Author Topic: Record Store Day 4/19/14  (Read 44957 times)

stevewizzle

Re: Record Store Day 4/19/14
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2014, 12:58:35 pm »
pull your head out of your brewing kit... I watch about the same amount of movies you do a year and I even know where that gif is from.

is that the guy from friends?

is it boogie nights?

seriously, no clue.

Yada

« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2014, 01:03:32 pm »
pull your head out of your brewing kit... I watch about the same amount of movies you do a year and I even know where that gif is from.

is it boogie nights?

seriously, no clue.

Footloose.

stevewizzle

« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2014, 01:04:36 pm »
while other people shouldn't care, you probably shouldn't care so much about the people that do care. or care so much about staying on topic.

does this require a meta tag?
I don't care.  I was curious as to why others cared. 

As for staying on topics: we cant have complete anarchy around these parts.  Or why not just have a chat room instead of a message board?

i posted my RSD purchases.  sadly, no one cared.

you say you don't like old movies, and it sparked conversation.  

i also don't like old movies! should i take our conversation to a new thread, perhaps "2014 RSD commentary"?

organized anarchy is plenty fine with me.

atomic

« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2014, 01:19:18 pm »
Why does anyone on here care care what anybody else likes?  Music, movies, tv shows, or whatever; we all have different tastes. I don't like a lot of music that I am sure a lot of people on here like; including the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Queens of the Stone Age (and I am NOT listing these to start an argument, just saying we are all DIFFERENT). 

SO?  AND?  It matters to you because?   ::)

I do not like old movies.  I base this off of the DVD collection that I bought over a ten year period (I do not buy movies anymore).  The oldest movie in my collection (which used to be over 600, but I sold a bit and am now around 500) of movies that I consider to be my FAVORITE movies of all time, is Easy Rider.

And I have seen PLENTY of old movies too (and didn't enjoy most of them), so that also factored into my statement.

Now can we either start a movie thread, go back to talking about RSD exclusives, or just drop this?

Because you make a stupid statement.  YOU don't like old movies.  You don't provide any reason.  Why does how old a movie is make it better or worse than any other movie. It is a ridiculous statement.  I mean you could hate every old movie I like and I could understand that but to say you don't like old movies makes no sense at all.

Has anyone ever made a better suspense movie than Hitchcock has?  As for easy rider I love that movie but I love all those cheaply made biker movies.  Like "The Wild One", "Wild Angels", "Hells Angels on Wheels".  I love Bogart Movies, I love Bettie Davis movies, I love Cary Grant,  Jimmie Stewart, Kathern Hepburn etc..

But even silent movies are great.  I have seen a Charlie Chaplin flick with the BSO.  I have seen a silent Hitchcock movie at the AFI with live music. 

What is it about old movies you don't like?  I mean you can go to theater and it would be the same if you saw it 100 years ago or now.  Do you not like the theater? 

Why talk about Record store day anymore.  It sucked and it is over.  A stupid gimic.  A day to avoid record stores. 

atomic

« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2014, 01:21:15 pm »

is it boogie nights?

seriously, no clue.

Footloose.

I finally saw Footloose for the first time this year. It was Ok but still I bet it is better than the remake.  I never understood people remaking good movies.  Shouldn't they remake the bad ones to improve them?  I mean if a movie is great in the past why can't people just watch the old movie.  Maybe it is for people who are like Killsally who think newer movies are always better.

Yada

« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2014, 01:21:41 pm »
Why does anyone on here care care what anybody else likes?  Music, movies, tv shows, or whatever; we all have different tastes. I don't like a lot of music that I am sure a lot of people on here like; including the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Queens of the Stone Age (and I am NOT listing these to start an argument, just saying we are all DIFFERENT). 

SO?  AND?  It matters to you because?   ::)

I do not like old movies.  I base this off of the DVD collection that I bought over a ten year period (I do not buy movies anymore).  The oldest movie in my collection (which used to be over 600, but I sold a bit and am now around 500) of movies that I consider to be my FAVORITE movies of all time, is Easy Rider.

And I have seen PLENTY of old movies too (and didn't enjoy most of them), so that also factored into my statement.

Now can we either start a movie thread, go back to talking about RSD exclusives, or just drop this?

Because you make a stupid statement.  YOU don't like old movies.  You don't provide any reason.  Why does how old a movie is make it better or worse than any other movie. It is a ridiculous statement.  I mean you could hate every old movie I like and I could understand that but to say you don't like old movies makes no sense at all.

Has anyone ever made a better suspense movie than Hitchcock has?  As for easy rider I love that movie but I love all those cheaply made biker movies.  Like "The Wild One", "Wild Angels", "Hells Angels on Wheels".  I love Bogart Movies, I love Bettie Davis movies, I love Cary Grant,  Jimmie Stewart, Kathern Hepburn etc..

