Author Topic: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion  (Read 612739 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2014, 12:18:50 pm »
K8teebug, where did you hear about Twin Peaks on blu-ray? I can't find anything about it on Amazon.
LVMH

K8teebug

« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2014, 12:28:40 pm »
My guess is the fall/winter.  They were hinting it would come out in Australia in April.

I can't wait! 

atomic

« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2014, 12:39:55 pm »
The only show that you mentioned that doesn't suck is Girls.  I think we can have our own definitions of what Prestige televison.  I think most of the shows you list are just bad HBO shows.  Downton Abbey is a badly done Soap Opera.  None of the shows listed would I consider Artsy.

I do like Big Bang Theory. It is funny. Do you not have a sense of humour, Julian?
I didn't say I didn't like HIMYM or Big Bang Theory. They're excellent at accomplishing what they're trying to do.  I simply said they're not prestige television. Its not a term I made up, that's the accepted way its used by TV critics. Its not intended to mean "these are the best shows on TV," actually it started with a negative connotation that these shows had a certain "prestige" to watching them (e.g. that someone could brag and attempt to look intellectual by saying they watch Top Of The Lake, etc) among certain people who fancied themselves elitists.

Well I think we can manage with the prestige-tv and the non-prestige tv being discussed in the same thread. 

« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2014, 12:41:40 pm »
Well I think we can manage with the prestige-tv and the non-prestige tv being discussed in the same thread. 
IDK. Can you start a META thread about it and maybe we can discuss the merits of both scenarios? Maybe we'd benefit from a designated "Broad Comedies Thread."
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2014, 12:41:55 pm »
I watched the first episode of True Detective last night...I'm on board.

« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2014, 12:44:43 pm »
I watched the first episode of True Detective last night...I'm on board.
I haven't yet watched this week's episode but I'm still on the fence about this show. I think everyone else finds McConaughey's character much more interesting than I do. I feel like its Justified with less interesting characters, so far.

EDIT: Supposedly its going to be anthology style and each season will be a different cast and story.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:47:26 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2014, 12:47:35 pm »
IDK. Can you start a META thread about it and maybe we can discuss the merits of both scenarios? Maybe we'd benefit from a designated "Broad Comedies Thread."

Maybe we should have a thread about liking things that are more popular. It appears that for some reason people on this board have a problem liking things that are very popular no matter what the quality of the popular item. 

« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2014, 12:48:42 pm »
Maybe we should have a thread about liking things that are more popular. It appears that for some reason people on this board have a problem liking things that are very popular no matter what the quality of the popular item. 
I think this is an excellent topic for a thread!
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2014, 02:19:18 pm »
two things, one being that gay guys fuck more than rabbits at the local fluffy tail go go bar, and two, what the hell is going on here, when you have james ford, claiming to never saying he was straight, and nobody say a word regarding such a claim.  for shame board . . . for shame. 

shows i like, netfilx style, amercian horror story, american underworld, bridezillas, gypsy wedding,
csi anything, alias, medium, walking dead, star trek next generation, breaking bad, auction kings, paranormal witness.  i think ill start watching weeds next.   

atomic

« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2014, 02:23:09 pm »
what the hell is going on here, when you have james ford, claiming to never saying he was straight, and nobody say a word regarding such a claim.  for shame board . . . for shame. 

Well I don't want to sleep with him so it hardly matters to me.

« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2014, 02:30:40 pm »
and two, what the hell is going on here, when you have james ford, claiming to never saying he was straight, and nobody say a word regarding such a claim. 
He's talked about being a practicing bisexual in his early days, IIRC.

shows i like, netfilx style, amercian horror story, american underworld, bridezillas, gypsy wedding,
csi anything, alias, medium, walking dead, star trek next generation, breaking bad, auction kings, paranormal witness.  i think ill start watching weeds next.   
Weeds, like everything on Showtime, was a certain level of OK for a while and then lasted about 3-4 seasons too long.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2014, 02:31:50 pm »
Anyone catch Broad City? I watched Daily Show/Colbert/@midnight and Broad City came on at 12:30, re-run of [I'm assuming] the first episode/pilot. I thought it was pretty damn entertaining. I will definitely be catching it after Workaholics tonight.

Also, first episode of Workaholics to make me laugh in awhile. I think last year they were focused on making stupid hashtags catch on and, for me, a lot of the stuff missed. Last weeks episode was hilarious though. Haven't caught this weeks Archer, but I thought last weeks was an improvement over the premiere.

Anyone looking forward to House Of Cards season 2 in a couple weeks!?
‼‼?‼‼

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2014, 02:32:50 pm »
just added house of cards.  worth my precious time?

« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2014, 02:34:08 pm »
just added house of cards.  worth my precious time?
Yes, I thought it was really, really good. The second (and I think final) season drops on Valentine's Day.
LVMH