Author Topic: RIP - Josh Burdette - thatguy  (Read 80263 times)

TheREALHunter

Re: RIP - Josh Burdette - thatguy
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2013, 05:21:02 pm »
Working with Josh at Merriweather was a delight. He not only made the patrons feel safe, but other staff. I am no large man, but I knew if I had a problem, Josh was able to reconcile....almost always without being physical and never being physical first. Every time he'd walk up, the patron would expect to get his butt kicked, only to find himself in a calm rational conversation!  My best memory of this was at a Phish show and I had this clown who would NOT get out of the aisle, I tried and tried, and he told me "the party always wins".  Pushed me, spilled his beer on me and called me names. I saw Josh and flagged him over.  Josh walked up, said a few words to this guy and back in his seat he went. I asked Josh what he said and his reply "I told him he needed to please go back to his seat."

That is seriously fucking awesome.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2013, 05:39:46 pm »
This is truly sad. A day later and I still cannot fathom that on my trip to DC and more than likely the 9:30 Club Josh wont be around. I met him a few times and he was always super cool and friendly. I had a problem with staff once that I got nearly kicked out for taking video (dont even remember the circumstance), but Josh worked it out for me (total miscommunication!).

While I hadnt been to the club regularly in years, I always looked forward to seeing him at MPP or wherever I might catch him. I got to email him a bit when I found his awesome cartoon pic in the New Yorker and set him a bunch of copies. He was so happy and even told me he'd pay me back. I thought that was beyond nice and so not necessary. Secretly, I was super happy that I knew him and could tell all the partners at the firm why I needed their magazines and what I was doing with them. :)

My condolences to his family, friends and 9:30 staff. It won't be the same without him there.
HeyLa

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2013, 06:22:31 pm »
I can't think of a singular Josh story to pass along,  as others have said I definitely fell in the mutual Head Nodding and quick conversations with him in passing category.  I always get a kick out of playing Josh and other staph favs when Djing.  Of late it was Frank Turner, Emily Barker and William Elliott Whitmore.  Also started many an evening with Social Distortion.

He occasionally asked me about a track played that evening, notably about the "Rudy Soho" cover by The Manic Hispanics re-titled "Rudy Cholo" and a Girl Talk track.  After playing it a private event, I was banned with threat of expulsion from ever playing Nelly Furtado again.  This was due to the two nights he spent as her bodyguard at the club.  One night he thanked me for the 60s soul set I had spun, because it reminded him of listening to the radio.

I will miss his passion for the bands/artists he supported for which he introduced me to several I'm still playing catch up on. The tales of his encounters with the "colorful" characters he posted via Facebook. 
T.Rex

Here's the thing

« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2013, 06:48:39 pm »
I have been so sad about this news all weekend, and want to share my little Josh story. I took my two kids, who were 3 and 5 at the time, to a taping of Pancake Mountain with Bright Eyes at Constitution Hall. We were early for the sound check and waiting around, when Josh walked in. My kids were not sure what to make of him, and were looking him over pretty good, when he came walking toward us. They both squeezed into me, until Josh stuck out his big hand and gently introduced himself to them. About once a year since them, they have seen a photo of Josh in the paper or while I have been online, and they always say, "There's Josh!". I took my oldest to his first show at the Club last year, and he was as happy about seeing Josh as he was thrilled to see the show.
RIP, Josh.

vansmack

« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2013, 07:47:36 pm »
I "met" Josh back in 1998 when I crowd surfed into his arms during Sick Boy at a Social D show.  I said to him "Boy am I glad you're here to catch me!" My what arms he had.  He said to me "Me too, but I'd rather not see you up here again.  Let's keep both feet on the floor from here on out."  He had such a good demeanor about him.

We didn't become friends until a few years later, but like most of you that I know through the board, I was only starting to become friends with him when I left for SF.  Josh always kept in touch though - sometimes needing legal advice, sometimes letting me know he was heading out west, or just letting me know that he's up for hanging out when I was coming back into town.  He came to my going away party, my east coast wedding gathering and was always up for chatting when I made it back to the club.

One 72 hour stretch in particular will always stick out for me though, and the Director and I were on the phone reminiscing about this yesterday. 

I made a triumphant return to DC in the fall of 2007 and was excited to see the old crew again.  After watching a United match with Brennser, I met up at Duffy's with GGW for pre-drinks before we were to go see Kings of Leon and BRMC.  The Director crashes the party at Duffy's and after sizing us up, decides he's going to join us for the show.  He spends about 20 minutes trying to scalp a ticket, then Josh calls him over and ends his misery sending him on his way to join us in the VIP section.  The rest of the details can be found in another thread, but me and the Director are six years into an endless party that started that night thanks to the generosity of Josh.   

