Author Topic: Emmys  (Read 3590 times)

K8teebug

Emmys
« on: September 23, 2013, 09:08:56 am »
I do not understand how Modern Family beat Louie last night. 

Also how did Top of the Lake not win? 

bearman🐻

Re: Emmys
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:05:14 am »
Louie got robbed. It may not be the "best" show on TV, but it's my favorite.

James Ford

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:11:41 am »
I love Louie's standup act, but his show is pretty annoying and not funny. Modern Family was good for the first season or two, but now it's annoying as well. I miss the days of Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Three's Company, etc. They just don't do comedy like they used to.

Top of the Lake did not win because it was sleep-inducing and likely nobody other than a few critics actually watched it.

bearman🐻

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:06:47 am »
I love Louie's standup act, but his show is pretty annoying and not funny. Modern Family was good for the first season or two, but now it's annoying as well. I miss the days of Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Three's Company, etc. They just don't do comedy like they used to.

Top of the Lake did not win because it was sleep-inducing and likely nobody other than a few critics actually watched it.

I don't know why you think his show is annoying, but a lot of is not intended to be funny in a conventional sense. I think it deals with a lot of really uncomfortable topics. To me, it's attempting to shatter what TV is supposed to be. And if you're looking for 70's sitcom stuff, Louie definitely is not the show for you. It's a sophisticated, thoughtful, and extremely well-written program that is not supposed to be like anything else you watch. Louis CK's creative control ensures that he can put something on TV that represents who he is. Nobody can edit or tell him what to do. That's part of the beauty of that show. It's about as unfiltered as unfiltered can get.

James Ford

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 10:08:55 am »
I disagree.

I don't know why you think his show is annoying, but a lot of is not intended to be funny in a conventional sense. I think it deals with a lot of really uncomfortable topics. To me, it's attempting to shatter what TV is supposed to be. And if you're looking for 70's sitcom stuff, Louie definitely is not the show for you. It's a sophisticated, thoughtful, and extremely well-written program that is not supposed to be like anything else you watch. Louis CK's creative control ensures that he can put something on TV that represents who he is. Nobody can edit or tell him what to do. That's part of the beauty of that show. It's about as unfiltered as unfiltered can get.

bearman🐻

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 10:11:10 am »
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/louis-ck-complete-creative-control-second-season-louie-202500047.html

I disagree.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 10:12:03 am »
It's a sophisticated, thoughtful...
Uh, no.

I agree with the rest of that, but it's hardly sophisticated.
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 10:19:37 am »
I think that there are eloquent and poignant moments punctuated by some very dark, very raunchy humor but it shouldn't be lost on the viewer.  I think Louie is a terrific writer but I don't think he has commercial appeal, and there's a sophistication in how he tells his story which is what makes some people feel put off by his show because they cannot figure out what he's trying to say or do in simple terms. It's not just a sitcom or a drama or whatever. There's some real darkness that is off-putting and he takes risks. To a lot of folks, that equals inconsistency and failure. To me, it's exciting and innovative. The people that get him really get him. And many don't. Nothing wrong with that.

It's a sophisticated, thoughtful...
Uh, no.

I agree with the rest of that, but it's hardly sophisticated.

K8teebug

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 11:05:24 am »
Everything bearman said.

Seconded.

Yada

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 11:35:00 am »
Speaking of sophistication, when does Amazing Race and Top Chef start?

James Ford

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 11:43:37 am »
AR on Sunday, TC I don't know.

Speaking of sophistication, when does Amazing Race and Top Chef start?

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 11:56:48 am »
Speaking of sophistication: South Park...
LVMH

K8teebug

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 01:09:52 pm »
TC sometime in October.  They're doing a pre pre web thing right now.

I'm excited because it's NOLA this year, which is my favorite place for food in the US.

It's also one of two BS reality shows I watch.  But, I like it.

atomic

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 01:16:16 pm »

I have never heared of Louie or Modern Family but I do enjoy "The New Girl", "The Mindy Project", "The League", and "How I met your mother" in current comedy.  More so than "Threes Company" which was the same show every time.  Someone misunderstands what someone says ( most likely a double entendre). 

Relaxer

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 02:24:22 pm »
I miss the days of Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Three's Company, etc. They just don't do comedy like they used to.

These were some of the corniest, middle-of-the-road, most ham-handed shows. You're just experiencing nostalgia for your 20s or whatever.
oword