Author Topic: BIG BILLY JOEL NEWS!!!  (Read 9606 times)

HoyaSaxa03

BIG BILLY JOEL NEWS!!!
« on: December 04, 2013, 11:21:57 pm »
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-12-04/billy-joel-will-play-madison-square-garden-for-the-rest-of-his-life

Billy Joel Will Play Madison Square Garden for the Rest of His Life

By Claire Suddath December 04, 2013

Madison Square Garden is New York?s most famous arena, the site of the Ali-Frazier Fight of the Century, the venue for the annual Westminster Dog Show, and the place that the Knicks, the Rangers, and the Piano Man call home. That?s right, Billy Joel has turned the Garden into his own personal Vegas by promising to play one show every month starting in January 2014, going on and on until either he or his fans are exhausted.

The idea of an artist-in-residency program at a stadium as big as the Garden is a spectacular undertaking, but the 64-year-old Joel knows exactly what he?s getting into. He has already played 46 shows at the arena during his career. A banner even hangs from the rafters celebrating his record-setting run of a dozen concerts in a row in 2006: ?The longest run of a single artist,? as the banner boasts. Next to it hangs Elton John?s banner for playing the most MSG shows of any artist, although with this new residency Joel would surpass John?s 62-concert record in a little more than a year.

Still, the Garden is a huge venue. And with no new pop album since 1993, it?s easy to question Joel?s ability to draw such a large, self-replenishing crowd to a single location. Then again, his 2002 Broadway show Movin? Out enjoyed a successful three-year run, and he all but stole the show from Paul McCartney and the Who at the 12-12-12 Sandy Relief concert held, appropriately, at the Garden.

So who knows? Maybe he really can pull it off. All he needs to do is fill a facility with a concert capacity of 19,500. Assuming that many tickets are available for every Billy Joel performance, that works out to:

? 235,000: The total number of people who could theoretically see a once-a-month Billy Joel show at the Garden every year.
? 35.4 years: The time it would take for every resident of New York City to see him once.
? 1 hour, 7 minutes: The amount of time Joel will spend playing Piano Man at MSG every year.

Of course, that?s assuming he plays the hit song at every show. In an interview with Rolling Stone earlier this year, Joel mentioned that he wanted to start playing more obscure songs in concert. ?If I was going to play again in places like New York, I would probably feature entire albums. It would give me a chance to do songs we haven?t played,? he said. So if you want to see Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden, just make sure you don?t accidentally buy tickets to the show where he plays nothing but songs from his 2001 piano concerto album.

Suddath is a staff writer for Bloomberg Businessweek.
(o|o)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: BIG BILLY JOEL NEWS!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 04:02:08 pm »
prince could pull this off.  phish could pull this off.  pearl jam could pull this off.  but billy joel?  when was the last time he even released any new material? 

James Ford

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 04:16:46 pm »
I don't think you're familiar with the 99% of America who don't post on music forums.

prince could pull this off.  phish could pull this off.  pearl jam could pull this off.  but billy joel?  when was the last time he even released any new material? 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 04:20:25 pm »
i understand what you are saying . . . but i understand music too.  msg aint no vegas.  to pull this off at msg, you better be fucking huge and still fucking relevant beyond everyone else.  does billy joel really fall into such a category?  i can see elton john being able to do this.  billy joel is no icon like elton.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 04:21:49 pm »
Probably 90% of his fans are within 300 miles of NYC. One show a month spreads it out over the year; his fans can make long range plans to attend. He'll make a mint without having to do x shows a week in Vegas. And best of all for him, he doesn't have to live in Vegas.
😐 🎶

James Ford

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 04:24:26 pm »
Based on my experience with going to a state university in New York, every NY/Long Island Jew loves Billy Joel. And there's a lot of Jews in New York and Long Island.

eros

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 04:25:02 pm »
msg aint no vegas.

But NYC is.  I can think of a lot of people I know who would schedule a vacation to NYC just to do this.
ʎɐʍou

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 04:27:05 pm »
but billy joel?  when was the last time he even released any new material? 

Here, let me read the post DIRECTLY ABOVE THE ONE IN WHICH YOU POSIT THE QUESTION:

And with no new pop album since 1993, it?s easy to question Joel?s ability to draw such a large, self-replenishing crowd to a single location.
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 04:27:11 pm »
bizarro world.  i wonder what artist christians would get behind to make this happen?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 04:28:25 pm »
but billy joel?  when was the last time he even released any new material? 

Here, let me read the post DIRECTLY ABOVE THE ONE IN WHICH YOU POSIT THE QUESTION:

And with no new pop album since 1993, it?s easy to question Joel?s ability to draw such a large, self-replenishing crowd to a single location.

i saw that you dildo . . . i thought it meant "pop only."  i wasnt sure if he has released anyting at all lately.

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 04:29:26 pm »
i saw that you dildo . . . i thought it meant "pop only."  i wasnt sure if he has released anyting at all lately.
For some reason, I am of the belief he put out a neo-classical piano album around 2000, of which, he plays none in concert.
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 04:30:41 pm »
well neither would i . . . if i released some bullshit like that.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 04:31:37 pm »
bizarro world.  i wonder what artist christians would get behind to make this happen?

Prolly Celine Dion.  I'm guessing Celine Dion.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 04:33:10 pm »
oh hell yeah . . . those jesus lovers, worship them some celine.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 04:36:05 pm »
Funny you mention Christians, because my immediate thought was your fellow homosexuals would flock to LA or NYC once a month for Gaga, assuming she changed around the stageshow dramatically every month so it was like a one-time only Cirque de GaGay spectacular. If they did it in NYC, Elvis Duran could live host his radio show as the opener.
LVMH