Author Topic: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion  (Read 612159 times)

ggw

Re: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion
« Reply #1320 on: September 05, 2018, 12:46:30 pm »
Season 2 of Ozark was pretty good (7.5/10). Better than season 1. They definitely focused much more on the women in season 2. Charlotte is kind of meh but Wendy, Ruth, and Darlene are great. I was disappointed in the finale. Obviously we are getting a season 3.

I first heard of this show the other day. How does it compare to Justified?

Similar settings and both stories revolve around crime, but that's about the extent of it.  There are no real "good" guys in Ozark and the bad guys aren't as colorful as in Justified.  There's no Raylan-Boyd dynamic.  And Jason Bateman's character isn't really likable nor could he carry the show on his own.  In terms of entertainment - it's nowhere near as good as Justified's good seasons, but it's better than the weak ones.

ggw

« Reply #1321 on: September 30, 2018, 08:52:54 am »
Barry - 7/10 - A bit uneven and the love interest is really annoying, but it can be very, very funny at times.

Maniac - 7/10 - Very entertaining but a little weak on storyline and character development.

« Reply #1322 on: November 08, 2018, 04:48:35 pm »
deadwood is coming back as a movie with most of the original cast...set ten years later
slack

ggw

« Reply #1323 on: November 08, 2018, 05:42:12 pm »
The Romanoffs is disappointing.  Entertaining and very well shot, but ultimately a bit bloated.  The first episode has been the best so far.

Homecoming is pretty good, but Bobby Cannavale has yet to meet a role he couldn't destroy with his patented overacting.  He is less awful than he was in Vinyl, but I can't grasp how this guy continues to land big roles.

« Reply #1324 on: November 08, 2018, 05:50:27 pm »
but Bobby Cannavale has yet to meet a role he couldn't destroy with his patented overacting. 
IMO Bobby does a fantastic reading of Chapter 13 in the Beastie Boys audio book
delivers it like a beat poet with a thick accent
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1325 on: November 08, 2018, 06:05:06 pm »
but Bobby Cannavale has yet to meet a role he couldn't destroy with his patented overacting. 

it's hard to over-act on audio only.
<sig>

ggw

« Reply #1326 on: November 08, 2018, 06:09:19 pm »

But I bet you can feel him gesticulating madly behind the mic.

vansmack

« Reply #1327 on: November 08, 2018, 06:12:57 pm »

But I bet you can feel him gesticulating madly behind the mic.

I'd almost be disappointed if he wasn't.
27>34

K8teebug

« Reply #1328 on: November 09, 2018, 10:17:43 am »
The Romanoffs is disappointing.  Entertaining and very well shot, but ultimately a bit bloated.  The first episode has been the best so far.

Homecoming is pretty good, but Bobby Cannavale has yet to meet a role he couldn't destroy with his patented overacting.  He is less awful than he was in Vinyl, but I can't grasp how this guy continues to land big roles.

I will always know him as the guy with the funky tasting spunk (their words, not mine) on Sex and the City.

Did like him in Boardwalk Empire though.

I listened to the podcast, but haven't gotten into the show yet. Kinda pissed Catherine Keener isn't in the main role...

Space Freely

« Reply #1329 on: November 09, 2018, 10:27:46 am »
Jack Whitehall: Travels with My Father

My favorite travel series, ever.

shemptiness

« Reply #1330 on: November 16, 2018, 12:40:00 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1331 on: November 19, 2018, 02:50:19 pm »
I will always know him as the guy with the funky tasting spunk (their words, not mine) on Sex and the City.

i'm having something of a senior moment here, so let's run with it:

when first read that parenthetical, i got "(in other words, not mine)" - and that generated sooooo many questions in my head... i'll spare you from those questions, but in essence i was wondering if you were going all Space on us.
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #1332 on: November 20, 2018, 09:01:13 am »
I've just watched Sex and the City one too many times...and a show like that sticks with ya (pun intended).

« Reply #1333 on: November 21, 2018, 09:08:16 am »
I would have never predicted that HBO would become one of my primary sources for news

Bill Maher...yes it's satire and yes it's liberal, but it's loaded with facts and spot on commentary.  been a fan for over 20 years

John Oliver Last Week Tonight.  The format is great...few funny bits with one deep dive into a topic that others just skim the surface.  This is really one of the best shows on TV. 

Vice News...some of the best investigative reporting out there IMO.Covering stories that no one else is.  Biggest problem for me, is it is such a depressing show, as there is so much hate and injustice in the world and they are just shining a light on it.  The recent one on mexico just floored me.

Axios.  Wow this is really good. Only seen one episode, but I love it.  The bouncy hand held camera stuff gets a little old though...guess we gotta get those millennials watching?  Run by some of the top brass that left Politico in 2016  (only a 4 episode series...maybe they will keep doing it?)

Pod Save America ...this was some really good stuff leading up to the election.  Yes was VERY liberal (but hey aren't all the smart good looking people liberal anyway).  They did a great job discussing the hot topics of the moment and also giving people ACTUAL ideas of things they could do right now to help the democrats win
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 09:15:14 am by Sidehatch ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #1334 on: November 21, 2018, 09:16:25 am »
How is it "news" if it's all "very liberal?"

That's like calling Fox News "news."