Author Topic: Fri. April 7 at Marx: "We Fought the Big One"  (Read 2225 times)

Reechard D Taylor

Fri. April 7 at Marx: "We Fought the Big One"
« on: April 04, 2006, 10:22:00 pm »
Olla everyone!

We've got a very exciting Friday night planned at the Marx Cafe this week as Brandon and I welcome critically acclaimed and internationally renowned sound installation artist, graphic design guru, dj and fellow music fiend Richard Chartier to this month's "We Fought the Big One." Yes, your eyes did not deceive you. Richard Chartier will be fighting the Big One this Friday! Woo-hoo!

OK, I know what you're probably thinking: isn't that the guy that I read about in the Post Express who did some sort of weird live electronic sound performance at the Hirshhorn for the Sugimoto exhibit last week? Yes it is.

Of course, if you're familiar with much of the underground DC music scene, you may even be wondering if it's the same Richard Chartier who djs one of the coolest and weirdest dj nights to ever grace the city, Procedure, along with his partners in crime against the musical mainstream, Mark Williams & Kyle Storm. Um...yeah, same guy.

Now if you happen to have your ear to the ground of what's happening on the fringes of experimental independent music, especially electronic music, are bedfellows with D.C.'s more left-of-center underground art community, you may also be asking yourself if this is the same Richard Chartier that has recorded for labels based in Germany, Japan, Canada, Italy and the Netherlands, to name just a few. Yes it is. And let me tell you, Richard gets around---he's performed live in virtually every country save Ethiopia and he probably had a live performance there when he was 10 years old or something, but I digress...

All impressive credentials aside, Richard is at heart an unabashed lover of unusual and strange pop and non-pop music, so it made perfect sense that he would be spinning records with us sooner or later and well, the night has arrived! Richard has promised Brandon and myself that he has something *really special* prepared for this month's Big One, so I would try to arrive as early as possible. You don't want to miss out on this one my friends---this Friday promises to be a very memorable, exciting and unpredictable evening...

Hope to see ya there!
 Rick
 aka Friend O'Guy Chadwick

"We Fought the Big One"
 at Marx Cafe
 3203 Mt. Pleasant St. NW
 Washington DC
 10pm - 3am  
 21+  NO COVER

"An evening celebrating strange and moody post-punk, shoegaze and off-kilter independent music."