Fast forward 48 hours and Halo 3 comes out.  A number of the club staff and a few boardies had been holding game night once a week, where we would all get together online no matter where we lived to play some Halo - and by this point we were all over the country. For a number of months it was Halo 2.  I had been invited to Microsoft's Halo 3 launch party and invited Josh but he turned me down as he didn't like the corporate stuff, but said that we could meet up afterwards to play.  He picked me up, we stopped at 7-11 for some caffeine and sugar and proceeded to play Halo 3 for a ridiculous number of hours at his place.  By around 4:30-5AM we had to call it a night (morning?), so I was going to call a cab.  Josh would have none of it and he drove me back into the city as the sun was coming up.  He was always going that extra mile for people.

We kept playing Halo a few times a month for a couple of years until I dropped out, as mentioned earlier.  Damn it, what I'd give for one more game night, one more show, one last email asking for help with his intellectual property.

And thank you all for sharing your stories - I'm known for being a-motional about stuff like this, but this one hurts more than just about anything I've faced in my life - they're all helping me cope.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2013, 08:50:14 pm »
Sound Engineer for the Bottom Of The HIll in San Fran, reflects on Josh

http://live-sound-engineer.tumblr.com/
T.Rex

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2013, 10:35:49 pm »
Sound Engineer for the Bottom Of The HIll in San Fran, reflects on Josh

http://live-sound-engineer.tumblr.com/

Very nice.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2013, 10:42:28 pm »
<sig>

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2013, 11:27:29 pm »
No big Josh stories here.  Mostly just dozens of 20-30 second conversations over the years.  A few exceptions...  When I decided to get my first tattoo, he was the guy I went to for advice.  He was happy to help and told me to come back if I had any other questions.   We hung out for about a half-hour at the Ryan Adams show at Strathmore last year.  He and my husband used to talk hockey quite a bit. 

I always got a knowing-nod from Josh when I saw him at the club.  I'm not sure if he remembered me from the few times I introduced myself as a boardie... or if he just recognized me as a semi-regular who came to the club a little too often...or if he just did that as a means of saying hello to everyone.   It doesn't really matter.  As cheesy as it sounds, that always made me feel welcome - and that meant a lot.

It's going to be really weird walking into the club next week, knowing he's not going to be there.  I'm not really looking forward to that moment.

betao

« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2013, 12:43:58 am »
I went to go see The Mission tonight. I was slightly nervous wondering how it would feel to go to the club and not see him there, and surely enough there was a much more somber tone around the venue. The opening band had a cheers at the end of their set for him. I imagine there will be more to come as he was as well respected by artists as he was to us.

I didn't know Josh all too well, but I spoke with him on many occasions about touring bands that we're coming to our venues (I work at The National in Richmond) and little things here and there. He came to The National several times - he never missed a Clutch show. He was always friendly and well respected by myself and my coworkers.

I choked up & teared up a bit when I saw the table at the show tonight. I left a card on the table addressed to "Seth & 9:30 Family".

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2013, 07:07:20 am »
I went to go see The Mission tonight. I was slightly nervous wondering how it would feel to go to the club and not see him there, and surely enough there was a much more somber tone around the venue. The opening band had a cheers at the end of their set for him. I imagine there will be more to come as he was as well respected by artists as he was to us.

I didn't know Josh all too well, but I spoke with him on many occasions about touring bands that we're coming to our venues (I work at The National in Richmond) and little things here and there. He came to The National several times - he never missed a Clutch show. He was always friendly and well respected by myself and my coworkers.

I choked up & teared up a bit when I saw the table at the show tonight. I left a card on the table addressed to "Seth & 9:30 Family".

I was in that opening band last night, and did the cheers. :)
3MTA3

bearman🐻

« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2013, 08:12:28 am »
I'm still too raw & stunned to process this & find myself crying at the oddest moments. I had a Words With Friends game going with Josh and I was waiting for his next move, so I can't resign & let him win. But all the while I sit there feeling like I'm the one who lost. But the last word he spelled was "woofed" so that makes me smile.

bearman🐻

« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2013, 08:13:32 am »
And I cannot even bring myself to listen to stuff like Social D or Frank Turner or I'll totally lose it.

hutch

« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2013, 09:04:24 am »
And I cannot even bring myself to listen to stuff like Social D or Frank Turner or I'll totally lose it.

I totally understand.... I wasn't friends with Josh or anything but its still hit me a bit hard.. I think Townes Van Zandt's Live at the Old Quarter fits my my mood..

Got Haggis?

« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2013, 10:54:43 am »

from the 930 facebook