Author Topic: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion  (Read 612430 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 10:34:49 pm »
Girls was deleted from our DVR
intentionally or accidentally?
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 10:40:14 pm »
Girls was deleted from our DVR
intentionally or accidentally?

intentionally - season two was pretty much unbearable to watch and it the season finale was the nail in the coffin
T.Rex

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 09:22:51 am »
intentionally - season two was pretty much unbearable to watch and it the season finale was the nail in the coffin
The running through the streets shirtless while FaceTiming thing was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on a decent show, admittedly.

I didn't like Season 2 as much the first time through. I thought One Man's Trash was maybe the best 30 minute episode of TV I'd seen in years but the entire thing felt like a different show than season 1. It felt much more introspective into the characters psyche's than the first one and since I was expecting the first season redux, it was somewhat jarring to not get what you were expecting, you know?

Then someone bought me both seasons on bluray and I rewatched it over the holidays and as I'm going thru Season 1, I'm thinking, "Wait, this is more joke-y, it's nowhere near as deep as the later episodes," and I realized that after having seen both versions of the show and walking away from it for a while, I actually liked the second season much more. One thing both the AV Club and Grantland review of the season (both have seen the entire thing, apparently) commented on is the feeling they had that Season 3 is more "traditionally sitcom" or "smaller" than Season 2. Having only seen the first two eps, I think it was more of that joke-y, season 1 style episodes where they aren't trying to go as deep into characters motivations and instead are functioning at a ratio that's more for laughs. If you liked season 1 and hated season 2, I think you should at least try watching the double-episode premiere. As I said in my bullet-points, the Shoshanna/Ray storyline was hysterical. (I predict Zosia Mamet has the biggest career a decade from now and mostly doing comedic roles.)
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 10:00:14 am »
You re-watch entire television seasons of television series? Dude, you need to get some hobbies!

I predict these chicks won't even have careers ten years from now! That's Hollywood!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:01:58 am by James Ford »

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 10:15:47 am »
I rewatch the entire run of The O.C. and The Hills (up until LC leaves) EVERY YEAR.
LVMH

K8teebug

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 11:44:06 am »
As I will pay for 100% of my daughter's undergrad education.
Ditto again.  It's the best feeling knowing that my kids' college fund should be up to snuff when they ship out.

My parents paid for mine and I am so glad they did.  I really appreciated it and I haven't had to move back home or ask for money since I graduated.  That is my gift to them for all they did for me.

BUT, I really loved both episodes of Girls.  I love Shosh so much.  She is an awesome character.  And Yay for a naked woman on camera who looks like what women really look like.  We aren't all size 2 anorexic no boob stick figures.

atomic

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 12:09:01 pm »
The Archer episode last night was not very good.  Neither was How I met your mother. 

Am I the only one who likes the Mindy Project? 

James Ford

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 12:14:53 pm »
Has anyone watched Hit&Miss?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2014, 12:19:28 pm »
good lord . . . get a job, hippie.

stevewizzle

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2014, 12:32:11 pm »
A. Between UVA, William and Mary and Va Tech, we have three of the top 75 schools right here in VA. She will go to a state school...unless somehow a top notch private school is cheaper.

B. She will be strongly encouraged to major in something useful and practical.

one of those schools has plenty of useful and practical majors ;)

student loans will be a practical option, especially when you realize your child wants to live with their best friends off-campus and rent is $500 a month (financial curveball!), or they want to take five years instead of four (common, these days), or they want to do any of the other million dumb things college students do that cost a shit-ton of money.  

while i find it sincere that you and chaz want to pay 100%, my parents said the same thing too, and my friends parents, and all my peers in school. my experience is it rarely happens. it's nice that your parents did that for you, but college is stupid expensive now, even in-state. i started school 8 years ago, and in that eight years, tuition increased 9k from where i started. 9k! when you're staring down 100k worth of expenses, you'll come to your senses and say "okay, i guess 20k in student loans for my child is reasonable". and you can tell me i'm full of shit, because honestly who am i to judge someone else's goals or aspirations, but consider finding some practical middle ground between where you are now and atomic's "let the child pay it all" as that day approaches and you begin to realize the actual costs and what your financial options are. and if you do manage to pay 100%, good on you and i'll buy you a beer next time i see you.

James Ford

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2014, 12:39:10 pm »
I never understand when people make statements like this:

And Yay for a naked woman on camera who looks like what women really look like.

Does Lena Dunham really represent with women really look like? In real life, I see women of all different shapes and sizes. Not just women who look like Lena Dunham.