But even silent movies are great.  I have seen a Charlie Chaplin flick with the BSO.  I have seen a silent Hitchcock movie at the AFI with live music. 

What is it about old movies you don't like?  I mean you can go to theater and it would be the same if you saw it 100 years ago or now.  Do you not like the theater? 

Why talk about Record store day anymore.  It sucked and it is over.  A stupid gimic.  A day to avoid record stores. 

Why did you go to a record store then on record store day?

Hexenjagd

« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2014, 01:25:56 pm »

Has anyone ever made a better suspense movie than Hitchcock has? 
I didn't say anything stupid.  You interpreted my statement as being stupid. 

I think your statement about Hitchcock is stupid, but I will keep that to myself.

Again, why do you care atomic?  I do not like old movies.  DID I FUCKING SAY THEY WERE SHIT? No, I said I didn't like watching them.  End of statement. 

Remind me to talk smack about any opinion you might have. 

I will start now.  You might think it is a stupid gimmick, but record stores make a lot of money during this day (and YES there is a hassle involved for all parties).  How do I know this?  I am basing it off of what the owners of Coda Records and Celebrated Summer Records said, in a conversation I was part of, the day after RSD.  And if it wasn't for RSD, we probably would have  a lot less record stores to choose from.  It is hard to compete with the internet.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:29:05 pm by Hexenjagd »

Hexenjagd

« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2014, 01:30:15 pm »
i posted my RSD purchases.  sadly, no one cared.
I care!
snagged the three albums i was looking for...
-remastered oracular spectacular
-best of sub pop/pissed jeans live at bbc
-parquet courts 7" single. 

the parquet courts 7 comes with sheet music.
Not bad!  I almost picked up the Parquet Courts 7 inch, but decided to go with the Wildhoney release.

atomic

« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2014, 02:08:30 pm »

Has anyone ever made a better suspense movie than Hitchcock has? 
I didn't say anything stupid.  You interpreted my statement as being stupid. 

I think your statement about Hitchcock is stupid, but I will keep that to myself.

Again, why do you care atomic?  I do not like old movies.  DID I FUCKING SAY THEY WERE SHIT? No, I said I didn't like watching them.  End of statement. 

Remind me to talk smack about any opinion you might have. 

I will start now.  You might think it is a stupid gimmick, but record stores make a lot of money during this day (and YES there is a hassle involved for all parties).  How do I know this?  I am basing it off of what the owners of Coda Records and Celebrated Summer Records said, in a conversation I was part of, the day after RSD.  And if it wasn't for RSD, we probably would have  a lot less record stores to choose from.  It is hard to compete with the internet.

Record store day sucks.  I don't know why you have to abbreviate it every time you type it.  It is laziness. The standard to abbreviate something is to type it in full the first time and then in parenthesis put the abbreviation.  Every time after that you can use the abbreviation.  Record Store makes me not want to shop at record stores.  It is a day for people who collect music not for people who actually want to listen to it. I would love to have the first Dresden Dolls album on vinyl.  Why does it have to come out on a day when people will buy it just to hope to resell it later for profit.  Same with Magnetic Fields 69 love songs.  That is my favorite album.  Why can't I buy that from a store now?  Why did I have to get in on some day I had to wait in line for 3 hours?

I buy stuff from record stores all the time.  Some slob who is willing to wait in line for hours gets stuff that I want to listen to. 

Anyway tell me your problems with Rear Window and Vertigo and their failings as movies.  I want to know how your mind works.  Saying you don't like old movies is the equivilant of Hutch saying he doesn't like new music.  I don't get it.  Why does when something was recorded or filmed have to do with whether something is good.  It makes no sense. It is not logical. 

atomic

« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2014, 02:10:36 pm »

I bought the original vinyl release of oracular spectacular.  It was of awful quality.  Why do they need a record store day release to put out a proper quality version? 

Yada

« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2014, 02:13:59 pm »

I bought the original vinyl release of oracular spectacular.  It was of awful quality.  Why do they need a record store day release to put out a proper quality version? 

why did you partake if you're anti RSD?

Hexenjagd

« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2014, 02:16:14 pm »
Jeez atomic take a chill pill.

I approve of RSD and don't like old movies.  End of discussion.  And YES, I plan on typing RSD EVERY TIME!

WOWZA. 

Hexenjagd

« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2014, 02:17:22 pm »
I usually don't shop at record stores. I can buy everything online, or from the bands I go see on tour.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2014, 02:19:21 pm »
Also I never said any SPECIFIC movies had "failings" so I am not sure why you want to mention them. 

As for your examples, PLENTY of good suspenseful movies have been released since (looks up dates) 1954 and 1958.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2014, 02:19:34 pm »
And YES, I plan on typing RSD EVERY TIME!
You know, he does have a point. Every time anyone types RSD, I thought they were abbreviating "Really Stupid Dickhead" because "Atomic" was still too long to type in our fast-paced society.
LVMH