Author Topic: Best album of the Noughties  (Read 10867 times)

azaghal1981

Re: Best album of the Noughties
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 09:37:58 am »
Agree that White Pepper was the last solid top-to-bottom album but Quebec had quite a few gems on it. Guess "shame maker" and "Your Party" were pretty funny but the rest of LC is disposable IMO.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:44:42 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 09:59:50 am »
White Pepper was their last great album.  There were a few good songs after, but there are only a few.
Now their live show during that period was still top notch

I caught them at the Fox in Oakland in 2011 and they melted my face so bad I had to go in for reconstructive surgery
Look at this set list Ween @ the Fox 

I never thought I could enjoy a cover of let's dance...but that was really amazing and totally unexpected

I've seen Gene solo and really...it felt kinda sad. Like the way I feel at Zoo's or Strip clubs.  Like...do you really want to be here... are you enjoying this?

Starting at C&C to WP they really made some incredible music
and hearing them live was always a treat, such a back catalog that they could play 3 hour sets and still not play 1/2 of my favorite songs

Really sad that I may never get Ween live again
people always wanted to call them mock-rock, but they really were so much more
They were their own genre
slack

Yada

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 10:10:50 am »
White Pepper was their last great album.  There were a few good songs after, but there are only a few.
Now their live show during that period was still top notch

I caught them at the Fox in Oakland in 2011 and they melted my face so bad I had to go in for reconstructive surgery
Look at this set list Ween @ the Fox 

I never thought I could enjoy a cover of let's dance...but that was really amazing and totally unexpected

I've seen Gene solo and really...it felt kinda sad. Like the way I feel at Zoo's or Strip clubs.  Like...do you really want to be here... are you enjoying this?

Starting at C&C to WP they really made some incredible music
and hearing them live was always a treat, such a back catalog that they could play 3 hour sets and still not play 1/2 of my favorite songs

Really sad that I may never get Ween live again
people always wanted to call them mock-rock, but they really were so much more
They were their own genre

Gener is broke as a joke... I'd imagine they'll get back together one day. I agree with all of the above, one of the best rock shows around.

azaghal1981

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 10:40:49 am »
The last time I saw them was at Sonar. I was mostly bored. Finished on a high note with a blistering Mushroom Festival in Hell though.

It looks a lot better than it was on paper.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:44:34 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

Yada

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 10:52:55 am »
The 930 shows in 04' and 05' were some of the best Ween sets I've ever seen.

azaghal1981

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 11:06:04 am »
Yes, yes they were.

04 especially.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 11:43:42 am »
the level of the live shows continued to be really high but I would say the very last few years the level dipped...

I was late to realize that Gener had developed such a problem with drugs.. there is some crazy youtube video of him losing it..

I had to trek for my last two shows at Dewey and Richmond....

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 01:34:47 pm »
the level of the live shows continued to be really high but I would say the very last few years the level dipped...

I was late to realize that Gener had developed such a problem with drugs.. there is some crazy youtube video of him losing it..

I noticed on setlist.fm....no DC dates for a few years back...surprising since they lived close by and would always pack the 930
slack

Yada

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 01:36:57 pm »

I noticed on setlist.fm....no DC dates for a few years back...surprising since they lived close by and would always pack the 930

I never quite understood that either... I'm sure if you go back I was bugging in the "hey seth" thread to get them back in the club.

They played DAR in maybe 07' which was lame-o.

hutch

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 02:24:40 pm »
and i was sad in the end to miss ween at DAR even if it was lame;o

my DAR boycott was in operation

it seemed the last few years they tried on purpose to play newer different places..they seemed to leave their home base phillly-dc area sort of behind looking for newer places like colorado..

James Ford

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2014, 02:29:12 pm »
Can you blame them? Better beer scene, better hiking, and legal weed.

it seemed the last few years they tried on purpose to play newer different places..they seemed to leave their home base phillly-dc area sort of behind looking for newer places like colorado..

Yada

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 02:39:11 pm »

I ended up getting second row seats for like $10 so I came out of my retirement for that show... I haven't been back since.

azaghal1981

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 02:44:13 pm »
I want to say that DAR was after the Sonar show. The combination of it taking place at DAR and the lackluster Sonar show caused me to skip it.
احمد

Yada

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2014, 04:49:29 pm »
From Deaner's FB page...

John and Peter's Place tonight, a very special version of the Invitational----I'll just leave it at that. Doors at 9pm...................don't miss this one., trust me.

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2014, 10:59:30 am »
Some how this has become the ween chat room

I do like his new logo

slack