Author Topic: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion  (Read 651516 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
‼‼?‼‼

Space Freely

Re: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion
« Reply #1156 on: April 03, 2017, 05:08:03 pm »
My wife is telling me I need to watch some show called "Big Little Lies". But I'm behind on The Americans, Better Call Saul, and three seasons behind on Justified. Is Big Little Lies as good as any of those other shows?

« Reply #1157 on: April 03, 2017, 05:10:23 pm »
My wife is telling me I need to watch some show called "Big Little Lies". But I'm behind on The Americans, Better Call Saul, and three seasons behind on Justified. Is Big Little Lies as good as any of those other shows?
been hearing good things about it too
but seems kinda marketed to females if you ask me...so right up Julian's alley
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #1158 on: April 03, 2017, 05:12:40 pm »
been hearing good things about it too
but seems kinda marketed to females if you ask me...so right up Julian's alley

She also tries to get me to watch Girls as well. With little luck.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1159 on: April 03, 2017, 06:26:33 pm »
It's based on a beach fiction novel but it was very well done. I did not think I'd like it but did. Alexander Skarsgarrd and Nicole Kidman are early Emmy favorites for it.

That said, Space would probably prefer any of the other shows he's behind on more.
LVMH

« Reply #1160 on: April 03, 2017, 10:20:40 pm »
slack

« Reply #1161 on: April 03, 2017, 10:45:00 pm »
...so right up Julian's alley

I did not think I'd like it but did.

Why does vindication feel so good?
I mean, you're sort of collecting low-hanging fruit. "Julian is much more apt to appreciate 'fiction for women'" -- whatever that means -- is not exactly the boldest of calls.
LVMH

« Reply #1162 on: April 04, 2017, 11:15:15 am »
...so right up Julian's alley

I did not think I'd like it but did.

Why does vindication feel so good?
I mean, you're sort of collecting low-hanging fruit. "Julian is much more apt to appreciate 'fiction for women'" -- whatever that means -- is not exactly the boldest of calls.
it's not....but still felt good in these dark times
slack

« Reply #1163 on: April 04, 2017, 02:25:11 pm »
Big Little Lessons

"One of the many reasons that dismissals of Big Little Lies as a soap opera or chick lit rang so tone deaf is that they were half-right. This show had multiple scenes of a character clutching a wine glass while gazing soulfully into the sunset. But a basis in a previously dismissed or marginalized genre isn?t a knock against any given show ? it?s the entire story of modern prestige TV.

The Sopranos was a riff on rough-and-tough mob stories. Game of Thrones upgraded swords and sorcery for the liberal arts set. True Detective is named after a long-running pulp magazine. Half the fun of contemporary television is in eking great art out of what conventional wisdom and taste had once written off as worthless trash. Big Little Lies replicated the process with a different set of tropes: wealth, bitchy one-liners, domestic struggles, and wine. So much wine. The difference, of course, is that Big Little Lies? predecessors were working with source material that traditionally attracted a heavily male audience, a leg up that put them significantly closer to mainstream critical acceptance than stories about unfulfilled housewives."
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1164 on: April 04, 2017, 02:35:21 pm »
Looks like I'll be diving into Aussie dramas.. Spent all weekend watching Janet King which WETA recently aired two seasons of.  Nothing like a well crafted 8 episode legal drams thriller story arc to get engaged in.  Really am over the typical one hour and done of most US broadcast shows these days. 

Also, stumbled upon The Code another well done short Aussie mystery series.  It interestingly had the guy from Rectify with a very credible Aussie accent and Lucy Lawless in supporting roles.  It was on Acorn TV, so not sure where else it's streaming.
T.Rex

« Reply #1165 on: April 04, 2017, 02:39:42 pm »
Kosmo, have you seen the second season of The Missing? I just realized it exists and is out on Starz.

Speaking of Aussie series, the second season (dubbed China Girl) of one of my cult-faves Top Of the Lake, is coming out this fall.
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1166 on: April 04, 2017, 03:12:59 pm »
Yeah The Missing is running at the same time as Big Little Lies, pretty sure both had their finales this week.  Completely different story and cast except for the French Detective returns.  Case is more complex with more twists then series one.
T.Rex

I Know Now Why You Cry

« Reply #1167 on: April 04, 2017, 03:40:45 pm »
Housos is the only Australian tv show that anybody needs.

K8teebug

« Reply #1168 on: April 04, 2017, 04:28:38 pm »
I liked Big Little Lies and surprisingly, so did my husband. I liked the book for something fun to read after reading a bunch of really really heavy books in a row.

K8teebug

« Reply #1169 on: April 04, 2017, 04:29:19 pm »
Kosmo, have you seen the second season of The Missing? I just realized it exists and is out on Starz.

Speaking of Aussie series, the second season (dubbed China Girl) of one of my cult-faves Top Of the Lake, is coming out this fall.

Did not know the second season premiere of Top of the Lake was announced! Exciting!!!!! One of my all time favorites.