. I took my then 14 year old daughter to a ska show at the 930 and on the way in he gave me the Josh 'nod' as if to say. "I got this" to keep an eye on her for me. Gave me peace of mind knowing he was there.

I suppose Josh was an aquaintance of mine but I really feel like I've lost a friend.

Does anyone know what happened?

Venerable Bede

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2013, 01:57:21 pm »
it's hard to imagine some places without certain people; the memories of those people, places and times are certainly etched in mine, and all of our minds; not seeing Josh doing his thing next time I am in town and go to 930 will not be the same.

i also am sorry that I was only able to join in playing video games with him once; thanks vansmack for letting me sit in.
OU812

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2013, 02:02:48 pm »

http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/arts-events/nobody-gets-past-me/

Yooooooo, that dude was a staple there. Damn that sucks, I never knew that guy like that but I always saw him there when I've gone to shows there. Rest in peace.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2013, 02:13:22 pm »
It is very cool how rich his legacy is, as indicated by, among other articles and responses today, the very moving Washington Post obituary.  The folk-hero status is a true testament to the way he infused his responsibilities at the club and other I.M.P. venues with integrity and a distinct personal vision, not just his Schwarzenegger sized physical presence.

I thought the Post article in this morning's paper was kind of lousy. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it seemed like the overall tone was "Wow, can you believe this huge tattooed guy was actually smart?" It seemed pretty condescending in a lot of places.

I thought it was a nicely done article, and a touching one.  I think the idea was more "This big, burly, intimidating-looking guy was -- contrary to what you might think from his appearance -- a kind and gentle soul," not "He was actually smart."  (Maybe the reason there was so much emphasis on Josh's University of Maryland background was that the article drew heavily from a profile in the Diamondback, the University of Maryland's student newspaper.)

I was stunned to hear the news yesterday morning.  Josh was a fixture at the 9:30 Club during the whole 15 years I've spent been in the D.C. area.  I found him rather scary-looking, and it wasn't until I started working at the 9:30 Club as an occasional DJ that I discovered he was actually a very nice guy (and a consummate professional too).

I knew Josh only a little bit, but this is a terrible loss.  My condolences to his friends, his family, and the 9:30 Club folks who worked with him far more closely than I did.

slappy

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2013, 02:18:50 pm »

I thought it was a nicely done article, and a touching one.  I think the idea was more "This big, burly, intimidating-looking guy was -- contrary to what you might think from his appearance -- a kind and gentle soul," not "He was actually smart."  (Maybe the reason there was so much emphasis on Josh's University of Maryland background was that the article drew heavily from a profile in the Diamondback, the University of Maryland's student newspaper.)

I was stunned to hear the news yesterday morning.  Josh was a fixture at the 9:30 Club during the whole 15 years I've spent been in the D.C. area.  I found him rather scary-looking, and it wasn't until I started working at the 9:30 Club as an occasional DJ that I discovered he was actually a very nice guy (and a consummate professional too).

I knew Josh only a little bit, but this is a terrible loss.  My condolences to his friends, his family, and the 9:30 Club folks who worked with him far more closely than I did.

Post writer Clinton Yates also said it well it his daily email.

"The first time I ever saw Josh Burdette, I was in high school. I can remember thinking that this one of the first security guys I'd ever encountered that actually made me feel safe, rather than like a criminal."

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2013, 02:24:57 pm »
all sorts of old-time boardees coming out of the woodwork to pay their respects... nice!
<sig>

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2013, 02:33:57 pm »
Very sad news. I didn't know him, but felt like I did through his posts on here, his Facebook page, the many articles about him, and seeing him at so many shows over the years. He recently posted about Frank Turner being a buddy of his, and recommended that music - which turned me onto a new artist (for me) who I really enjoy. I remember telling my daughters when they started to go to shows on their own that the big guy was there to help, that his name was Josh, and to look for him if there was a crisis.

