Author Topic: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion  (Read 611942 times)

K8teebug

Re: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion
« Reply #870 on: February 16, 2016, 10:37:12 am »
so did anyone watch vinyl?

getting some bad headlines from the usual suspects
but I've not seen it or read any of the reviews

I watched most of it. It is too heavy handed, but I actually like the music.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #871 on: February 16, 2016, 11:21:38 am »
Caught up on Better Call Saul over the weekend and caught the season premiere last night. Season premiere seemed like just another episode though. Definitely enjoyed season 1 though!
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #872 on: February 16, 2016, 12:34:19 pm »
so did anyone watch vinyl?

getting some bad headlines from the usual suspects
but I've not seen it or read any of the reviews

I watched most of it. It is too heavy handed, but I actually like the music.
watched it and liked it.  Found ray ramono annoying, but Andrew Dice Clay was awesome
didn't realize it was 2 hours though, but time flew

slack

K8teebug

« Reply #873 on: February 18, 2016, 11:14:17 am »
Is anyone else watching OJ? I got sucked in. I have hated most everything Ryan Murphy has done, but I'm liking this. And I really really really didn't want to watch it.

Space Freely

« Reply #874 on: February 18, 2016, 11:24:42 am »
Caught up on Better Call Saul over the weekend and caught the season premiere last night. Season premiere seemed like just another episode though. Definitely enjoyed season 1 though!

I've watched the first three episodes the last three nights.

It's good, but I find myself consulting the wiki to fully understand what's going on plotwise. Perhaps that's more a sign of my growing senility than a knock on the show.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #875 on: February 18, 2016, 11:26:09 am »
Is anyone else watching OJ? I got sucked in. I have hated most everything Ryan Murphy has done, but I'm liking this. And I really really really didn't want to watch it.
I'm enjoying it and ditto your thoughts re: Ryan Murphy.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #876 on: February 18, 2016, 03:51:45 pm »

I've watched the first three episodes the last three nights.

It's good, but I find myself consulting the wiki to fully understand what's going on plotwise. Perhaps that's more a sign of my growing senility than a knock on the show.
The first 3 episodes felt like they were trying to hook everything with "LOOK LOOK ITS A BREAKING BAD SPINOFF" before it found it's feet with Saul's true backstory. The latter half of the season feels like a totally different TV show.

Was curious about the "flash forward" that both season premieres started with, that was never referenced again in season 1. Then they started season 2 with another one.... It was just odd. I guess we'll get more into that as the show goes on.
‼‼?‼‼

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #877 on: February 22, 2016, 10:55:43 am »
Binge watched the first 6 episodes of Judd Apatow's "Love" last night. It's entertaining and hooked me, I don't think it has a lot of laughs, but it is entertaining. After seeing her on Community for years, it's nice to see Gillian Jacobs with some grit to her character. Not on the level of Freaks and Geeks. there are some truly cringe-worthy moments, but it's nice to have characters you can root for [unlike Undeclared where almost everyone sucked].
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #878 on: February 22, 2016, 10:16:40 pm »

watched "vinyl" episodes 1 & 2 last night (free hbo wknd) - you have to suspend disbelief at times, but for music fanatics, it was pretty cool.  there was a mention of "the king biscuit flower hour" which i used to tape surreptitiously on my panasonic cassette recorder, next to my radio.
"peter grant" was smaller than i would have imagined, but he did throw a good tantrum.

yeah, I'm loving it.  Not sure what the hate is all about. 

What I'm not sure about is...most of the scenes (except for the nasty bits stuff...I just found out that Mick Jagger's son!)
Are they done with the original recordings and just get pretty decent lookalikes to do the scenes?  The Otis, Jerry Lee, NYDolls and Velvets I thought were all really great.  They were not perfect, but pretty darn close to the untrained eye.  The Robert Plant was just patently awful, but not everyone can bat 1000 on casting
I think the music selection are top notch too, not just playing the hits.  Really reaching back to some interesting roots music that I had never heard (or at least paid attention to)
Bobby Bland?s cover of "I'll Take Care of You"
Lee Dorsey - "Everything I Do Gonna Be Funky"(which I thought was a Lou Donaldson song)
the jimmy castor bunch "it's just begun"
ruth brown "mama he treats your daughter mean"
The Del-Tinos- "Nightlife"

Julian Casablancas does a solid velvet's "Run Run Run" and Ammie Mann does a spot on "Yesterday once more"

The sturgill song is good, but its extremely referential, so much so that it doesn't even sound like a Sturg song?

