Author Topic: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion  (Read 612304 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion
« Reply #555 on: March 02, 2015, 12:17:32 pm »
House Of Cards has returned to being intriguing episode to episode. The episode where they renew their vows is just.... beautiful, honestly. I think I have 6 more episodes. Nothing too crazy. I'm fine with it.
I thought Season 3 was rather poorly directed and took a sizable step back in quality. The wedding episode was probably the highlight of the season.
I think it's just a change of scenery. There's less of the "city" they can use because he's the president or whatever. It's always in the white house or in their room or in air force one or whatever. It has been less visually appealing so far.
‼‼?‼‼

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #556 on: March 02, 2015, 12:23:50 pm »
I wasn't even talking about the cinematography so much as the general pacing and feel. There are two plot lines that completely dominate large chunks of the season with absolutely minimal payoff. IDK, I was really frustrated with the season. I'd go into further detail, but I don't think most people are done with it so I don't want to put spoilers out there.

(Although I totally could because I put SPOILER WARNING in the title of the thread.)
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #557 on: March 02, 2015, 12:34:15 pm »
I mean, you DO have spoiler in the title. I treat it as people tip toeing around to avoid said spoilers.

BUT I still have like 6 episodes or so to go.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #558 on: March 02, 2015, 12:57:51 pm »
I mean, you DO have spoiler in the title. I treat it as people tip toeing around to avoid said spoilers.

BUT I still have like 6 episodes or so to go.
Spoiler Warning is more meant as "anything that has aired is fair for discussion." If you are three weeks behind on Better Call Saul, we are not waiting for you to catch up for the rest of us to discuss it. Admittedly, shows that drop their entire season at once is a little different dynamic. Its fairplay for someone to discuss it 3 days after it comes out, I'm just personally not going to elect to do it.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #559 on: March 02, 2015, 01:01:24 pm »
Oh man... I AM 3 episodes behind on Better Call Saul. I have to leave.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #560 on: March 02, 2015, 10:24:55 pm »
being spoiled that you have not been spoiled by the spoiler thread.
...I don't think that qualifies as META?!
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #561 on: March 04, 2015, 04:55:56 pm »
Kosmette and I had some serious LOL moments during Last Man On Earth.  Him unpacking the bus was priceless...

And how messy is Fortitude getting
T.Rex

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #562 on: March 05, 2015, 11:27:04 pm »
Did anyone talk about rpdr? I have opinions about the new season, but I will save you the effort of having to hear it, unless someone actually wants to talk about it. Gurl.

« Reply #563 on: March 05, 2015, 11:37:33 pm »
Did anyone talk about rpdr? I have opinions about the new season, but I will save you the effort of having to hear it, unless someone actually wants to talk about it. Gurl.
Perhaps that would be better suited to "Walkie's latently homoerotic glitter and confetti explosion" thread not Prestige Television.

Perhaps.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:43:05 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #564 on: March 05, 2015, 11:54:31 pm »
I, never understood the prestige element, to this thread.  I just, assumed that if you are actually taking the time and effort to watch television now,adays . . . you were pretty prestige.

« Reply #565 on: March 05, 2015, 11:59:14 pm »
I, never understood the prestige element, to this thread.  I just, assumed that if you are actually taking the time and effort to watch television now,adays . . . you were pretty prestige.
I've explained this at least five times in this thread.

Google "prestige television". You're smart. You'll figure it out.

It's like starting a thread called "cool hip hop songs" and having a bunch of knuckleheads post Velvet Underground songs. It's not a knock on VU; they just aren't a hip-hop act.
LVMH

« Reply #566 on: March 06, 2015, 12:00:31 am »
Has anyone watched High Maintenance?
Really good stuff
found myself bawling out a big laugh many a time
slack

« Reply #567 on: March 06, 2015, 12:06:31 am »
I, never understood the prestige element, to this thread. 

Prestige television is a term used for highly stylized, "challenging" television shows, generally dramas, that only can reasonably hope to survive financially on pay-cable or an FX/AMC/Sundance style cable network. Examples of programs described in the press as prestige television would include Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Girls, Game Of Thrones, The Bridge, Top Of The Lake, Homeland, The Amerikans, Justified, Boardwalk Empire, etc.

Virtually no program on a broadcast network is considered prestige television as they're designed not to challenge a small, artsier audience but rather the broadest possible audience possible. HIMYM or Big Bang Theory would be considered literally the exact opposite of prestige television.

I didn't say I didn't like HIMYM or Big Bang Theory. They're excellent at accomplishing what they're trying to do.  I simply said they're not prestige television. Its not a term I made up, that's the accepted way its used by TV critics. Its not intended to mean "these are the best shows on TV;" actually it started with a negative connotation that these shows had a certain "prestige" to watching them (i.e. that someone could brag and attempt to look intellectual by saying they watch Top Of The Lake, etc) among certain people who fancied themselves elitists.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:08:27 am by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #568 on: March 06, 2015, 12:09:18 am »
Im, enjoying this whole, ask and you shall receive, action you have going on in here. Thanks. If, I watch one of those I'll make sure to tell you.

« Reply #569 on: March 06, 2015, 12:10:51 am »
Im, enjoying this whole, ask and you shall receive, action you have going on in here.

Again, perhaps that would be better suited to "Walkie's latently homoerotic glitter and confetti explosion" thread not Prestige Television.
LVMH