Author Topic: Comic books and other nerdy topics  (Read 136070 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: Comic books and other nerdy topics
« Reply #660 on: December 05, 2016, 12:57:39 pm »
Went to Amalgam Comics in Philly over the weekend. Super awesome comic shop that also double as a communal space. They have couches up front, coffee tables and chairs with tables set up on the side, and in the back they have a giant conference table. The group up front seemed to be having some kind of meeting, the side tables were people drinking coffee and reading books, and the back table was actually a huge D&D group. I listened in to their session and realized they were playing the quest that I'm trying to get my group to play next!!! I had to leave lol.

Their ACTUAL comic selection was pretty standard and considering how big the place is, I thought there would be a lot more.

That being said, I did like the communal aspect of it. I think too many places in and around DC are just giant comic shops with no sense of community. I guess that's the way to culture has been bred. It was refreshing to have a welcoming place to just chill out and read comics and maybe meet some other nerds. Hard to beat the collection at Atomic City though!
‼‼?‼‼

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #661 on: January 28, 2017, 04:51:47 pm »
<sig>

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #662 on: December 19, 2017, 04:38:40 pm »
Did anyone Star Wars?
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #663 on: June 03, 2021, 11:02:56 am »
saw that a 1914 Babe Ruth trading card valued at a record $6 million

so not sold
(although someone recently paid 4.6 mill for a Luka Dončić   1:1 Logoman Autographed rookie card....whoandWTAF)

for those who think Crypto is a bad idea for investing...I give you https://collectable.com/

The #1 Fractional Investing Platform for Sports
Sports collectibles have significantly outperformed the S&P 500 and other asset classes over multi-year investment horizons.* We make the top end of the market accessible to all, creating affordable opportunities for buying & trading shares of iconic, blue-chip cards and memorabilia that were previously reserved for wealthy insiders.

for only $8, you can own a fractional investment into a pair of shoes that Kobe wore in a game and signed after!?!

although seemed to pay well for those who got in on the Wilt the stilt IPO
https://collectable.com/offerings/wilt-chamberlain-buy-out-offer-result/
shareholders will receive a payout of $16.65 per share, after accounting for Collectable’s equity interests and broker dealer transaction fees. This represents a 66.5% return in just 4 days.
slack

Starsky

« Reply #664 on: June 03, 2021, 11:08:38 am »
It seems like there is too much cash out there chasing too few goods - including real estate-and services... speculative bubbles everywhere you look

At the same time, the cash is concentrated in fewer hands...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #665 on: June 03, 2021, 01:24:43 pm »
Fractional investing in art has been a thing for decades. The sports card thing is just a new iteration of what's essentially a SPAC.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #666 on: June 03, 2021, 01:38:14 pm »
Am sure everything has been done before but the widespread  scale price increases from collectibles to stocks to real estate to soybean prices to meat prices to meme stocks to crypto tells me something else is going on

It seems logical to me that if you have interest rates stuck near zero for over a decade and central banks the world over pumping as much money out as possible the value of the money vs the goods would eventually decrease and you would need more money to buy the same goods but....at the end of the day I don’t know what’s going on or why... just seems like something is happening but I don’t (really) know what it is (Mr Jones)

Anyways since i don’t have gobs of cash lying around and don’t like to gamble it really doesn’t matter but one can’t help but think about it when it’s all around

« Reply #667 on: June 03, 2021, 01:54:11 pm »
did you walk into the room with your pencil in your hand??

the interest rates near zero for decades is just criminal, not sure how to fix it
How do they expect anyone to save in something stable and not gamble their life savings on speculative things?

I do think it's all about diversity.  Some in the bank, some in real estate, some in stocks/EFTs/bonds (with diversity there too)
I don't think having crypto and collectibles (or NFTs) as a part of that is a bad idea
but when you start planning your retirement on a collectible...now that's a bad idea
most people think that 'hey if it's worth $500, I should be able to sell it for $500'  and you'd be lucky to get half that, maybe even less

Just went out last night and met up with some friends for drinks and pool (I know right! it's been a long fn time)
one of them treated us all because he bought a bunch of AMC stock and sold it yesterday (bought at 6 sold at 60)
that wasn't investing any more than it was putting it all on red 15 on the craps table
slack

Starsky

« Reply #668 on: June 04, 2021, 01:47:28 pm »
True.. that’s gambling..high stakes gambling

Unless he showed me receipts i wouldn’t believe a word Haworth says!

I think long term practically zero interest rates have made sense given where we are but I think there is going to be collateral damage. Nothing is free in life...what goes up comes down etc

Not a fan of speculation but I don’t have the problem of having cash I am willing to gamble lying around..

Should I be rooting for inflation though?

Inflation favors those with large debts.. we have a hefty mortgage

« Reply #669 on: June 04, 2021, 01:58:20 pm »
even without that, he's loaded....heir to a shipping magnate for reals, not like Jules
slack

Starsky

« Reply #670 on: June 04, 2021, 02:03:50 pm »
even without that, he's loaded....heir to a shipping magnate for reals, not like Jules

I know!  good for him!

« Reply #671 on: June 14, 2021, 02:27:48 pm »
slack

GAY,GUY

« Reply #672 on: January 02, 2023, 10:33:12 am »
I just, starting playing Zelda  Breathe of the Wild . . . and it's all I can think about.

Great, just great.