Author Topic: META: Boardie Non-Denominational Secret Gift Exchange Spectacular 2014  (Read 16116 times)

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
A very kind boardies donation of a Pavement LP to the Julian For Moderator Super-PAC has me thinking what fun it would be to do a non-denominational gift giving with each other completely independent of any holiday. Some people call this a "Secret Santa" but I don't want to exclude anyone who thought Santa's obesity was a poor example for children or has some other issue with Santa, so we won't use that term officially.

I have graciously agreed to do all of the leg work as far as randomly drawing names out of a hat and getting everyone the addresses of whomever they select.

Pretty typical rules/instructions: PM me by May 31st if you want in (EDIT: with a mailing address but NOT your name) and I'll send out that day PMs to everyone of whom you drew to give a gift to. (That same person will likely not be purchasing for you as well so don't ruin the surprise.) If you have any difficulties in coming up with a gift idea, PM me again and I'll send your person a request for potential gift dos and donts. Please mail your gift by June 21st, 2014 or face horrible derision from our community. I think we can all live with a $1000 limit on the gifts.

Sound like fun? Of course it does. Of anyone has any questions/suggestions to make this better, please let me know.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 04:37:44 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Can you guarantee I'll pick myself?  I do love buying myself presents...

Can you guarantee I'll pick myself?  I do love buying myself presents...
I can guarantee you will not pick yourself. Anyone I draw for who gets themselves will be re-done.

LVMH

Do we think it would be easier for everyone who signs up to give their likes and dislikes in this thread as opposed to waiting for someone to ask and me facilitating the acquisition of that information? Or is that less fun?
LVMH

Yada

Hmmm... so Julian gets an inventory of all of our names and addresses? No thanks!

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Should gifts be small enough to fit through a mail slot, or will you be handling distribution for us?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
And what of perishable gifts?  Or gifts of service?

Hmmm... so Julian gets an inventory of all of our names and addresses? No thanks!
I will swear, under punishment of banishment, that I will not use the addresses for anything other then this gift exchange and will destroy all records of them immediately after it's over. Also, there is no reason for anyone to give me their real name. Gifts can be sent to the board name.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
And what about thank you notes?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
Will we be required to post selfies with said gifts, thus revealing our appearance?

Should gifts be small enough to fit through a mail slot, or will you be handling distribution for us?
Not necessarily. Anything you can package the US Postal Service (or a competitor) will ship, in my experience. When we did this on hfstival.com back in the day, people got cardboard models of Ronald Reagen, a guitar, and other large items.

I will not be handling distribution. Please factor shipping costs into your budget when shopping.

And what of perishable gifts?  Or gifts of service?
I'm not going to make any hard and fast rules on this unless there's some overwhelming consensus demanding it. As a general suggestion as someone who has done these before, use your best discretion.

If it's illegal to mail _____, maybe it's not the best idea to purchase ______ unless you plan to hand deliver it. Donations to charities are much more appreciated if you know that charity is near and dear to the "gift recipient" not yourself. If it's a "gift of service" (I'm assuming you mean, for example, a masseuse giving someone a certificate for a free massage as a gift?) I'd make sure the person lives close enough that taking you up on it isn't an inconvenience for them and you have a good-faith belief they will actually enjoy the service. Unless you are really good friends with someone outside of the board and know they will share your sense of humor, joke gifts are probably a bad idea (e.g. sending a known Nationals fan Orioles merchandise or vice versa).

We are all adults who have ostensibly given gifts many times before, just think it through before you commit.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 04:11:25 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

And what about thank you notes?

Will we be required to post selfies with said gifts, thus revealing our appearance?
How about we all agree a description/photo of what we got (ourselves not included unless we really want to for some reason) and any thank you's can go in this thread?
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
So if I sign up, I have to give a thoughtful gift to (possibly) a complete stranger?

i am gay and i like cats

ill tell you what i want . . . sex.  no wrapping, no money involved, no thinking, no rules.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
Could you guarantee that I get your Julian's name?