Author Topic: Best Albums of 2013  (Read 18729 times)

Relaxer

Re: Best Albums of 2013
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 01:19:41 pm »
When you all create your lists, do you consider only choosing albums that you think you'll listen to in XXX amount of years from today?

I could possibly come up with a "best" list of 20 or so albums from this year, however, I bet only a handful of them I'll be listening to in 2022.

Ehh, that's kind of the way it always is if you consume a lot of music year after year. I keep a running MSWord document and when a particular record really stands out as something I'm listening to a lot, I put it on the list. Then when I saw this thread, I just pulled out the list, put them in order of how I feel about them and there you go.

One nice thing about having a document is that I now have 'Best Of' docs going back to 2005. For the most part, whatever I put at #1 and #2 are still records I love a lot, and usually those listed at #7 have faded from memory, though there are lots of exceptions.

I can guarantee that I will be listening to my #2 pick, Perfume's Level 3, for years because it's great exercise music. And I think I'll still love No Joy in 10 years because it's a great album and I like pretty much every track on it.
oword

hutch

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 01:24:52 pm »
When you all create your lists, do you consider only choosing albums that you think you'll listen to in XXX amount of years from today?

I could possibly come up with a "best" list of 20 or so albums from this year, however, I bet only a handful of them I'll be listening to in 2022.

Ehh, that's kind of the way it always is if you consume a lot of music year after year. I keep a running MSWord document and when a particular record really stands out as something I'm listening to a lot, I put it on the list. Then when I saw this thread, I just pulled out the list, put them in order of how I feel about them and there you go.

One nice thing about having a document is that I now have 'Best Of' docs going back to 2005. For the most part, whatever I put at #1 and #2 are still records I love a lot, and usually those listed at #7 have faded from memory, though there are lots of exceptions.

I can guarantee that I will be listening to my #2 pick, Perfume's Level 3, for years because it's great exercise music. And I think I'll still love No Joy in 10 years because it's a great album and I like pretty much every track on it.

Relaxer is the thinking man's music listener...

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 01:29:31 pm »
never heard of this mikal Cronin guy, but I bet he's a pitchfork favorite, based on him appearing on multiple lists posted here.

Or maybe he's awesome and you're missing out?

James Ford

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 01:30:01 pm »
I stopped listening to Janelle Monae about a month after she made my 2010 list.

James Ford

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 01:31:00 pm »
That could be true.
never heard of this mikal Cronin guy, but I bet he's a pitchfork favorite, based on him appearing on multiple lists posted here.

Or maybe he's awesome and you're missing out?

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 01:32:21 pm »
Death Grips' No Love Deep Web, Jessie Ware, and FIDLAR are 2012

I don't go back to check dates but did note where something was a known 2012 release.

Fidlar is January 2013 per Amazon. Close enough!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 01:37:41 pm »
The Dirtbombs - Ooey Gooey Chewy Ka-Blooey!

and a bunch of albums no one else cares about but me
T.Rex

brennser

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 01:40:15 pm »
jeez whats with all the 2012 v 2013 trainspotting  ::)

fwiw jessie ware, fidlar and the orwells stuff that made me like the orwells are all listed as 2013 by amazon which is well know as being the oracle of truth  ;)

and yes, spook of the 13th lock is a 2012 release not that anyone cares

atomic

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 01:47:49 pm »

How would you come up with a list of albums you would listen to in 2022? Seems pointless and frankly probably won't even be true.  I liked the the album "Bananaramma" when it came out in 1984 but I don't listen to it anymore and that doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the album at the time. 

atomic

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 01:49:22 pm »
Pretty sure Shovels and Rope and First Aid Kit are both 2012. Talk about two albums I like that I'm not allowed to play in the house.

I'll have my list at the end of the year. Jason Isbell, Bill Callahan, Josh Ritter, and Robbie Fulks will all likely be in my top 10.

Both the Shovels and Rope and First Aid Kit album are awesome.  I don't get the continual posting of how your wife wears the pants in your family.  I would hide that information from the public.

James Ford

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 01:55:58 pm »
It goes both ways. She knows not to play Tupac or the Beastie Boys when I'm around.

Pretty sure Shovels and Rope and First Aid Kit are both 2012. Talk about two albums I like that I'm not allowed to play in the house.

I'll have my list at the end of the year. Jason Isbell, Bill Callahan, Josh Ritter, and Robbie Fulks will all likely be in my top 10.

Both the Shovels and Rope and First Aid Kit album are awesome.  I don't get the continual posting of how your wife wears the pants in your family.  I would hide that information from the public.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 02:05:36 pm »
only on this board do arguments ensue about lists

Relaxer

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 02:23:00 pm »
You don't read too many music-related boards then, do you
oword

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 02:28:16 pm »
actually, you are correct sir.  to be honest, this is the only forum, period, i post on.  is that bad, or something?

Relaxer

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 02:33:35 pm »
actually, you are correct sir.  to be honest, this is the only forum, period, i post on.  is that bad, or something?

Not at all but you made a definitive statement about message boards that conflicts with virtually all of my experiences with message boards and I felt it was my duty to step up and point it out, which kind of makes me a hero.
oword