Author Topic: Concerts A-Comin' to UMD Comcast Center  (Read 1820 times)

rich_WDC

Concerts A-Comin' to UMD Comcast Center
« on: November 22, 2013, 10:16:22 am »
[this news is a few weeks old; not sure if it made it to the Forum]

The University of Maryland has concluded a one-year deal with venue management company Global Spectrum, with plans to host between seven to 10 entertainment events in the 17,950-capacity Comcast Center over the next year. According to Global Spectrum, the deal is a great step forward for the future of Comcast Center and for the athletic department?s wallet since the events could potentially bring in about $1.5 million in additional revenue.
Using the Comcast Center for concerts and other entertainment events was an initial recommendation made by President Loh?s Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics when it reviewed the athletic department?s $83 million debt in 2011.
Global Spectrum reports that at George Mason University in Virginia, the Patriot Center has been open for concerts and events for many years ? in fact, it was the first collegiate venue ever managed by a private firm. This fall and winter, the Patriot Center has already hosted Aziz Ansari and will host Passion Pit, The Avett Brothers and Robin Thicke, among others.
Global Spectrum intends to bring similar events to Comcast Center and is hopeful that the university can reach an agreement to provide discounts so students can attend concerts at reasonable prices. The company believes that the relative isolation of Comcast Center (as opposed to Byrd Stadium) and the limited scope of the events planned will minimise the impact of noise and traffic on the local community.

-from PanStadia mag

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Concerts A-Comin' to UMD Comcast Center
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 11:06:15 am »
interesting news.  as far as arenas go, Verizon is convenient for me (on the red line) but if Comcast can steal shows from that arena on Mars (AKA Patriot Center), all the better.

The company believes that the relative isolation of Comcast Center (as opposed to Byrd Stadium) and the limited scope of the events planned will minimise the impact of noise and traffic on the local community.

well that's a bunch of happy-talk.  Patriot Center is also "relatively isolated" and its events are "of limited scope", but traffic is still a sh*t-show in the area on concert nights.  not as bad as, say the Lube or even MPP, but i'm sure locals are still resentful.
<sig>

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 11:34:22 am »
Pretty good news for me.  Yes, the traffic will suck.  But I don't get the differentiation between Byrd and Comcast and their impact to the community, unless they're taling about dorms.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 11:56:14 am »
Added to my "watch list"!

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 11:59:39 am »
interesting news.  as far as arenas go, Verizon is convenient for me (on the red line) but if Comcast can steal shows from that arena on Mars (AKA Patriot Center), all the better.

The company believes that the relative isolation of Comcast Center (as opposed to Byrd Stadium) and the limited scope of the events planned will minimise the impact of noise and traffic on the local community.

well that's a bunch of happy-talk.  Patriot Center is also "relatively isolated" and its events are "of limited scope", but traffic is still a sh*t-show in the area on concert nights.  not as bad as, say the Lube or even MPP, but i'm sure locals are still resentful.

you are crazy about patriot.  i went to school at mason.  you obviously, do not understand, the maze that is fairfax and how to ride it hard and slow, hard and slow.  what in the hell, did that just mean?

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 01:50:49 pm »
Huh, I thought I'd read somewhere that the support system for the Comcast Center roof wasn't strong enough to support the lights and speakers needed for concerts.  Now that I think about it, though, I'm not sure that makes any sense.

atomic

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 03:28:52 pm »

I have gone to MPP for 30 years and have never once had issues with traffic.  Where are you running into traffic?  You are obvioulsy taking the wrong route to the venue.