Came across this AWESOME site listing and linking of just about every song played as well as some contextual background.  Hope that bloger keeps that up for the rest of the season

Edit: he says "This is a continuing anthology and will be regularly updated"
also just found his Spotify play list

also this really happened...not quite as the show depicted, but cool non the less
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:19:10 pm by Sidehatch ★ |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| ❄️ »
slack

K8teebug

« Reply #879 on: February 23, 2016, 09:11:32 am »
On the inside the episode, they recap all the history they referenced. Still need to see ep 2.

I wish that it was just all fiction and they didn't try to have look-a-likes. I think it would make it better.

Holy crap were the last 2 X-Files epic fails. We'll always have episode 3.

« Reply #880 on: February 23, 2016, 09:40:23 am »
yeah I watched the first two and really was underwhelmed
slack

K8teebug

« Reply #881 on: February 23, 2016, 01:17:17 pm »
yeah I watched the first two and really was underwhelmed

Really watch the third one. It's everything that was ever awesome about the show. The rest of the episodes can be thrown out...

vansmack

« Reply #882 on: February 23, 2016, 03:50:55 pm »
also this really happened...not quite as the show depicted, but cool non the less

At the end of the version on HBOGo (rather than my DVR recorded version) they went through the details of some of the scenes from the pilot, including that one.  It was enjoyable for the writer to point out what inspired him, where he took liberties, and what he hoped the viewers see and hear.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:09:44 pm by vansmack »
27>34

killsaly

« Reply #883 on: February 23, 2016, 03:59:00 pm »
Binge watched the first 6 episodes of Judd Apatow's "Love" last night.
I need to check out Love...

Colleen Green said this about one of her songs being in the show:
Hey kids! Catch my song "Wild One" in episode 7 of the new Netflix series LOVE. As usual they've used my music to complement a scene involving sex and/or drug use. I definitely ain't mad although I do think it's irresponsible to show characters having unprotected sex.

vansmack

« Reply #884 on: February 23, 2016, 04:08:35 pm »
What I'm not sure about is...most of the scenes - Are they done with the original recordings and just get pretty decent lookalikes to do the scenes?  The Otis, Jerry Lee, NYDolls and Velvets I thought were all really great.  They were not perfect, but pretty darn close to the untrained eye.[/url]

Yes, I always enjoy seeing which actors play the look alikes in the credits at the end.  And most, but not all, are the original tracks.

The Robert Plant was just patently awful, but not everyone can bat 1000 on casting

I never met him obviously, but there are many older journo's who are saying that Plant was actually very extravagant like that back in the day and aren't surprised that many fans are hating that their "hero" is being portrayed that way, even though there's more truth than fiction there.  I'll see if I can find the link.

I think the music selection are top notch too, not just playing the hits.  Really reaching back to some interesting roots music that I had never heard

The soundtrack(s) are available from HBO Shop and are being added to streaming sites one week later.  The plan was to release a new one each week. Someone on Google Play has also started a playlist for all of the songs that appear.  I can't stop listening.

The sturgill song is good, but its extremely referential, so much so that it doesn't even sound like a Sturg song?

It is not what you would expect from Sturgill's first two albums, however, I suspect it's what we'll see in his third album which excites me.  My favorite part of his show is his cover of "Listening to the Rain/Motivator" which just shreds, especially the T-Rex part which is what I think inspired the soundtrack song.

Came across this AWESOME site listing and linking of just about every song played as well as some contextual background.  Hope that bloger keeps that up for the rest of the season

There goes my afternoon.  Wish I had that kind of time on my hands...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:16:07 pm by vansmack »
27>34