Author Topic: Comic books and other nerdy topics  (Read 136659 times)

atomic

Re: Comic books and other nerdy topics
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 01:55:03 pm »
what it your favorite comic series of all time?
Classic GI Joe, Sandman, first Image books...

I read Sandman but I don't think it is all that great.  I did like the first "Death" series.  Second one not as much.

Also, should we discuss slacks in this thread or the old one.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 02:01:50 pm »
I personally love Sandman and everything Neil has written so far. 

Ghost Folk is a genre but I do not think that many artists are creating music in it.  Mainly I listen to Ellah A Thaun, the same person from the YouTube thread where I first mentioned the genre. 

Walks you outgrew anime?  Too bad, there are some really good series being made at this time...

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 02:08:27 pm »
My six yr old plays Mine Craft all the time. Should I be worried? What do y'all think of that game?

Minecraft is yesterday.  She needs Flappy Bird.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 02:10:47 pm »
Speaking of video games, anyone else excited for Elder Scrolls Online?  I have been part of the beta test, and love it so far. I plan on getting it for PS4, but need to buy a PS4 first...

ggw

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 02:21:13 pm »
My six yr old plays Mine Craft all the time. Should I be worried? What do y'all think of that game?

Children under 8 who regularly play video games show an increase in depression and anxiety, a decreased ability to separate fantasy from reality, reduced concentration skills, and exhibit poor academic performance.  Only lazy, crappy parents let their kids play video games.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 02:23:23 pm »
my son loves this game.  we don't let him play during the week anymore.  weekends only and just make sure he's not cracking out on it too hard. 

He got a kindle fire for xmas and you can lock down the parental controls hard.  Ie, only x amount of video game time on weekdays, or none at all, x hours on weekend, totally locks after 8 on weeknights, etc. 

I'm not really a fan but there are worse games i suppose

Keeping track of/limiting screen time is a high priority in our house.  And very very unpopular.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:26:44 pm by chaz »

atomic

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 02:30:14 pm »

Children under 8 who regularly play video games show an increase in depression and anxiety, a decreased ability to separate fantasy from reality, reduced concentration skills, and exhibit poor academic performance.  Only lazy, crappy parents let their kids play video games.

When I had foster kids the boys under 11 really didn't like to play video games.   I would limit the older kids to 1/2 hour a day during the week and 1 hour a day during the weekend.  Similar rules for girls and the Internet.  Kids need to interact not stay in front of a tv screen all day.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 04:52:52 pm »
i was a big comic nerd in high school.  from what i remember, my fav series were: Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, The Weird (mini-series), Crisis on Infinite Earths, Secret Wars I & II, X-Men.  lots of others that i'm forgetting right now...

walkies: you get bonus points for naming Alpha Flight, loved that one too ;D
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 04:34:28 pm »
i  have this horrifying image that if i were to dress up as something nerdy that i worship for this con i planning on going to in april . . . that it would come off as cheesily craptastic like something a blind three year old put together.   like this

or this, which im dying over

Hexenjagd

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 06:26:05 pm »
I plan on cosplaying as a member of a Stargate team if I ever go to a con...

Today I hit up Third Eye in Annapolis to pick up Hellblazer volume 2. I loved part one, and don't know why I didn't read this series a lot sooner. It is definitely my type of comic (weird/funny/well written/mature themed/horror/on Vertigo)...

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 07:41:30 pm »
i dont know why . . . but i worship the movie star gate but hated the series.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 08:00:55 pm »
That is strange... I love both. I can't wait until it gets reborn... I loved sg1, Atlantis and universe... Of course the movie is classic.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 12:55:42 pm »
Also, you must not worship Stargate if you spell it star gate.   

I collect posters, and one of my favorites is one I have had since I was a teen - a Stargate poster from the original home video release (my cousin and I used to get mom and pop video stores in our area in the 90s to give us their extra posters; ones they didn't hang up or ones they took down and were going to throw away).  I have some cool ones from this period; Pulp Fiction, Interview with a Vampire, Stargate, Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, and a few others...

Got Haggis?

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 12:59:12 pm »
minecraft is great...kids love it

i have played the crap out of it on multiplayer servers....but haven't played in a few years

currently on a kick playing a game called Rust...which is like FPS Minecraft.  have to build bases to survive, raid other bases to steal their supplies, etc

i just started reading the comic Saga and its pretty great

Hexenjagd

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 01:01:37 pm »
One of the guys at Third Eye suggested Saga to me... Maybe I will give it a look the next time I go there.