As I will pay for 100% of my daughter's undergrad education.
Ditto again.  It's the best feeling knowing that my kids' college fund should be up to snuff when they ship out.

My parents paid for mine and I am so glad they did.  I really appreciated it and I haven't had to move back home or ask for money since I graduated.  That is my gift to them for all they did for me.

BUT, I really loved both episodes of Girls.  I love Shosh so much.  She is an awesome character.  And Yay for a naked woman on camera who looks like what women really look like.  We aren't all size 2 anorexic no boob stick figures.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 12:41:51 pm »
You re-watch entire television seasons of television series? Dude, you need to get some hobbies!

I predict these chicks won't even have careers ten years from now! That's Hollywood!

I don't even have cable.  If I want to watch any of these shows I have to wait until they get released on DVD and buy it the first week when it's the best price.  Then I may watch some of the episodes once.  I never watch them again.  I don't understand that.  Why would you watch a show again?  Is there stuff you don't catch the first time?  Especially sitcoms.  Why would you want to watch "Big Bang" or "The Simpsons" or "Seinfeld" more than once? Some people have seen the same episodes dozens of times.  Don't you remember the lame jokes?  Do they get funnier the more you hear them?

And I know I'm in the minority here but you know how some people can't read?  I can't watch modern "renaissance" TV and think it's not tired, cliched and boring.  Believe me, I've tried them all.  The Sopranos.  Game of Thrones.   Breaking Bad.   The Wire.  They just are dull to me.  I don't see a difference between them and any other show.  It's all the same shit.

I mean, I love books and music.  Love them so much I can't describe it. The 'halfway' arts.  The stuff where the writer/musician provides part of it and the listener/reader provides the rest.   But honestly, modern TV and movies I don't even like.  I tolerate.  It's just the same stuff over and over.  Even something I like, like "True Detective" (I've seen the first episode), I like but I've seen it before.  It's not deep.  None of it is.

And Yay for a naked woman on camera who looks like what women really look like.  We aren't all size 2 anorexic no boob stick figures.

You aren't?  Damn it!  I'm going to have to get a new mental picture of what Katie looks like.

Brian

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2014, 12:45:25 pm »
I never understand when people make statements like this:

And Yay for a naked woman on camera who looks like what women really look like.

Does Lena Dunham really represent with women really look like? In real life, I see women of all different shapes and sizes. Not just women who look like Lena Dunham.

She wouldn't be so horrible to look at if she had more up top to balance out her enormous ass.  That's the saddest part about that show.

Brian

P.S.  And when she opens her mouth.  That's pretty bad, too.

James Ford

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 12:45:35 pm »
So I don't get that beer until my daughter is 22? ;)

We have two professionally working parents, chose to have only one kid, I drive a 20 year old car, we chose to buy a house in an un-hip not overly expensive suburb well outside of DC, we don't have nice "stuff" in our house, we started our 529 savings before our daughter was one, we put more than we need to into the account. Trust me, we still be able to afford to pay for everything.

A. Between UVA, William and Mary and Va Tech, we have three of the top 75 schools right here in VA. She will go to a state school...unless somehow a top notch private school is cheaper.

student loans will be a practical option, especially when you realize your child wants to live with their best friends off-campus and rent is $500 a month (financial curveball!), or they want to take five years instead of four (common, these days), or they want to do any of the other million dumb things college students do that cost a shit-ton of money.  

while i find it sincere that you and chaz want to pay 100%, my parents said the same thing too, and my friends parents, and all my peers in school. my experience is it rarely happens. it's nice that your parents did that for you, but college is stupid expensive now, even in-state. i started school 8 years ago, and in that eight years, tuition increased 9k from where i started. 9k! when you're staring down 100k worth of expenses, you'll come to your senses and say "okay, i guess 20k in student loans for my child is reasonable". and you can tell me i'm full of shit, because honestly who am i to judge someone else's goals or aspirations, but consider finding some practical middle ground between where you are now and atomic's "let the child pay it all" as that day approaches and you begin to realize the actual costs and what your financial options are. and if you do manage to pay 100%, good on you and i'll buy you a beer next time i see you.

hutch

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2014, 12:48:09 pm »
So I don't get that beer until my daughter is 22? ;)

We have two professionally working parents, chose to have only one kid, I drive a 20 year old car, we chose to buy a house in an un-hip not overly expensive suburb well outside of DC, we don't have nice "stuff" in our house, we started our 529 savings before our daughter was one, we put more than we need to into the account. Trust me, we still be able to afford to pay for everything.

fucking boring..next thread i open you'll be telling us about your nifty retirement plan.