Yada

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2013, 02:47:14 pm »
Very sad news. I didn't know him, but felt like I did through his posts on here, his Facebook page, the many articles about him, and seeing him at so many shows over the years. He recently posted about Frank Turner being a buddy of his, and recommended that music - which turned me onto a new artist (for me) who I really enjoy. I remember telling my daughters when they started to go to shows on their own that the big guy was there to help, that his name was Josh, and to look for him if there was a crisis.

I agree... it's a strange feeling. Other than small talk over the past decade, a few hellos, and his posts on here/FB... I didn't know him at all, but it still hurts.

If the rumors are true, it's even harder to swallow. My family has been rocked by a few people taking their own lives in recent years and it's crushing. As someone who was obviously LOVED by everyone, you have to be in a deep dark place to take your own life. It's too bad he didn't reach out to one of the many many loved ones he had.  RIP.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2013, 02:56:46 pm »

vansmack

« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2013, 03:07:17 pm »
i also am sorry that I was only able to join in playing video games with him once; thanks vansmack for letting me sit in.

One of my many regrets that overtook me yesterday.  We didn't do that enough.  My divorce got in the way and I withdrew from that outlet.  Josh sent me a nice email about it all and said that he'd be there for me whenever I wanted to play again.

27>34

sonickteam

« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2013, 03:34:00 pm »
Well it's had a little over 24 hours to sink in, as I was at lunch yesterday  in Philly browsing my Facebook through the usual garbage.  It made no sense, it wasn't fair and it's quite upsetting.

I have now lost 3 friends in the last 12 months, none of whom were over the age of 45.  And I cannot quite figure out how or why.

I knew Josh from HFStivals back in the 1990's and then from attending 930 shows, and then moreso from working with him at Merriweather. While I never hung out with him outside of a concert/work environment, I probably had a good 10-20 minute conversation with him each and every time I saw him. Always interested in what I had to say, always had something interesting and intelligent to discuss. His intelligence didn't impress me because of his outward appearance, it impressed me as it would have if he'd had no tattoos/piercings and a suit and tie.  He was truly that full of wisdom.

Working with Josh at Merriweather was a delight. He not only made the patrons feel safe, but other staff. I am no large man, but I knew if I had a problem, Josh was able to reconcile....almost always without being physical and never being physical first. Every time he'd walk up, the patron would expect to get his butt kicked, only to find himself in a calm rational conversation!  My best memory of this was at a Phish show and I had this clown who would NOT get out of the aisle, I tried and tried, and he told me "the party always wins".  Pushed me, spilled his beer on me and called me names. I saw Josh and flagged him over.  Josh walked up, said a few words to this guy and back in his seat he went. I asked Josh what he said and his reply "I told him he needed to please go back to his seat."

From teaching me how to catch crowd surfers, to endlessly bantering about hockey and punk music, I always looked forward to our conversations. And when they were over, I knew he would move on to brighten someone else's evening.

I remember a time when he came to my work for a show and it actually gave me a sense of pride to be doing security at a show HE was at!

I am sure that while Josh's social circle was comprised of many more acquaintances than true friends (like the rest of us), I know he had more than a few dear dear friends who are devastated by all of this and my deepest sympathies go out to them, as well as his family, and those who got to see him on a daily basis. 

It's hard to find a silver lining to this one. But to know we are all better for knowing him, and we can all continue to try to be more like him.

stevewizzle

« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2013, 04:19:13 pm »
man, every time i open up the 930 app on my phone, i get pumped to see that picture of josh, and know instantly what type of place 930 is.

first memory was my first show in 2006, when i drove 4.5 hours in college just to see a sold out show, and i remember how chill security was at a pretty rowdy show. we had a blast, and we drove back from DC to blacksburg that night totally stoked.

« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2013, 04:57:44 pm »
So sorry for your loss. I've attended many shows over the years but only briefly talked to him once. He was very pleasent and helpful.
xoxo